Thread: !!! RETREAT SITTING SCHEDULE IS HERE !!!

!!! RETREAT SITTING SCHEDULE IS HERE !!!

Hi Everyone,

The upcoming Two-Day Jukai-Rohatsu Retreat Sitting Schedule is now available for download (PDF) at this link ...

http://jundotreeleaf.googlepages.com/Tr ... hedule.pdf

I need to explain how it will work ... and I believe all will be surprisingly easy once I do:

We will be sitting in Japan from 6AM to near midnight both Saturday and Sunday (Japan time) . That means that the live netcast will actually run FRIDAY evening to SUNDAY morning/afternoon in most of North America and Europe (I have included in the schedule equivalent times in New York and London). There is a blank column on the attached schedule for you to pencil in your equivalent local times.

So, here is how you can do the Retreat:

I - One way is to just sit from your morning to late night, in your time zone Saturday and Sunday, using the recorded versions only (recordings of each segment, e.g., Zazen, Samu Work Practice, Oryoki, will be posted by me on the Treeleaf Blog as soon as we finish live sitting). You will follow us in "real time", but just a few hours after us in Japan. (You do not need to begin at 6am as we do, but I ask that you begin your day in your local time zone no earlier than 4am, and no later than 7am, adjusting the schedule accordingly)

II- The other way is to sit, as much as you can, with live segments, and then sit with any missed segments via their recorded version by simply adding the missed segments (for example, that happened during your sleeping time) right on the end of each day. You will need to figure out the schedule to see which activities you can join live, which you will need to join later as a replay recording.

I DO NOT CARE IF YOU CHANGE THE ORDER OF SEGMENTS, SO LONG AS ... AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ... YOU DO ALL SEGMENTS, AND OVER A SOLID TWO DAYS.

I have designed the schedule, as much as possible, so that you can do this. So, for example, the activities you miss while you are asleep (like Samu Work Practice) can be easily moved to the end. Other activities (such as meals) were positioned by me to be in about the right time so people in many time zones can join us 'live' (at least most of the time).

NOTE TO PARENTS: Please feel free to devote Samu work periods to family/child care, extend or move Samu work periods as necessary to do so, or convert some "Zazen" periods to additional Samu. If you miss any Zazen, it would be nice if you do "make-up" Zazen by adding it at a convenient time. REMEMBER: All parental activities should be done with an attitude of Samu, and as much as possible, in Silence. All will be part of the Retreat!

Finally, I am terrible with numbers. I have checked several times, but if there are any mistakes in my time calculations ... please forgive me, and we will correct them.

Gassho, Jundo

Re: !!! RETREAT SITTING SCHEDULE IS HERE !!!

A parent wrote to ask whether ... if really really really necessary, a parent can divide the Retreat into 3 or 4 days to allow for childcare duties.

Yes, if really really necessary. It would be better to do the Retreat as a solid two days, but if you need to break it up over 3 or 4 days (and sit the Retreat when the kids are in bed, in school etc.) ... NO PROBLEM, if you really need to do so!

Just consider the 3 or 4 days a 3 or 4 days Retreat, and try to spend those days with that attitude.

Gassho, J

PS - The above does not mean that folks without a very very very good excuse (life threatening?) should divide up the Retreat over more than two days.

Jundo

thank you for all the effort you have out into this. The spare bedroom & family are all ready for this adventure. Having read your post I intend to follow suggestion one, which (for me) is the less complicated option.

I will also have to get all the work chores out of the way this week, so I can run from one working week - straight into the next one.

I have some samu options in mind (daylight - tidy the toolshed, night-time tidy some draws & cupboards). Just one question - would going for a 30 minute run also count?

Kindest regards

Jools

Hi Jools,

Yes, a 30 minute run can be your Samu. Just be silent, aware, leave the ipod home, do not seek to "get" anywhere ... one step by one step by one step.

Oh, and bow and recite the Gatha before getting in the shower!

By the way, a note to folks working with the recordings (I will repeat this many times during the week): Our technology is only as dependable as the internet, and this is all a big shoe-string experiment. If, by some chance, the recording fails for some segment, just keep going with the schedule. You will still be sitting with us. Generally time yourself too, in case the sound fails and a bell cannot be heard.

Being one with imperfections and difficulties is all part of Retreat!

