Thread: Suggested BOOKS & MEDIA on Zen Practice

Suggested BOOKS & MEDIA on Zen Practice

Hi,

The following is a recommended book list for our Sangha. It covers a variety of works on Zen, life, “Just Sitting” Shikantaza Zazen, Master Dogen and Buddhism in general. Thank you to all who provided input, and the list is still open to new suggestions and additions. Please email or PM me (Jundo) with any further suggested titles.

I have tried to mark with ** those books recommended for beginners and any folks new to “Just Sitting” and our style of Zazen. New folks would do very well to just read down the list of ** books.

I have also marked in GREEN COLOR some books that I particularly recommended, some for newer folks and everyone, and some recommended only for more experienced folks.

Gassho, Jundo

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

GREAT ZEN BOOKS - RECOMMENDED FOR EVERYONE:

THE MOUNTAINS AND WATERS SUTRA A Practitioner’s Guide to Dogen’s “Sansuikyo” by Shohaku Okumura Roshi - Jundo Comment: I am putting this at the top of the list as one of the finest books on Master Dogen's teachings and Shikantaza practice that I have encountered in some 40 years of reading Zen books. However, I am not recommending it to newcomers, and more for folks already experienced and familiar with both Dogen and our ways. Perhaps no book in English has ever so perfectly captured our way of Dogen and Shikantaza, "Just Sitting that Hits the Mark" ... but to truly appreciate these essays, the reader needs to have a mature understanding and feel for both deep down.

Opening the Hand of Thought by Kosho Uchiyama Roshi (2004 Edition) - Jundo Comment: The first and best book I recommend for people new to Shikantaza, and any of us from time to time. **

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi **

and/or

• Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi (but see Jundo's little caution on these popular books here: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ll=1#post84611 )
    • Zen Is Right Here by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi (a very short book of little quotes and lovely stories about Suzuki Roshi)

• A Heart To Heart Chat On Buddhism With Old Master Gudo by Gudo Wafu Nishijima Roshi (Jundo Cohen, Translator. New Edition released 2015 [AMAZON LINK]) **

• To Meet the Real Dragon, Gudo Wafu Nishijima Roshi

• "Hardcore Zen" and "Sit Down and Shut Up" by Brad Warner

• Nothing Special: Living Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck **

and

Everyday Zen: Love & Work by Charlotte Joko Beck **

Inside the Grass Hut: Living Shitou's Classic Zen Poem by Ben Connelly **

• The Art of Simple Living: 100 Daily Practices from a Japanese Zen Monk for a Lifetime of Calm and Joy by Shunmyo Masuno (Jundo: 100 simple little insights and daily practices to bring a little Zen Wisdom and Compassion to life.

Realizing Genjokoan: The Key to Dogen's Shobogenzo by Shohaku Okumura Roshi (This is the single best introduction to Dogen and his teachings, so good I will put it twice on this list!)**

• Bringing the Sacred to Life: The Daily Practice of Zen Ritual by John Daido Loori Roshi (A wonderful wonderful short book on Buddhist practices. Please see our Treeleaf RECOMMENDED 'AT HOME' LITURGY here: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...t-home-liturgy ) **

Street Zen, The Life and Work of Issan Dorsey, by David Schneider

• The Song of the Wind in the Dry Tree by Philippe Rei Ryu Coupey

• Zen, Simply Sitting by Philippe Rei Ryu Coupey

• No Death, No Fear by Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

• Asking about Zen: 108 Answers, Rev. Jiho Sargent

• The Art of Just Sitting, edited by John Daido Loori (2004 edition; with Jundo's caution regarding certain essays featuring a very aggressive form of Shikantaza from the Yasutani-Harada lineage)

• Returning to Silence by Dainin Katagiri Roshi

• You Have to Say Something by Dainin Katagiri Roshi

The Zen Teaching of "Homeless" Kodo by Kosho Uchiyama Roshi (new edition recently issued!)

• To You: [Further] Zen Sayings of Kodo Sawaki

• Also by Uchiyama Roshi, with that same wonderful insight, Deepest Practice, Deepest Wisdom: Three Fascicles from Shobogenzo with Commentary

• Commentary on the Song of Awakening: [Master Kodo Sawaki's] Commentary on the Seventh Century Poem by the Chinese Ch'an Master Yung-chia Hsuan-chueh, translated by Tonen O'Connor

One Robe One Bowl by Ryokan

or

• Sky Above, Great Wind: The Life and Poetry of Zen Master Ryokan, translated by Kazuaki Tanahashi

• Bankei Zen: Translations from The Record of Bankei translated by Peter Haskel

• Mud and Water: The Teachings of Zen Master Bassui translated by Arthur Braverman

• The Zen Teaching of Huang Po translated by John Blofeld (in combination with reflections on the history, misunderstandings, context and philosophical perspectives of this text: "Philosophical Meditations on Zen Buddhism" by Dale S. Wright)

• Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen

• Meditation Now or Never by Steve Hagen

• Zen Seeds, Reflections of a Female Priest, by Shundo Aoyama

• Zen Women: Beyond Tea Ladies, Iron Maidens and Macho Masters by Grace Schireson

• Zen and the Brain by Dr. James Austin (series of very thick, often dense books on medical research on meditation)

• Lotus In The Fire: The Healing Power of Zen by Jim Bedard (a painful "hell and back" diary of the author, a Zen practitioner's, journey through chemo-therapy. My short review here: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...us-in-the-Fire )

• Snow falling in Moonlight by Tai Sheridan, a Zen priest in the lineage of Suzuki roshi, great stuff, odes in praise of key Shobogenzo chapters.

• Living Zen: The Diary of an American Zen Priest by Daiho Hilbert.

• Subtle Sound: The Zen Teachings of Maurine Stuart

• Training in Compassion: Zen Teachings on the Practice of Lojong by Norman Fischer

• The Essence of Chan: A Practical Guide to Life and Practice according to the Teachings of Bodhidharma by Guo Gu (Chinese Chan comes in many flavors, as does Zen in general. This book presents Teachings very much echoing our Shikantaza Ways, comments on one of the few writings that historians believe may actually have been composed by Bodhidharma)

• Just This Is It: Dongshan and the Practice of Suchness by Taigen Dan Leighton

• My Christian Journey with Zen by Gustav Ericsson (This is by my Dharma Brother Gustav, fellow student of Nishijima Roshi, and Lutheran Priest)

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

BEST BOOKS FOR BEGINNERS INTRODUCING BASIC ZEN/BUDDHISM IN GENERAL:

"WHAT IS ZEN?" by Norman Fischer and Susan Moon - Perhaps one of the best books explaining "the basics" for folks new to Zen Practice, but also goes on to offer Fischer Roshi's almost "rabbinical" wisdom on many many topics and questions of interest even to very experienced practitioners. Wonderful for everyone.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................**

Buddhism For Dummies by Jonathan Landaw & Stephan Bodian (Jundo: I have been looking for a very long time for a book for people very new to Buddhism who want to know basic information and all the many flavors of Buddhist schools, their beliefs and practices. Despite the silly title, this is a very smart, well written, comprehensive and detailed yet easy (and fun) to read, humorous and serious guide, covers most of the major bases and in quite some detail, gives fair treatment to the many flavors of Buddhism, is very down to earth about the more magical aspects of Buddhism (it tries to present a more psychological than literal take on Karma and Rebirth, for example) .... and it covers everything and the kitchen sink. I learned a thing or two. I just wish they would change the title. If I have one criticism, I wish they had done a better job in contrasting the various approaches of Zen. I recommend this book primarily for people very new to Buddhism in general.)
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................**

Simple Guide to Zen Buddhism by Diana St. Ruth (Jundo: For folks who are completely new, puzzled and perplexed about Zen Buddhism's history and practices of various flavors. It is detailed in its explanation, balanced and quite comprehensive in the many topics it covers. I would not recommend the book for anyone who had been practicing for even a few months, but it may still answer some questions and be good to give to your dad or sister who is completely confused by what we are doing here ... and may think that we are wearing bed sheets while dancing in drum circles with the Dalai Lama during the Soltice. As with any book, it is not perfect. It could still do even a better job in explaining the various different approaches of Soto and Rinzai, Koan Centered Zazen and Shikantaza ... but they are touched upon. But compared to most other books on the subject, it is well researched, comprehensive, very balanced and gets it right.)

• The Buddhist Religion: A Historical Introduction by Richard H Robinson (Jundo: a good panoramic look at the whole history of Buddhism, right up to modern times. It is a serious history book, very detailed, but quite readable. It covers an amazing amount of topics and history in its covers. lt can be rather dense, and tries to tell the story from the traditional religious interpretation as well as what historians may believe that differs. I would recommend the book to folks newer to Buddhism but who are looking for a more detailed treatment of the entire sweep of Buddhist history, as well as folks already familiar with our history but who would like to read a comprehensive review. )

MASTER DOGEN:

The Zen Master's Dance: A Guide to Understanding Dogen and Who You Are in the Universe by Jundo Cohen (Sorry, have to put my book at the top. It is meant as a good introduction to Dogen for folks new to his writings or who struggle to get the old master's sound and style. I hope readers will learn to dig Dogen's wild jazz and dance along!)**

Readings of Dōgen's 'Treasury of the True Dharma Eye' by Prof. Steve Heine (Jundo Review: This book, quite simply, may be the single best detailed survey and explanation of what Dogen was on about that I have ever read by an academic. ... Dogen cannot be presented more completely and ... most importantly ... accurately in an intellectual study than Steven has done in this book. It is bound to become one of the main "go to" guides for serious explorers of Dogen's bottomless depths. That said, the book may be difficult for readers very new to Dogen, or who otherwise struggle in attempting the master’s writings, so I do not recommend it for people who are very new to Dogen or who don't get the old master's sound and style (for them, see my book, Zen Master's Dance, immediately above). ... On the other hand, anyone who already cherishes and has some handle on Dogen will savor this as a tour de force, and it should be on the shelf of every true student of Dogen ... Personally, if anyone comes to me in the coming years as to what they should read for a comprehensive explanation of Dogen and Shobogenzo, especially if it is someone who already has established some solid appreciation of Dogen, I will quickly point them to this book ... besides the sitting cushion, of course!

Realizing Genjokoan: The Key to Dogen's Shobogenzo by Shohaku Okumura Roshi (This is the single best introduction to Dogen and his teachings, so good I will put it twice on this list!)**
    • Essential Dogen by Peter Levitt and Kaz Tanahashi
    From The Zen Kitchen To Enlightenment: Refining Your Life by Eihei Dogen; Kosho Uchiyama Roshi (Translator) **

and/or

• Nothing Is Hidden : Essays on Zen Master Dogen's Instructions for the Cook by Shohaku Okumura Roshi **

• How to Raise an Ox AND Sounds of the Valley Streams, both by Francis Cook (translations of Shobogenzo sections, both books with essays by the author that are excellent introductions to Dogen and his teachings) **

• A Talk On Pursuing The Truth by Gudo Nishijima Roshi (A celebration of Zazen and Master Dogen's classic 'Bendowa,' an invitation to Zazen for all of us, based on a series of lectures by my Teacher, Gudo Wafu Nishijima.) **

• The Wholehearted Way, A Commentary on Dogen’s Bendowa by Kosho Uchiyama Roshi (also published with the title, "Master Dogen's Zazen Meditation Handbook.")

• Master Dogen's Shobogenzo-Zuimonki available online:
    https://terebess.hu/zen/dogen/Shobogenzo-Zuimonki.pdf

• Enlightenment Unfolds (the essential teachings of Dogen) by Kazuaki Tanahashi

• Moon in a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen by Kazuaki Tanahashi **

• Beyond Thinking: A Guide to Zen Meditation by Kazuaki Tanahashi (This is Tanahashi Sensei's newest collection of Dogen's writings, selection from his complete Shobogenzo "Treasury of the True Dharma Eye")

• Treasury of the True Dharma Eye: Zen Master Dogen's Shobo Genzo by Kazuaki Tanahashi (Jundo: A Triumph! ... but still quite pricey for the new practitioner. The above editions of Tanahashi are recommended instead. Also, please read THIS COMPARISON OF VARIOUS AVAILABLE SHOBOGENZO EDITIONS: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post104665 )

• Zen questions, Zazen, Dogen, and the spirit of Creative Inquiry by Taigen Dan Leighton **

• Master Dogen’s Shobogenzo (4 Volumes), translated by Nishijima-Cross

• Eihei Dogen: Mystical Realist, Revised, Third Edition (Paperback) by Hee-Jin Kim

• Dogen on Meditation and Thinking by Hee-Jin Kim (both this and "Eihei Dogen: Mystical Realist" are not light books, but so worthwhile)

Visions of Awakening Space and Time by Taigen Dan Leighton (to be read with Reeve's translation of the Lotus Sutra)

