Thread: RETREAT PREPARATORY TALKS INFORMATION

RETREAT PREPARATORY TALKS INFORMATION

Hi,

Please look here over the coming two weeks for updated information on our JUKAI-ROHATSU RETREAT, scheduled for LIVE NETCAST over the weekend of DECEMBER 6 and 7, 2008! (and available in recorded form after that, for participation any time 'On Demand').

As part of the preparations, I WILL BE PRESENTING A SPECIAL SERIES OF TALKS ON THE "SIT-A-LONG" ... covering such topics as "How to Chant" "How to Oryoki" "How to Bow" "How to Go To The Bathroom during a Retreat" (Really) and many others. I ask you to watch for those in the coming days, and give them special attention. Even if you will not be sitting in our upcoming Retreat, they should be of interest.

The first talk is here:

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/11 ... eat-i.html

Gassho, Jundo

Re: RETREAT PREPARATORY TALKS INFORMATION

Hi,

I have posted for download a 9 page PDF file of pointers for the upcoming Retreat. Please review that, if participating.

http://jundotreeleaf.googlepages.com/Tr ... 222008.pdf

Other materials, such as the Chant Book and exact Sitting Schedule will be posted in the coming days.

I will also be continuing my series of 'Sit-a-Long' talks on Retreat procedures ... Tonight will focus on how to enter, walk through and take our seats in the Zendo.

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/11 ... at-ii.html

Gassho, Jundo

Hi,

Some people have asked when I will have the Retreat schedule up. I am just finalizing it, but I want to clarify a point:

Because of difference in time zones, the Retreat will be a combination of live and recorded sittings. That means that you should plan on starting at or before dawn on both Saturday and Sunday, going to late both days, in your own time zone. It will not matter the time zone you are in.

Doing it this way will eliminate the problem of someone having lunch at midnight, or needing to sit Zazen all night. It will be lunch at lunchtime for everybody, no matter where you are!

When I get the schedule up, you will see how it works.

Gassho, Jundo

I have posted instructions on how to make a dandy, genuine 'Oryoki set for our Retreat (I remade yesterday's talk due to technical difficulties ... it should work now) ...

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/12 ... ryoki.html

I also have posted a 20 minutes a talk on how to do a simple, yet beautiful Oryoki ritual, which we will use for all our meals during the Retreat. Please practice that in place of Zazen , if sitting the Retreat (for Oryoki --IS-- Zazen!). Note that I am improvising very much, and simplifying greatly. More than form, I hope that spirit and attitude will convey the beauty of the Practice.

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/12 ... ki_03.html

Hi posted this on the 'Sit-a-Long', but it is worth posting here in case anyone missed that ...

Hi Guys,

I am just going to leave everyone with a few closing words before our Retreat. (I am not going to post a new sitting today. If you want and have the time, please watch again some of the earlier 'sit-a-longs' on Oryoki, Bowing and such.). Just remember a few things ...

- Please down load and print out this short reading for my talk during the Retreat ...

http://jundotreeleaf.googlepages.com/Tr ... gs1205.pdf

- Whether this is a very rewarding and pleasant experience, or a tedious trial, is completely up to what you make of it ... in your own mind. That's one of the points! Make it difficult, and it will be. Relax and go with the flow, and you will!

- If the technology fails us (and it likely will at some point), we just sit with what is. If there is no netcast or recording for a time, we will be back (I hope). Just follow along on your own in the meantime. As the Beatles might sing, "There's nothing that's missed that can't be missed". Nothing ever missing even when missing. But loosely KEEP TRACK OF TIME in case our bells can't be heard.

- Although you should not give up and give in too easily, ours is not a way of self punishment. If sitting in one position too long is difficult, change position freely (e.g., move from Lotus, to Burmese to even a chair ... maybe not recline, as it is too easy to fall asleep). Walk lots of Kinhin, even if during a Zazen period. We will be sitting lots and lots of Zazen ... take it easy.

- If you would like to have an interview with me during the Retreat, or have questions come up, I am available. I will be checking e-mails during break times (check the schedule I provided for our live sitting in Japan). I am available to chat by insta-messaging on Skype (code name: keizandogen), or even video conference if someone wants. Just give me a couple of hours prior notice, and select a time for the meeting which is a Zazen time without other activity (e.g., not an Oryoki time or other ceremony or talk). I can chat with you by e-mail/messaging/video conference during such times. Just say, "Jundo, can you meet with me 5 minutes into the X:00 O'clock Zazen?" If I am unoccupied then, I will. (Again, your computer should not be used for web surfing, and only for purposes of this Retreat). My email remains jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com

-Finally, Dirk, Jools, Daniel, Jim, Tina, Rowan ... so many others ... you will be sitting with us in the same room here, no matter where you are. Between not thinking, I will be thinking of you all.

Gassho and Thank You ... Let's Get Ready to Rohatsu Rumble!! ... Jundo