Thread: body art

body art

i was wondering what is the Buddhist ( and zen in particularly ) take on tattoos and piercings? and body art in general

Re: body art

One Zen master's samu was to clean out the shitter as a reminder of his practice.

Some people keep stupas and butsudans.

Some get tattoos I guess.

Gassho Will

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    i was wondering what is the Buddhist ( and zen in particularly ) take on tattoos and piercings? and body art in general
    Oh, finely a question that I have absolutely no opinion on! But, that won't stop me from having an opinion anyway!!!

Well, I have seen Buddhist themed tattoos among some Yakuza and various rough personages in Japan, although they are not so often found on monks (unless they used to be Yakuza, of course)!

And I know in Thailand and some countries, folks tattoo bits of Buddhist wisdom on their bodies to protect them. And those are actually written by monks apparently!!!! Look here:

http://travelhappy.info/thailand/thaila ... bang-phra/

And I know that this guy had an earing (I wear one too sometimes) ...

All I can say is this: Remember that all things are change, and that includes the beauty of the body. In other words, what is now firm will sag. The Buddha tattoo on your muscular bicep may someday end up bunched around your elbow somewhere. :?

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    All I can say is this: Remember that all things are change, and that includes the beauty of the body. In other words, what is now firm will sag. The Buddha tattoo on your muscular bicep may someday end up bunched around your elbow somewhere. :?
    My wife works as a Certified Nurse Aid. Which means, her main work is taking care of folks beyond their 70's. She always reminds me of that fact whenever we see a young lady with her jeans riding low and showing her back waist tattoo.

There today....tomorrow...who knows......... :mrgreen:

There today....tomorrow...who knows.........
    That's when you pull the zen rhetoric: I don't need no stinkin' tomorrow, I live moment after moment, and this moment, lemme tell you, is pure satooooooori :twisted:

well i like tattoos, its a form of art... doesnt mean i want to cover my entire body in them though
    i ahve one on my arm ( something in chinese that translates to " know yourself " ) and want to get another one on my back ( a simple ying - yang ir reminds me of change and that everything is the same )

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    My wife works as a Certified Nurse Aid. Which means, her main work is taking care of folks beyond their 70's. She always reminds me of that fact whenever we see a young lady with her jeans riding low and showing her back waist tattoo.

There today....tomorrow...who knows......... :mrgreen:

i am actually a nursing student ( i finish in a few month, only the RN test and im done ) so i know what you mean...

When you're old and wrinkly you're old and wrinkly, and old wrinkly tat won't look out of place, or saggy loppy Buddha ears

I've a couple of decent sized peices on each arm/shoulder, would get some more but it's not cheap for decent work and not something I'd do on the spur. I also have had lots of piercings including stretched ears, they come out, they heal, I some times re-do them, it's not my thing anymore but I do appreciate it and it's not just rough types who have them.

I guess the more relevant question in zen terms could be what do they say about your 'self', why do you want them?

The tats I got we're because I like the art and the process and the elements of the tats we're to do with things that were/are special to me. The piercings/stretchings, hair... were because at the time I felt I needed to put my self apart from the beiges to do my own thing. As my mate says 'freak the mundanes'.

Now I'm a bit further on, don't worry particularly what people think, and I'm more secure. Rather than a beige, I'm now a grey :lol:

Anyway it's so common place now that no one really bats an eye, do they?

In gassho, Kev

I actually have an opinion here...
    I have tattoos and piercings,
    I have 2 sleeves and stuff on my neck

I used to be a cutter... I have moved out of that phase of my life but I have MANY scars... people would look at my arms anyway... I covered up my past with tattoos so at least there is something interesting for people to see. and I think they are interesting and they remind me of stuff blah, blah, blah!

I know when I lose weight or get older the tattoos will sag... but I will just let them sag.... most are tribal anyways, how can you have an f'd up tribal tattoo

I have recently however started getting Buddhist inspired tattoos I have an enso on my chest and Buddha on my upper right arm. I don't feel they are disrespectful to anything as some on E sangha believe having a tattoo of buddha below the waist is disrespectful etc... I think that if you are willing to modify your body on a semi permanent basis (laser removal) and this bag of skin and bones is really the only thing always with you in this life I don't see how this would be disrespectful... I think I know why they would however...

Anyway... thanks for letting me rant.

Gassho,
    Damian

Quote Originally Posted by Damian
    I actually have an opinion here...
    I have tattoos and piercings,
    I have 2 sleeves and stuff on my neck

I used to be a cutter... I have moved out of that phase of my life but I have MANY scars... people would look at my arms anyway... I covered up my past with tattoos so at least there is something interesting for people to see. and I think they are interesting and they remind me of stuff blah, blah, blah!

I know when I lose weight or get older the tattoos will sag... but I will just let them sag.... most are tribal anyways, how can you have an f'd up tribal tattoo

I have recently however started getting Buddhist inspired tattoos I have an enso on my chest and Buddha on my upper right arm. I don't feel they are disrespectful to anything as some on E sangha believe having a tattoo of buddha below the waist is disrespectful etc... I think that if you are willing to modify your body on a semi permanent basis (laser removal) and this bag of skin and bones is really the only thing always with you in this life I don't see how this would be disrespectful... I think I know why they would however...

Anyway... thanks for letting me rant.

Gassho,
    Damian

Rant away Damian, feel free to do so anytime

i really do understand you. i think it is an art form...

the one i got reminds me of something which i like....

It will pass

A monk went to his teacher and said, "My meditation is horrible! I feel so distracted, or my legs ache, or I'm constantly falling asleep. It's just horrible!"

"It will pass," the teacher said matter-of-factly.

A week later, the monk came back to his teacher. "My meditation is wonderful! I feel so aware, so peaceful, so alive! It's just wonderful!'

"It will pass," the teacher replied matter-of-factly.

so every time i am lost and dont know what to do. it guides me... it will pass.... if i dont know what do to and what is the right choice to make.... know yourself... and i know what i should do.
    and in the end.... it will pass.

most are tribal anyways, how can you have an f'd up tribal tattoo
    lol

G,W

most are tribal anyways, how can you have an f'd up tribal tattoo
    Actually... you could get a tribal that represents feminine fertility on your face and not realize it until you become a tattoo artist then have everyone and there dog point out the mistake you made ( i have a tat mag with a story about laser removal of just said error - made by a tattoo artist)

Anywho I like body art on myself and others. When stuff sags down to my knees and the art is deformed and wrinkled... it just became new art
    I have 6 piercing and a few tattoos (each mean something to me personally) and i will be getting both my sleeves done this summer. time permitting. If you like it and are sure you want it - have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by krid
    I have 6 piercing and a few tattoos (each mean something to me personally) and i will be getting both my sleeves done this summer. time permitting. If you like it and are sure you want it - have at it.
    I think this is the main issue. I know so many people who get tats on a whim and then the ink doesn't mean a dang thing! For something that painful, and that long lasting, you should at least have a story going beyond "I thot it was cool..." but that my own opinion
    I have 3. one on my back right shoulder blade: The Okinawan mon with the Kanji for perseverance (nin tai)... Story: I was REALLY struggling with my first degree black belt test. Mr Oyata kept sending me out to work some more on a single motion that I was just not getting... finally, I was the last one out of 100 left still working. He stopped my practice and told me that if he could, he would take me to the bar and buy me a glass of perseverance because that's all I need... he then signed my certificate. :P ... I love telling that story!
    The ones on my shoulders are taken from the classic karate manual, The Bubishi. They are my favorite techniques! "Monkey Stretches His Arm" & "Monkey Reaches Out"... and if you hint at hidden meanings and a reminder to myself about the monkey mind... you may be correct!
    story time over!
    :lol:
    gassho,
    xander