• The Zen Poetry of Dogen, Steven Heine

• Dogen's Pure Standards for the Zen Community (Eihei Shingi), Leighton/Okumura

• Dogen's Extensive Record (Eihei Koroku), Leighton/Okumura

• Dogen's Manuals of Zen Meditation, Carl Bielefeldt

• Dogen's Genjokoan: Three Commentaries (actually several commentaries by modern and classic Soto Zen Teachers)

• Receiving the Marrow: Teachings on Dogen by Soto Zen Women Priests

• Entire 4-Volume Maser Dogen's SHOBOGENZO translated by Nishijima Roshi and Chodo Cross, available ONLINE for free:
    http://www.bdk.or.jp/document/dgtl-d...enzo1_2009.pdf
    http://www.bdk.or.jp/document/dgtl-d...enzo2_2008.pdf
    http://www.bdk.or.jp/document/dgtl-d...enzo3_2008.pdf
    http://www.bdk.or.jp/document/dgtl-d...enzo4_2008.pdf

ALSO, very recommended, our Rev. Kokuu reads selections from Shobogenzo, available in audio file and youtube:
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...dio-D%C5%8Dgen

BASIC SITTING POSTURE:

The Posture of Mediation by Will Johnson **
    (but please also read review and some cautions here)
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-OF-MEDITATION

BASIC BUDDHIST PHILOSOPHY:

• Buddhist Thought, A Complete Introduction to the Indian Tradition, Paul Williams and Anthony Tribe. (Jundo: Although meant as an introductory textbook, still wonderfully detailed ... although the writing is poor in places. I recommend this somewhat ahead of the next two books, by Walpola Rahula and David Kalipahana, for both readability and the presence of less of a personal religious ideology that tends to cloud the impartiality of those other books)

• What the Buddha Taught: Revised and Expanded Edition by Walpola Rahula (Jundo: Very good book, a very traditional Theravada outlook however)

• History of Buddhist Philosophy: Continuities and Discontinuities by David J. Kalupahana (Jundo: A wonderful book, although the author tends to insist on one interpretation of "what the Buddha said", even in debated or ambiguous areas, according to the author's tradition of Buddhism).

• In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon, Bhikkhu Bodhi (Editor)

The Life of the Buddha by Bhikkhu Nanamoli

Mahayana Buddhism, The Doctrinal Foundations, by Paul Williams

Faces of Compassion by Taigen Dan Leighton (a wonderful, engaging introduction to the Great Bodhisattva, and what the Bodhisattvas are all about. Very recommended)**

• Buddhism Is Not What You Think by Steve Hagen **

• Buddhism Without Beliefs by Stephen Batchelor

• Confession of a Buddhist Atheist, by Stephen Batchelor (Read Jundo's review here: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ll=1#post60574 )

Understanding Our Mind, by Thich Nhat Hanh (Jundo: A very good introduction to traditional Buddhist models of the mind, seeking to make them relevant for today).

• Concerning Birth by Ajahn Buddhadasa (Jundo: Although not the best written book, Buddhadasa expresses a rather skeptical view of literal post-death rebirth and Karma, unusual for a Theravadan teacher)

• Buddhist Revivalist Movements: Comparing Zen Buddhism and the Thai Forest Movement" by Alan Robert Lopez (Jundo: A book finding common ground, amid differences, between Zen Buddhism and the teachings of particularly the Theravadan Teacher, Ajahn Chah.)

• Advaita Vedanta and Zen Buddhism: Deconstructive Modes of Spiritual Inquiry" (Jundo: A book finding common ground, amid differences, between Soto Zen Buddhism and the teachings of Advaita Vedanta.)

BUDDHIST SUTRAS & ZEN CLASSICS:

Living by Vow: A Practical Introduction to Eight Essential Zen Chants and Texts by Shohaku Okumura (I would recommend it perhaps a little more for those with a bit of sitting under their belt, rather than our new new beginners. ) **

• The Heart Sutra: A Comprehensive Guide to the Classic of Mahayana Buddhism by Kazuaki Tanahashi

and

The Heart Sutra by Red Pine (Bill Porter)

and

• Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on Heart Sutra by Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

• The Zen Teachingsof Bodhidharma, Translated by Red Pine

The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch by Hui-neng and Philip Yampolsky (The earlier, simpler 'Dun Huang' Version, recommended by Jundo, also available online: http://www.thezensite.com/ZenTeachings/ ... polsky.pdf . As well, a later, more elaborate version from the 13th century, in which many more writers had a hand, is available online: here http://www.thezensite.com/ZenTeachings/ ... lation.pdf ) **

• Cultivating the Empty Field, The Silent Illumination of Zen Master Hongzhi, Taigen Dan Leighton

• Soto Zen Ancestors in China (The Recorded Teachings of Shitou Xiqian, Yaoshan Weiyan and Yunyan Tansheng) by James Mitchell (writings and stories attributed to these root ancestors of the Soto tradition)

• Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness: Talks on the Sandokai by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

• Trust In Mind by Mu Soeng (Comments on the Xin Xin Ming; A bit too philosophical perhaps, and a bit broad brush in painting the history of interaction between Indian Buddhism and Taoism, but generally on the right track and an excellent description of this classic early Zen Teaching)

• The Lotus Sutra, Gene Reeves translator (the most readable translation of the wild Mahayana story book)

The Diamond Sutra, translated by Red Pine

or

• The Diamond Sutra, Thich Nhat Hanh

• The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakakarika by Nagarjuna and Jay L. Garfield

or

• Mulamadhyamakakarika of Nagarjuna: The Philosophy of the Middle Way by Nagarjuna and David J. Kalupahana

The Vimalakirti Sutra, translated by Burton Warson

or

The Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti, Robert Thurman translator

The Lankavatara Sutra, translated by Red Pine (a wonderful, informative new translation of this Sutra highly valued in early Chan Buddhism. I would recommend this over the following much older and rougher translation by Suzuki, although masterful too)

or

• The Lankavatara Sutra, translated by D.T.Suzuki (in a pair with "Studies in the Lankvatara Sutra" by D.T.Suzuki, considered very dated and a poor translation.)

• A Treasury of Mahayana Sutras, translated by Garma C.G. Chang (a highly readable, lovely translation of a set of "typical" Mahayana Sutras covering subjects ranging from Emptiness to the Precepts to the Pure Land and more)

HISTORY & MODERN STATE OF ZEN BUDDHISM:

The Circle of the Way -- A Concise History of Zen from the Buddha to the Modern World by Barbara Hoetsu O'Brien (See the JUNDO REVIEW HERE: ) **

• Zen Buddhism, Volume 1: A History (India & China) by Heinrich Dumoulin

and

• Zen Buddhism, Volume 2: A History (Japan) by Heinrich Dumoulin (Jundo: A mix of the historical and the romantic retelling. Barbara O'Brien's "The Circle of the Way" is recommend as a more dependable retelling).

• The Record of Transmitting the Light (Keizan Zenji's Denkoroku), F. Cook

Living and Dying in Zazen (Biographies of Sawaki Roshi, Uchiyama Roshi and others associated with Antai-ji) by Arthur Braverman

• Zen Master Who? by James Ford (telling the story of the various Zen Lineages in the West, though mostly the U.S. Look for Jundo Cohen on page 140! plug plug ) **

• Zen Ritual, Studies in Zen Buddhist Theories in Practice, ed. by Steven Heine (various scholars essays on the history of various Zen Rituals)

How Zen Became Zen by Morten Schlütter

• Seeing Through Zen, Encounter, Transformation, and Geneology in Chinese Chan Buddhism, John R. McRae

Soto Zen in Medieval Japan, William M. Bodiford

The Other Side of Zen, A Social History of Soto Zen Buddhism in Tokugawa Japan, Duncan Ryuken Williams

• Once-Born, Twice Born Zen, by Conrad Hyers (Essay contrasting "Hard" Rinzai-style Koan Practice and "Just Sitting" Soto Practice)

• Eat Sleep Sit, Kaoru Nonomura (Diary of a young monk's year of training at Eiheiji monastery ... think 'marine bootcamp')

• Two Shores of Zen: An American Monk’s Japan by Jiryu Mark Rutschman-Byler. (a fascinating diary of a fellow's overly idealistic attempt to find the "real Zen" in Japan. However, ahead of this book, I highly recommend the following very funny book, which is much the same story ... but with more a needed sense of humor: Thank You and Okay: An American Zen Failure in Japan by David Chadwick]

KOAN COLLECTIONS:

The Book of Equanimity (with commentary by Shishin Wick). (Jundo: A wonderful interpretation of the classic Koans from a Soto-ish flavor. **
    Also available is the "Book of Serenity: One Hundred Zen Dialogues by Thomas Cleary", although this lacks Shishin Wicks 'bring it down to earth' commentary).

