Thread: BBC documentary on meditation

BBC documentary on meditation

Hi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009pg5g.shtml

Here's a recent BBC documentary on meditation and it's effects on the body and mind including a bit about MCBT, mindful cognitive behavioural therapy for depression and structural changes that have been measured in meditators.

It's only there for about 6 days to stream but you can download it.

Kev

Re: BBC documentary on meditation

Hello Kev,

It was an interesting program. I liked the way they were not jumping to conclusions too early on in the research. Also what a great way to help people with depression.

P.S. Unfortunately link won't work for people outside the UK.

Hi Kev,

Yes I watched that. Very interesting. I didn't like the TM bit though - all those guys hopping around on their buttocks! She was better when she got to the part about how meditation influences mental health, I thought, but, then, scientists often seem to make an unnecessary false dualistic distinction between the physical and mental. I also don't like the way science has to be the final authority as to whether anything is valid or not in our society,

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I also don't like the way science has to be the final authority as to whether anything is valid or not in our society,
    Science is just a testable hypothesis, something I think is always a good thing. Sometimes scientists don't have the motivation or can't figure out the right questions, though...

Didn't realise you couldn't watch iplayer outside the UK, sorry. That seems daft as it's up there on the net with no obvious restrictions.

Yeh the yogic flyers was definitly not a high point of it but the rest was interesting.

Kev

Yes, I watched it too Kev, and I was pleased that something which I know is so helpful personally was going out to a wider public and that so many positive things were said about it. Interesting to hear that a part of the brain of regular meditators shows up to be thicker than those of non-meditators!

Jenny

Glenn

Looks like an interesting program. Too bad I'm unable to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog
    Didn't realise you couldn't watch iplayer outside the UK, sorry. That seems daft as it's up there on the net with no obvious restrictions......

Kev
    I guess there's one good reason for the TV tax (or whatever it's called) that you're paying. :wink:

Yeh we have a TV licence over here something like £150 a year but I didn't realise that would affect what's on the web. I don't think you have to have a TV licence here to use the internet?Or may be you do?

Kev

I think the point is that the UK TV tax can't be used to pay for delivering service to people who aren't in the UK. In other words, your taxes shouldn't pay for bandwidth to deliver video around the world. Or something like that.

I think it is because the Beeb like to sell programs overseas. If they release them for free over tinternet then they couldn't sell then to other channels. Something like that.