Life is gone in an instant.

One of my students is very ill. We had a exam this morning. My English speaking exams are one on one. She started crying because of her illness and what not. She's about 20 or so.

Understanding this impermenance I think is an important thing. Settling it into your bones. Although, there is no life and death, there is still life and death. Life and death are with us moment after moment. One day this forum will probably be gone. Can't say for sure, but probably. If you just look at a plant and see it's dead leaves, you'll understand impermanence. All things corrode, breakdown, become obsolete, change, and leave with no trace. Some say the trace that is left is Karma (this I have yet to understand).

Some believe that we have another chance at this life, but deep down I don't feel this. So what can we do with a life that will be gone and replaced by a new. Live this life I guess. Understand this exsistence maybe. And maybe in understanding this exsistence we can learn to not waste the moments in our life, but learn to enjoy them. For truly we don't know when we will die. At that moment this life can be understood, and perhaps that life helped someone, or brought a smile to someone's face. Perhaps that life enjoyed it's sadness, light, food, and a joke, for it feels it won't be coming around again.

Truly Dogen(whatever he is) was not kidding. And (whatever he is, or wherever he is I thank him). Why do I thank him? If it wasn't for every being who has taken up this practice inside and out, there would be no (or little) chance for others to also study and take up this practice. And truly it is a great practice.

In Gassho Will

G,W