• Gateless Barrier: Zen Comments on the Mumonkan by Zenkai Shibayama Roshi

• Master Dogen's Shinji Shobogenzo (Koan Collection) by Gudo Nishijima Roshi

BUDDHIST ETHICS & ENGAGE BUDDHISM:

The Mind of Clover: Essays in Zen Buddhist Ethics by Robert Aitken Roshi

• Zen at War by Brian Victoria (Some warning about gross historical inaccuracies and fabrications in the book, however https://web.archive.org/web/20160331...r-jundo-cohen/)

• A much more reliable, scholarly and insightful discussion of how Zen and other Japanese Buddhists ended up supporting war in WWII is Imperial-Way Zen: Ichikawa Hakugen's Critique and Lingering Questions for Buddhist Ethics by C. Ives, although not light reading

• The New Social Face of Buddhism: A Call to Action by Ken Jones

• The New Buddhism by David Brazier

At Hells Gate by Claude Anshin Thomas

• The Heart of Being, Moral and Ethical Teachings of Zen Buddhism, John Daido Loori

• Living with the Devil: A Buddhist Meditation on Good and Evil, by Stephen Batchelor (a wonderful, rich series of essays and reflections on wrestling with good and bad. Lovely, and to be read in small bites.)

A New Buddhist Path by David Loy

• Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution by David Loy

• The Great Awakening: A Buddhist Social Theory by David Loy

• A Buddhist History of the West by David Loy

SOME RECOMMENDED PODCASTS:

The Treeleaf Zendo Podcast at treeleaf.podbean.com or in iTunes.**

and

Jundo & Kirk's ZEN of EVERYTHING Podcast, also available everywhere in the 10 Directions (LINK)

The following are Podcasts and Dharma Talks by some other Zen Teachers which may be of interest to check out:

Norman Zoketsu Fischer and others at Everyday Zen (LINK)

Steve Hagen and others at Dharma Field (LINK)

Shohaku Okumura at Sanshin (LINK)

A variety of Teachers from San Francisco Zen Center (LINK)

Folks from Austin Zen Center (LINK)

Taigen Dan Leighton and others at Ancient Dragon Zen Gate (LINK)

Berkeley Zen Center and the great Mel Weitsman (LINK)

Various folks at Valley Streams Zen Sangha (LINK)

Talks by our friend, Koun Franz (LINK)

Our other friend, Tonen O'Connor, and her friends at The Milwaukee Zen Center (LINK and LINK)

The late Kobun Chino is still here (LINK)

The late Daido Loori is always lovely and powerful (his Koan Centered Zazen Practice is a bit different from ours, but he do the Way) ... LINK

Jisho Warner and others from Stone Creek Zen Center (LINK)

Mary Mocine and others from Vallejo Zen Center (LINK)

Zuiko Redding at Cedar Rapids Zen Center (LINK) and (LINK)

Sosan Theresa Flynn and others at Clouds In Water (LINK)

Some of the late Darlene Cohen's talks (LINK).

Beata Chapman and others at Open Zen Community (LINK)

Santa Cruz Zen Center has talks by Katherine Thanas, Kokyo Henkel and other Soto folks (LINK).

Ocean Gate Zen Center, featuring Daijaku Kinst and Shinshu Roberts (LINK)

Gaelyn Godwin and our friends at Houston Zen Zenter (LINK)

Although often very mixed and eclectic in content beyond Soto Zen, so many of the talks at Upaya Zen Center are interesting (LINK)

Gay Buddhist Sangha has many recorded talks from a variety of teachers (LINK).

Hartford Street Zen Center has talks by a variety of teachers from various traditions, mostly Soto, many by Myo Lehy (LINK).

Various folks at Jikoji Zen Center (LINK)

And, of course, talks by Myozan at the Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage (in video) (LINK)

Soto Teacher Domyo Burk has a weekly talk. LINK

FOR A LAUGH:

The Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi, by Susan Moon
    Thank You and Ok, An American Zen Failure in Japan, David Chadwick
    Zen Speaks, a wonderful and fun series of Zen Stories and bits of Chinese Wisdom, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. In Chinese with English subtitles. ** There are dozens of these short cartoons with a Chan flavor. Here is the first video a compilation in a set of 11 videos. You need to turn on the English subtitles (small tab at the bottom of the screen)

Last edited by Jundo; 09-20-2023 at 08:43 AM.

