Thread: kanji for buddha?

kanji for buddha?

Is there a kanji (japanese writing) for buddha?
    does anyone have a picture or similar for how it looks?

//Tb

Re: kanji for buddha?

Quote Originally Posted by Filur
    Is there a kanji (japanese writing) for buddha?
    does anyone have a picture or similar for how it looks?

//Tb
    Hi,

Here is the older form, still used in China and often in Japan too ...

... and here is the simplified version, used in Japan (and maybe in China ... not sure on that. Shui Di, any input?)

But, please, don't anyone use these images for a tattoo. Not that I am against tattoos ... but I will tell you this story:

Once a guy asked my wife how to write some "Ai-ki-do" term in Japanese (he did not say the reason, and my wife, who practices Ai-ki-do, dashed it off quick on the back of a piece of paper, really a quick scribble. But the next week, the guy had inked an exact replica of my wife's careless scribble on his back. My wife felt really bad ever since. ops:

Gassho, Jundo

I feel that anyone who puts on their body a text in a language they don't understand is looking for trouble. Like the Chinese-made t-shirts with English slogans that you see in some parts of the world, you never know if what you've put on yourself means what you think. At least you can take a t-shirt off...

Kirk

I feel quite the same.
    but the reason that im asking is because there has been some discussion on another forum regarding this question, and since i know how brialliant you are i popped it up here, and voila!

May the force be with you.
    Tb

I feel quite the same.
    but the reason that im asking is because there has been some discussion on another forum regarding this question, and since i know how brialliant you are i popped it up here, and voila!

Tb
    And what's the point of the debate? I am just curious about the discussion going on.

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    I feel quite the same.

Tb
    And what's the point of the debate? I am just curious about the discussion going on.
    Hi.
    They are currently discussing "the true kanji for buddha". There seems to be a couple of contestants, this being one of them...

//Tb

Hi.
    They are currently discussing "the true kanji for buddha". There seems to be a couple of contestants, this being one of them...

//Tb
    Ah, you mean this 'true kanji for Buddha' ... ha ha ha ha ha ...

But, really, what Kanji is not the 'true kanji for Buddha' ???

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    ... and here is the simplified version, used in Japan (and maybe in China ... not sure on that. Shui Di, any input?)

Hi Jundo,

Long time no on line, there's some internet problem here....

Well, I have never seen that character. I also ask my father who's understand Chinese character well, and my father also never see that character.

Maybe that's the Japanese simplified character... :wink:

Gassho, Shui di

Hi Shui Di,

It is a mystery! :?: But just a name.

It is used for "Buddha" in Chinese, as in this group's name from Singapore:

http://www.blia.sg/

... but it might not be a common use in general Chinese or all dialects, or in some regions. Interesting (to a translator anyway!)

Gassho, J

Ooh, I just learned this yesterday:

The Chinese transliterated "Buddhaya" as "fo-tuo-ye" (???). It was quickly shortened to just "Fo" (?).

I think that the "simplified version" posted above is just used in Japan. AFAIK, ? is written the same in Chinese Simplified and Traditional characters (but I'm not really studying the simplified).

Quote Originally Posted by paige
    Ooh, I just learned this yesterday:

The Chinese transliterated "Buddhaya" as "fo-tuo-ye" (???). It was quickly shortened to just "Fo" (?).

I think that the "simplified version" posted above is just used in Japan. AFAIK, ? is written the same in Chinese Simplified and Traditional characters (but I'm not really studying the simplified).
    Paige! Nice to see your smiling face.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Paige! Nice to see your smiling face.

Gassho, Jundo
    Thanks Jundo!

I'm being run ragged attending two 'meatspace' (love that term!) zendos at the moment. Neither teach just sitting though, so I haven't learned much that would interest Treeleafers.

Glad to see your little community still flourishing.

'meatspace' (love that term!) zendos
    ????

G,W

Hi Will,

I got that from Stephanie.

!cyberspace = meatspace :mrgreen: