Thread: So I went to the SF Zen Center introduction..

disastermouse

So I went to the SF Zen Center introduction..

They do one every saturday and although I already know the basics, it's very important to know how they enter the Zendo, do kinhin, and other small pieces of protocol. I also got an introduction or clarification of the soto way to sit.

The big bonus, however, was a lecture by Barry Magit - the author of one of the recommended books at this sangha ('Ending the Pursuit of Happiness'). The only reason I didn't buy the book right there is that the crowd was pretty big. I figure I can amazon it with 'Mind of Clover'.

Re: So I went to the SF Zen Center introduction..

... and how was the introduction? Interesting? Useful? Anything of note on the way they sit?

In gassho, Kev

Ryushin Paul Haller from the SFZC is over here with us (in Belfast, N.Ireland) at the moment and I am going to a 5-day sesshin on Wednesday led by him.

I like Barry Magid I read both his books. 'Ending the Pursuit of Happiness' was great, but the first one (Ordinary Mind) had a bit too much psychoanalysis in it for me.

Gassho,
    John

disastermouse

I honestly have not been there long enough to know what they advocate. I know that it's not a mixed-tradition place like ZCLA or Kanzeon.

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Al Coleman
    Hi Disastermouse,

I stated my question incorrectly. What I meant is how did they teach you to sit?
    Haphazardly. Count breaths (but not how), watch breath, 'just sitting' (but no real explanation of what that is).

In a nutshell, it was perfect.

Did you look at their website?

http://www.sfzc.org/

Gassho,
    John

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Did you look at their website?

http://www.sfzc.org/

Gassho,
    John
    Yep. I needed to figure out where they were and how to get there. Turns out it's one little bus ride away - but it's a pretty weird bus ride. It goes from Pacific Heights (Specific Whites) - where my travel nursing company puts me up -, through the area around the Filmore Center (ghetto-tastic), and down past the Haight (Bongs, Coffee and Patchouli).

I already know how to meditate. I went to learn their zendo protocol and to feel comfortable going there to sit zazen if I feel like it.

Honestly though? I went for a hike near Cataract Falls and had the whole area to myself yesterday. I sat on the pebbly beach of the lake and I realized there's just this one thing - just 'this', again and again and again. Delusion is like walking in a fog - but the path of Zen is literally the whole earth. If you get lost, you can return to the feeling of your feet on the ground. It incited a resurgence in my commitment to Zen.