Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Announcement: The Always Open Zazen Cafe

Re: Pre-Announcement: The Always Open Zazen Cafe

In another 30 min. or so i'll be heading out to buy a webcam. Lookin to get a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. So should have a better pic up in a few hours. Not to mention I can actually take part in the Meeting Hall and Zen Hall.

If I can find a regular time to sit I may even *gasp* start booking some slots.

It won't be just you anymore ,Rob. Well you weren't alone anyways, but you're the one i usually end up sneaking in on.

Dave

Well, if I do a full 30min. i'll have to chair sit. Getting a bit more flexible and feel much more balanced. I try to sit burmese in 10 min segments. Which usually means floor sit for those 10 min. then get up and chair sit for another 10-20 min.

I have discovered that at 20 min.s trying to sit burmese I kind of would like to have my left leg and parts of my back removed.

Dave

got my cam up and working, just trying to get it all tweaked.

Dave

Is there a 3rd party program of some kind that will allow me to get my full cam view for mebeam? Seems it doesn't want to give the full cam shot ( like if i was taking stills). Which makes it a bit harder to get good angles and such.

Dave

I tried it with Yahoo messenger ( horrid fps btw) and CamFrog yesterday. I didn't notice any difference from the normal view through the logitech software.
    Butt i didn't do it experiment style either so if there was some loss it was not as noticeable as MeBeam. And that view is the same whether i create a video or snap a still.

MeBeam seems to just take part of that view and enlarges it to fit the box. Like a square cut out in the center.

Dave

P.S. As a quick edit, I just reinstalled ManyCam. And if I have it go through ManyCam as the default device then the image is normal as with the logitech software.
    So folks may wanna try it that way and see if it betters their own streams.

My wife got off work early and needed the computer for school, so I won't be using the zenhall at the time I scheduled tonight. (9:30pm to 10:30pm Eastern Standard Time US, Sunday June 7) Sorry if it caused any problems.

Ron

hi guys - after 2 days of struggling with xubuntu on my laptop, i, temporarily, give up -- this means the webcam only runs on the ancient desktop, which sounds like ____ -- so i'll actually be sitting in the next room -- so if you see an "empty zafu", or nothing at all, i'm still there, sitting with you, in the next room -- you'll probably be seeing/not seeing a lot of me this next week

gassho, bob

Doesn't technology just suck sometimes, Bob? I hope ya get it all worked out.

Dave

dave - when you pay $12 for a computer, you gotta expect to tinker a bit -- i just refuse to put out 100 + for winxp -- plus, i really appreciate what the linux folks have done, for free

actually, the technology gods are smiling on us -- i've noticed that mebeam is very stable, compared to last year -- of course, you have to get 2 windows up within 90 seconds, but after that it stays put, for hours -- and it refreshes without kicking you out, which is what it used to do -- 20minutes , you were out

and thanks to my compadre, padre, for the company -- its great to have company in the hall

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    and thanks to my compadre, padre, for the company -- its great to have company in the hall
    I second that. Thanks padre.

Ron

p.s. Sorry I keep missing you in the zen hall Roky, I'm glad you have someone to sit with.

Re: Announcement: The Always Open Zazen Cafe

sorry for not sceduling in advance, ron, so that does make it a bit difficult to connect -- i have the luxurious retired life: no money, but i'm the boss(unfortunately, i'm my own worse boss), so i can sit whenever, at least when my wife is away from this one room shack(20X25) -- are you and padre really sitting at 1:30am, or is my time zone screwed up?

anyway, todays the monthly sit, i think at 12 est, so i'll be there -- bill gates must love me, cause i actually got winxp to work on my laptop, with webcam -- but no sound -- i'll get it - but i can use the desktop on ustream to hear jundo, and the laptop for mebeam

mebeam took about 10minutes to connect this am, hope that was just a maintenance issue, cause its been solid on so far

gassho, bob

Roky,

I think your timezone is screwed up! We usually sit somewhere around 9:30, 10:00 pm Eastern Standard Time.

Ron

i'd love to join in on the evening sits, but i'm just, again, getting off caffeine -- i'm having trouble staying awake past noon :P

my first teacher used to sit very late, sometimes around the clock -- when i'm on retreat, sometimes i can do the hours you guys do, but mostly i just start dreaming, and falling over -- but maybe once the caffeine addiction is under control

well, i blew that -- sat down with the webcam, wondering where is everybody, then i figured out it was now 1am in japan -- i'll do it recorded

sounds nice, i'll have to check it out -- right now i'm down to 1 cup of sencha -- unfortunately, if i continue with that, it will just increase -- unlike most, i truly have an addiction --

padre the tea man -- actually, the sencha is decaf, safe for me -- what i'm still hung up on is the chun mee, but only for the caffeine -- i'm not very up on it, but i will say, that a good cup of tea, including my decaf sencha, tastes very good when drunk with awareness

and mebeam was acting up for me this afternoon, hopefully not a sign of last years problems -- since, without a local sangha, you guys is all i've got

but :P , i now have winxp and win2k dual-booted on both my laptops!! -- with sound and webcam(actually, a $10 aiptek megacam that doubles as a webcam)

see you in the hall

I actually just got everthing setup to go for a sit in the zen hall and its a no go for me. could be this laptop but it worked last time i tested it a week ago. Any one else having an issue?

Gassho, Shohei

I just checked and It's okay for me. Tuesday 9:23 pm EST. I'm going to sit at 9:30.

Ron

i will be joining you for a second sit then

Gassho Shohei

shohei/dirk -- what are the exact symptoms, as i've been dealing mucho over the last 2 weeks with mebeam on different operating systems

for instance, in some instances, mebeam's control panel wouldn't function, that is, the one that says "do you want mebeam to have access..." -- the buttons for yes or no wouldn't function

another: they function, but say you don't have a webcam hooked up

and then there's the old favorite, you get kicked out,even though you have 2 windows -- which i think is not my computer, but server, or mebeam

its the first one thats bad news, cause i never found a fix, nor has anyone else, in my research -- its specific to the os

gassho, roky

a big howdy to dave(zendave?) in the zen hall this morning, was nice to have company -- if you want to sit on a regular basis, let me know and i will try to make it at whatever time -- i'm somewhat restricted by some other factors, but can give it a go

do not be alarmed if the webcam shows a furry critter sitting in my place, this is my neighbor, totoro, and occasionally, when i grow tired of the computer's roar, i sit in the bedroom, while he sits with the webcam -- so if you see totoro, its me/him sitting

it helps that he has a large butt, and so doesn't need a zafu -- i only have one

gassho, roky

mebeam was uncooperative this am, as i think padre had noted recently -- but i figure those times will happen, and as long as i can sign up on the scheduler, you all know if the hall is empty or not

my wife is off for a couple weeks, and sadly, my 14 yr old has to go back to her mom, so i'll use this time for a more intensive period of practice, so you'll be seeing me signed up a bit, beginning tomorrow -- though it may be with/without the webcam, and with/without my stand-in, totoro

gassho, rokyb

Hi.

One thing about the sitting schedule, i sit with my son in the mornings (when he get's up i get up...) and when he takes a nap in the daytime.
    Since i don't know when that will happen i can't really schedule my sitting, but i would like to put an poster up on the schedule at the current time, now you can only book the next "halfhour forward", which means i'll be nearly done when it says i'm scheduled to sit...
    Can it be done?

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Hi.

One thing about the sitting schedule, i sit with my son in the mornings (when he get's up i get up...) and when he takes a nap in the daytime.
    Since i don't know when that will happen i can't really schedule my sitting, but i would like to put an poster up on the schedule at the current time, now you can only book the next "halfhour forward", which means i'll be nearly done when it says i'm scheduled to sit...
    Can it be done?

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    I am an "if it works, don't fix it" kind of guy

I would say that, if you are just sitting "now", all will see that fact when they enter the Zen Hall and see you there! 8) Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Hi.

Can it be done?

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    I am an "if it works, don't fix it" kind of guy

I would say that, if you are just sitting "now", all will see that fact when they enter the Zen Hall and see you there! 8) Gassho, J
    Hi
    Right.
    And everybody checks there first...
    I was more on the line "filur is starting to get sleepy and going to sleep so in 5 minutes i will be sitting there" but the schedule doesnt cope with that, only if i sit in 25 minutes...
    But i guess you're right.
    It's good to have it at least...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

fugen -- lots of flex in this one -- its up to you, but i almost never sign up on the scheduler in advance -- cause of the "pressure" it might create to stick to that schedule -- but some people like to sign up in advance, i think their life schedule is busier than mine -- i can only sit when my life leaves our 20X25' cabin, and you don't tell a sicilian woman, "honey, you have to leave at 10am so i can sit" -- so i sit when "the time is right" -- so as i go about my work, i will occassionally come in the house and set up a sit, then later, back to work -- it feels more natural to me, and encourages me to maintain the awareness while working -- and i usually sit for 45 minutes, so i'm always over or under a bit

but today the laptop was acting up again, so i may have to switch to the noisy desktop, and my stand in, totoro :wink:

gassho, roky

Yeah I thought I saw you briefly, Bob. Hope it all gets sorted out.

Dave

dave - it helps to have a couple of spare computers around -- its the laptop, cause i did the last 1 1/2 hrs with totoro on the desktop, me in the bedroom, no problem

maybe this will start a zen hall "fad", i.e., cute little stuffed animals sitting together :lol: -- not sure if they qualify as sentient beings -- of course, i talk to all kinds of inanimate objects

but the mini-retreat is going to be interrupted by the convincing illusion that i sold the old mercedes, and the guy is coming to pick it up today, or so he just said -- something tells me the "kid" is going to show up with 1. no tools, 2. in the pouring rain, 3. very little mechanical skills -- but wait!! -- this could be the perfect opportunity for the "samu avenger" to go to work -- i can do the work for him, and instead of feeling ripped off, i'll just call it part of the retreat :idea:

isn't buddhism fun??

roky

Phoenix,
    If you go to the Board index. there is a "Technical FAQ" section, click on that and you will find most of the information that you need. If there are still questions that you have, post them here and someone will answer them for you.

Welcome to Treeleaf!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFiresky
    I'm planning to meditate until 9 - can I still put myself into that slot, in the interests of Jundo's desire to have someone in the zendo at all times?

I realize I could find this out by trial and error, but it seemed like this way would be faster. And less prone to me messing things up.

Gassho. Thanks in advance,
    Phoenix
    Hi,

The idea to have someone sitting there all times was an interesting aspiration ... and will remain so for sometime. Maybe we will try to organize a 1 day "Meditate-a-thon" for charity soon. That's a good idea.

But just a little reminder that our 4 hour Zazenkai is today ... a week later due to my travels ....

The 4 hour August "Zazenkai" retreat will be on Saturday 8/4 and commences from 9 p.m. Japan time (currently New York 8am, Los Angeles 5am, London 1pm and Paris 2pm, Saturday) ... and continues for 4 hours as follows:

00:00 – 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English ONLY / SANDOKAI) & ZAZEN
    00:50 – 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 – 01:40 ZAZEN
    01:40 – 01:50 KINHIN
    01:50 – 02:30 ZAZEN & DHARMA TALK
    02:30 – 02:40 KINHIN
    02:40 – 03:20 ZAZEN
    03:20 – 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 – 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN
    04:00 – 04:10 FOUR VOWS, VERSE OF ATONEMENT & CLOSING COMMENTS

As you can see, there will be 5 periods of Zazen, each 40 minutes long, although several include time for chanting. In between each period of Zazen, there will be a 10 minute period for Kinhin walking (which will also serve for any needed bathroom breaks).

More information here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=668

Phoenix.
    You can put yourself in a time slot as late as 1 minute before it starts (So say 8:29). You can not put yourself in a time slot after it has started (So 8:31 would not work)

Ron

phoenix - yup, like ron says, last minute works fine -- literally, i sometimes get in at the last minute, because i rarely know my daily schedule -- for instance, i thoiught i would sit the zazenkai, then the weather finally broke, and it was time to do solo sailing zen, for 2 days -- seriously, it was very silent, and good practice for me

i assume you know its fine to jump in when someone is signed up -- just like in a physical meditation hall, a space where people come to sit together, or alone -- in retreats in the "real" world, i've always felt other's presence in the mediation hall, and find it to be encouraging, since there is quite an effort involved in sustaining a regular practice

and since we haven't met before, welcome

gassho, roky

In case your trying to sit using the Virtual Zendo or Meeting Hall...and having no success today -
    I posted this over on another thread however to ensure its not missed:

Hi folks!
    This has happend in the past... here is why

Current Treeleaf code to name and load the "zen hall" :

Mebeam has updated their stuff and so now things are handled like this:

Okay so this means in human terms the embedflashvar here on Treeleaf is no longer up to date. Its calling for the mebeam.swf source and mebeam has renamed it to hibeam.swf

So for now, until its fixed in the code here, the solution would be go to this link:

http://www.mebeam.com/Treeleaf-ZenHall
    and your golden.
    Same rules apply as before, 2 clients min or you get the boot.

Gassho
    Sho-Geek

Hiya
    The zen hall and meeting all should be working fine now.

Gassho
    Shohei

Thank You Dirk.

Ron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123