Thread: Da Mix in Da Zen

Da Mix in Da Zen

I don't know if you've ever mixed music, but it takes many hours to achieve a good balanced mix. In those hours the mixer spends most of the time replaying the mix paying attention to every little part and how it fits together in the mix. Adding effects, splicing here and there, playing with volume, panning etc.. Anyone who has spent time mixing, will tell you to put it aside and listen to it the next day (or start over). You focus so much on specific parts of the mix, that you don't hear the music as a whole. Sometimes we just have to sit back and listen to the music.

A good mix is the product of a process. As the process continues we forget the mix and go back to it. A mix is never really finished. We listen to it with new ears again and agian, even though we've heard it a thousand times. A good mix should be balanced. Of course good and bad are relative. Preference and musical direction play a part.

Many times the instruments are recorded or played terribly, so you have to start all over.

Sometimes we think it sounds good because it has so many effects to make it loud, but really we are fooling our ears and it is in fact dynamically and harmonically difficient. It sounds good for the first minute, but after that we want to change the channel.

G,W

Re: Da Mix in Da Zen

:lol: CD's, mixes, what ever they're never right :lol:

After hours of recording or fiddling I think yor brain convinces you that it's got to be right to give itself a rest. The you listen again the next day and feel like you need to start again.

we recorded a CD at a mates a few years ago. I hate it. Other people (that I can only assume are being kind) like it and actually choose to listen to it. I can hear every little thing that to my ears is not (and probably never would be right).

perfectly imperfect seems to be the most appropriate phrase :lol:

Hi Kev. I kind of wrote that for fun. Using mixing as a metaphor for Zen practice.

I hate it. Other people (that I can only assume are being kind) like it and actually choose to listen to it.
    :lol: That's the thing though, you have to actually sit back and enjoy the music for what it is without letting it get to you. Some people say this body is old Karma. Making and mixing music's the same. We come at it from an angle that the music that we made a week ago or a year ago has something to do with us (like it's our music), but really it is what it is. The Kev that made that song, isn't the Kev listening to that song right now. So we move on to the next song and appreciate the others for what they are.

Anyway...

G,W

Yeh, perfectly imperfect, perfectly what they are/were, and perfectly pointing out the self in it all :lol: