I am mostly convinced I did the right thing. I'm using this forum to crstalize my thought on the whole incedent. As always, I'm open to comments on anything.
The basic problem was that this co-worker was just wholly offensive. not in odor or appearance, but in manners and speech. A constant torrent of homophobic comments. requests of females to remove clothing at work. abusive speech towards people with handicaps, medical issues, or even just poor fashion sense (a crime I regularly commit apparently ops: )
As an assistant supervisor, I have tried and tried to reign him in and show him that he's hurting others. My supervisors have done so, as well, and we just couldn't get through. I even tried befriending him and steering him away from his negative acts... and I received a company wide rumor alleging I was sleeping with my supervisor for my trouble.
After about a year, I had enough and yesterday I went to HR to address the issue... HR promptly executed an investigation and interviewed, one at a time, all my immediate co-workers and now the guy is fired.
despite whistleblower laws/policies the guy knows its me who turned him in. I hope he is not dumb enough to do anything illegal against me. I don't want him going to jail.
Those are the facts. My father is a district court judge and told me this guys acts and speech were illegal and I did the right thing. My problem is that I know I did this for selfish reasons. He was personally making my life a living hell and I just wanted him to stop. I knew full well that he would be fired if I went to HR... HR did interview alot of people and they wouldn't fire someone for my allegations alone...
Also, I wish I could have saved him. Wish it hadn't come to this. Wish I wasn't afraid my car will get jacked up or something will happen to my dog.
and what perfect timing for Jundo to publish the Metta practice? eh?
Gassho,
Xander