I will be adding three new book to our "Suggested Books & Media" list, although none are recommended for newcomers. In fact, none of the three is particularly recommended even to oldcomers, except folks who might have particular interest in finding some "common ground" (and groundless) among Zen and other eastern traditions. All will be added in the "BASIC BUDDHIST PHILOSOPHY" section, above.

The first is a short book, not particularly well written, by the noted and rather unusual Theravadan Teacher, Ajahn Buddhadasa. The unusual aspect is that he was one of the few respected Theravadan teachers of whom I am aware to reject, or take a seemingly agnostic view, on very literal descriptions of post-death rebirth and the workings of Karma. In this book, he seems to express a view of constant "rebirth" during this life, in which we are reborn moment to moment as devil, animal, Buddha etc. dependent on our actions in that moment. As well, birth and death are swept away when we drop a sense of being a separate "self" to be born and die. Such views are very much harmonious with Soto, and especially modern Soto Zen, views which tend to place less emphasis on, or be agnostic regarding, concerns about post-death rebirth. The short book is called "Concerning Birth," and is available for free various places online, e.g., https://www.suanmokkh.org/books/14.

The second book seeks to find common ground between many Zen Teachings and the teachings of another great Theravadan Teacher, Ajahn Chah. Many others have suggested that there is much commonality between some aspects of Ajahn Chah's teachings with, for example, the goallesnessness and "Just Sitting" of our practice. The book is called "Buddhist Revivalist Movements: Comparing Zen Buddhism and the Thai Forest Movement" by Alan Robert Lopez. It can also be found to borrow from various places online.

The third book is by a scholar and Soto Zen practitioner in Australia, and seems to highlight the similarities (and subtle but important differences) between Zen teachings and those of Advaita Vedanta. The book is called, "Advaita Vedanta and Zen Buddhism: Deconstructive Modes of Spiritual Inquiry" by Leesa S. Davis. I found it a very balanced and well stated comparison.

Two books that I will --NOT-- be recommending on our reading list are two recent books by David Hinton on Zen and Taoism. There is a connection and influence of Taoism on Zen (Chan, as it is called in China), but Mr. Hinton very much exaggerates and employs terrible reasoning and methodology. I write about that here.

Yes, in a nutshell, there is no doubt at all that Chan developed as Indian Buddhism came to China and mixed with Chinese sensibilities (including certain aspects of Daoism and its perspectives on the absolute and such ... although not all aspects, such as not its alchemical search for immortality and various other more fanciful beliefs), then later came to Japan and mixed with Japanese sensibilities to become "Zen." But, that said, I thought that Mr. Hinton's book way, way overstated his case by arguing that Zen is just Taoism in Buddhist skin, rather than traditional Buddhist Teachings (e.g., all the Suttas and Sutras from India, basic doctrines such as "non-self" and "Dukkha" and emptiness via Nagarjuna) expressed with a lot of Taoist flavoring and spice. It is just a matter of degree, but he overdoes it. I had the feeling that, to make his case, he cherry picked and left out a lot of Taoist beliefs that are quite distinct and that did not really become a part of Buddhism (if you read the essay about "Dark Learning," for example, you will see many differences as well as common ground). I thought that he was also a bit romantic in presentation, and saw or assumed things which he claimed without real evidence to back it up. Finally, his habit of translating by looking at the too literal meaning of the elements of some Chinese characters, and imposing English on Chinese and Japanese names, was a bit annoying to me as a translator. He seemed to have an anti-Japanese bias in the book too which mischaracterized some important aspects of Japanese, and especially Soto, Zen. So, I would take the book as a bit extreme, as someone bending over backwards to say that "Zen is just Taoism, with a little Buddhism." It is not.

CONTINUED HERE: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post277212
    Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-21-2023 at 03:31 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

The book by Buddhadasa sounds very interesting. I remember reading something by him many many years ago, The Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree, in which he talks about emptiness. It seemed to me at the time to go beyond the usual Theravada ideas on anatman and was closer to Mahayana/Prajnaparamita interpretations.

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it, as my recall of the specifics isn't strong enough, but it can be found in some form here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130720...he_bo_tree.htm

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-