Gassho, Jundo

Saturday and Sunday
    Is that Saturday December 6?

W

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Saturday and Sunday
    Is that Saturday December 6?

W
    Yes, this weekend. Gonna be there?

as i've mentioned before, the only way for me to do a retreat is to leave the area where the wifi signal, and solar power, is -- i will not even be able to power the laptop, as this would kill the car battery after a day or 2 -- the desert version of going off into a cave, basically, a camping version of a retreat -- and since it is difficult for me to get away, once i'm away, i want to stay away, so i will be extending the retreat beyond the 2 days, more like 7

i will have internet/laptop on 12/4 and 5, so i will use those days to prepare, review rituals and schedule

thanks, jundo

gassho, bob

Hi Roky,

You will still be with us.

By the way, I am just putting up a link to the Chant Book ...

Gassho, Jundo

As I just mentioned ...

Here is a link to the Chant Book for the Retreat ... 28 pages (PDF). Please print it out, place in a soft binder, and keep it near your Zafu (although not directly on the ground. A towel or cloth underneath is appropriate)

http://jundotreeleaf.googlepages.com/TR ... 120108.pdf

Gassho, Jundo

Howdy!
    Just posting to say i will be doing this live from start to finish since i have the block of time off as it is. Im a night owl so this works out fine.
    Thanks for all your effort Jundo!!
    Gassho, Dirk

Thanks for all the information Jundo, very clear and helpful..

I will be sitting live but in my own Time zone, so will go back when other are sleeping. I just need to sort a few furniture issues out but my lovely wife is all set and planning things to do with out boy. One question Jundo, Is it necessary for us to have our web cams plugged in or shall we just be the coloured square? I think there was an option of loading a photograph instead of a square, at some point but note sure if that's still running?

On a side note I have heard about how some people are effected during or after experiencing a retreat. (This being my first) I have been surprised the effect it has had before. I think it's quite apt for our timeless, non directional, placeless sitting.

All the best,

Philip

Jundo
    Yes, this weekend. Gonna be there?
    I'll stop by. Can't guarantee I'll sit the whole weekend though.

Gassho

Will

Hello all,

Thank you Jundo for the chant book and the schedule! I won't be able to sit with the live retreat this weekend, but I will think of you while doing my zazen on those days. I will be doing my retreat, next Monday and Tuesday. This week is dedicated to preparing my room in the basement for the retreat.

Jundo, I appreciate the allowance of reordering the schedule. I will make sure that I complete each segment, I just have to rearrange my zazen and samu pieces.

A question...I have no problem remaining in silence without electronics and such, but are we allowed to make short notes on any experiences we may have during the retreat? Just curious, I like to journal frequently, but I can put the pencil down too during the retreat. Any thoughts are welcomed...

Gassho,
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by plankton
    One question Jundo, Is it necessary for us to have our web cams plugged in or shall we just be the coloured square? I think there was an option of loading a photograph instead of a square, at some point but note sure if that's still running?
    Hi Philip,

I am going to be using primarily Ustream for the weekend, which is a one-way netcast (you can see us, I can't see you). I may test McBeam from time to time just to see how it works, but most of the time I will not use it for the Retreat.

However, if sitters want to use it for the Retreat, please do. But remember that the main "action" (ceremonies, Oryoki meals, etc.) will be on Ustream as a Live Netcast.

On a side note I have heard about how some people are effected during or after experiencing a retreat.
    A solitary, silent retreat can have great worth ... just the self sitting with the self. A group retreat can have great worth ... all our sentient selves together. I hope to have the best of both worlds in our alone-together retreat.

A question...I have no problem remaining in silence without electronics and such, but are we allowed to make short notes on any experiences we may have during the retreat? Just curious, I like to journal frequently, but I can put the pencil down too during the retreat. Any thoughts are welcomed...
    Hi Kelly,

I would ask folks not to journal, to avoid all reading material (other than what is needed for the retreat), avoid all media (phones and email) and maintain silence as much as possible (even when interacting with other people in your house during the weekend).

On the other hand, I would appreciate for folks to write some paragraphs on this Forum about their experience, but even then wait for a few days after the retreat so it all settles and brews.

Finally, if I have not mentioned before: you are allowed to drink coffee and tea, in moderation, to stay awake. Zen monks have a long friendly relationship with tea and a bit of caffeine ... if in moderation.

Gassho, Jundo

Hello all,

Jundo - thank you for your reply, I will place pen and paper aside until after the retreat :wink: ! I'm so glad you mentioned that we could drink some tea during the retreat. I'm not worried about rising early or staying awake during the day, but I tend to go to bed early (usually) at night.

I will pop in from time to time over the weekend to sit with you all, before I begin my retreat on Monday. I look forward to hearing about everyone's experience during this time.

Gassho,
    Kelly

hi all -- just to keep you posted, in case anyone wants to join me, i will be sitting without computer access, and will not even be able to play recorded sessions, due to the lack of electric power -- i will be off in an isolated part of the sonoran desert -- i will be bringing louie, my dog, because unfortunately, this is a major drug smuggling route(though i'm not opposed to anyone dropping a bail of pot by my van, i promise not to indulge myself)

i'm going to find a good campsite today, 12/5, and set up camp, and do a bit of a "warm-up", starting sitting this afternoon -- i will then use the official schedule beginning tomorrow at 6 am, arizona time, mst, and do the 2 day retreat -- but i will then continue with retreat until noon, 12/12, though i expect i will be going to sleep a bit earlier during the "post" retreat

wish you all the best

gassho, bob

Go for it, Rocky. You are still sitting us, and us you. Gassho, Jundo

Just to let you know. I'm sitting here in China.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Just to let you know. I'm sitting here in China.

Will
    I saw you there! Gassho, Jundo

Hi Jundo...

I don't know, but after sitting several time, I feel a little pain on my back...
    was my posture wrong? or it's just normal?

But any way, from this pain we can also learn that this body is impermanent. :wink:

Gassho, Shuidi

Yes, we must sit with pain sometimes. But, also, our Way is not to punish the body.

Although you should not give up and give in too easily, ours is not a way of self punishment. If sitting in one position too long is difficult, change position freely (e.g., move from Lotus, to Burmese to even a chair ... maybe not recline, as it is too easy to fall asleep). Walk lots of Kinhin, even if during a Zazen period. We will be sitting lots and lots of Zazen ... take it easy.

Even if you are sitting with good posture, sitting long hours can cause the back and legs to start hurting. It is normal.

Gassho, J

Vocabulary is amazing isn't it? How we share the meaning of words and pronounciation, although we've never met.

Thank you for the Fukanzazengi reading.

---------------------------------------------------------

Why take delight in a spark from a flint stone, when the whole of it is right here.

Gassho

Will

Yugen

Jundo,
    I am joining you all Saturday evening US time. I am back home from business travel. I will sit through the winter night here in Maine, in fellowship with you all.

Thank you for leading the way, and Jundo, Thank you for all the preparation you have done.

Gassho,
    Alex

Welcome aboard the S.S. Rohatsu Alex.

Gassho, Jundo

Hi all,

For anyone who hasn't started the retreat yet or is checking in during, may I humbly suggest that if you are alone in a far off room in the house that you have a way for your loved ones to easily get your attention or vice versa! Hopefully I'm the only one who didn't think of that since my wife (diabetic and 5 weeks pregnant!) had an episode and had to come find me while low on blood sugar. She's fine now but a bit of a scare there!

Well, at least it happened during samu...I'm going to assume that counts.

Gassho,
    Scott

Dear Scott,
    My prayers are with your wife & child.

Gratitude for all of us sitting together.

Gassho, Tina

Hello Scott,

Being with your wife is paramount. It is Samu beyond Samu. Keep us posted on how she is doing. Gassho, J

Scott

Ditto what Tina & Jundo said - hope your wife get better soon.

Kindest regards

Jools

ps - Jundo: Ulysses was written by James Joyce

re: sesshin

Gassho Guys.

W

OH my Scott! I hope she feels better soon!

Gassho, Dirk

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts...my wife is doing fine and thanks you as well.

This is a wonderful place with many wonderful people and I couldn't have found a better place to practice.

And now, as often stated by my dear wife, I shall go forth and do an intense study of the rear of my eyelids.

Love and peace to all.

-Scott

All the best to you and yours Scott.

Take care,

Philip

may your wife be well Scott...

Gassho, Shuidi

Glad to hear that everything's OK, Scott.

Bill