Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: The Always Open Zazen Cafe

Announcement: The Always Open Zazen Cafe

Dear All,

I've had a dream from long before the start of Treeleaf that can now be realized thanks to our lovely "Zazen Sitting Room" ... the "Always Open Zazen Cafe" ...

It is a simple really: If and when we have enough members in various locations and time zones, the proposal is to have at least one person commit to be sitting in the video Zendo for 1 hour, in some time zone, 24 hours a day. That way, there will always be at least one person sitting there, and a place folks from anywhere can always go 24 hours to have someone to sit with when they feel a little lonely in their Zazen. The candle will always be burning! With all the people we have in different time Zones, I think we can start to cover a lot of time, even if not 24 hours. And it is not really so much of a hassle I think, just a commitment to turn your camera on while you are sitting a daily round of Zazen.

Now, I think it is too early to start something like that, and lets wait a little while to work out the kinks in the place and get used to it. Eventually, I foresee an online sign-up schedule where folks can commit to the hours in which they will sit (folks can commit to do it, for example, for a block of weeks or a month, for example ... it does not have to be for 9 years like old Jundo's "Sit-a-Long with Jundo" Vow. In fact, a vow to do it for a few weeks or more can be your own personal practice commitment and opportunity!). For now, I just wanted to toss the idea out there so people could think about it,

It is a little like some nuns I once read about ...

Nuns Keep Alive a Chain of Prayers, Nonstop Since 1878

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9629C8B63

(actually, I heard a similar story about some Buddhist priests chanting for peace too, but I cannot find information about them now) who pray 24 hours non-stop, one nun at a time. Whatever you feel about their efforts, it is kinda nice to know somebody is out there who cares.

Of course, the sitting room will also continue to be used for informal group sits (like Will is organizing) and more formal sittings and events like our "One Day Zazenkai's" and "Jukai".

So, that the "Always Open Zazen Cafe"!

Gassho, Jundo

Re: Pre-Announcement: The Always Open Zazen Cafe

In fact, a vow to do it for a few weeks or more can be your own personal practice commitment and opportunity!
    Great for practice

Gassho Will

Yugen

Great for our community and support of one another.... I'm up for it!

Gassho,
    Alex

I am up for it too! Wonderful idea!

sounds good to me.

I think it's a great idea! Very helpful for practice!
    Ron

Gaijin

This sounds wonderful!
    I'm in, no doubt!

I'm in with both feet

Me, too!

Linda

This is beautiful. Thank you for this idea, Jundo. I will join as soon as I am able.

Justin

This is so awesome. I am up for volunteering in the central time zone. I typically sit before work in the mornings and would have no problem adding more in. If I were to take, say an hour, would it be possible to put some kind of text under my video stream stating how I would structure it? For instance "25 minutes sitting, 10 minutes kinhin, 25 minutes sitting" so any participants would know there's a reason I don't show up on camera at times? I'd not want them to think it was "25 minutes sitting, 35 minutes napping with my zafu pillow" or some such. :lol:

It's already starting

I tend to sit at kind of random times, I'm not very good at following schedules. But when I sit, I turn on the webcam and going to the Sitting Hall just for kicks. Today I was joined about halfway through, I think it was Louis, and he was still sitting after I finished up. Very cool!

Shane: When I write the scheduling application, I'll make sure to have the ability to have a description for the session so you can describe it like you said.

Skye

I figured out how to us my "handycam" as a webcam. (I felt like a "peeping Tom" participating with just an avatar).

I usually sit 9pm EST. everyday if anyone wants to do a sit along. I listen to Jundo's talk and then switch over to the Zazen Cafe. I sit for 20-30 minutes. Nothing fancy.

Thanks again Skye and Jundo.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rculver

I usually sit 9pm EST. everyday if anyone wants to do a sit along. I listen to Jundo's talk and then switch over to the Zazen Cafe. I sit for 20-30 minutes. Nothing fancy.
    I do the same as you, Ron. I just sat today starting around 9:30 PM EST so looks like I'm taking the slot after you. :mrgreen:

Great idea, I am in!

I normally sit at 5 am CET ( or 3 am UTC) for about 25-30 min on week days and it would be great to share the morning sitting with someone else some time.

Irina

Just to keep this thread up to date, the Zen Hall Schedule beta is now available for booking

http://www.treeleaf.org/zendo/schedule.php

More information & bug reports over here:

http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=728

Gassho,
    Skye

hello,

I think the zen hall and meetings rooms are currently out of action (what action?).

all the best,

Philip

Hi,

Is the meeting room and zen hall working okay at the moment? I could see myself or any chat box.

Many thanks,

Paul

http://www.mebeam.com (the site that provides the video conferencing) is currently down.
    I have no other information as to when it might come back.

In the mean time, continue to sit zazen

Edit 10:25pm - appears to be back online.

Thanks, it wasn't there this morning (6am Tokyo) but came back around 7:30am.

Cheers,

Paul

Grrrrr... re-organised the computer to do my sit tonight (8pm london) but then mebeam went down just before it

Hey ho, will see if it's working tomorrow night same time.

In gassho (to meabeam too :wink: ), Kev

Schedule is looking a little bare these days, I know mebeam can be kind of flaky sometimes but go for it anyway

http://www.treeleaf.org/zendo/schedule.php

My computer crashes just about every time I use the Zendo with my camera so I'm going to use an avatar until I can update it. It's about time for a new one anyway. :wink:

Ron

Hoping to book an evening session once we've cracked our new routine with Clare back at work and me being the home Dad with Beren.

With a bit of luck I'll pop in while he's asleep in the day.

Do be disheartened Skye, it's still a great thing and all credit to you for sorting it.

In gassho, Kev

I have similar problems to Kev. I too have strange time randomness with a young child. When I sit I do use the hall
    but don't often mark it in the schedule in case I can't make it or have to go early. I don't want to book and not turn up.
    I do think it will be beneficial to get more structure so am working on a random sit during the day and a fixed one at night. I will try and post the night sit.

It is working well. Just in a silent way without bells, Adhans or flashing lights.

how's the "cafe" working? -- as a new guy, not even a week old, i've been trying to use it during my self-retreat (which is now over -- family returning) -- but i didn't see anyone scheduled cept charles (thanks for being there) -- are there people sitting but not scheduling? -- cause it looks real bare based on the schedule

i joined treeleaf primarily to have others to sit with, so i love this opportunity, want to take advantage of it -- but have to admit it would be nicer if it wasn't just me -- or maybe i'm not understanding the technology and lots of folks are out there

and did i miss a page, or is this the first post re:zen hall since may? -- people's posts sounded so enthusiastic back then

gassho, bob

I like the idea of the Zen Hall (and the Meeting Hall), but being new I haven't really felt ready to jump in as yet. I only figured out how to even enter either Hall a few days ago after I got my webcam working and even then I haven't been able to get in all the time. Are there defined rules/etiquette for each Hall?

I've just gotten lazy and things kept coming up making it hard to be on time (mostly computer issues). But, I've noticed that I didn't slack off nearly as much when I would commit to being in the Zen Hall so I think it is time for me to get back into the habit.

Thanks guys.

Ron

great to here that other folks are enthusiastic about the hall -- having sat in other centers, i have to admit it feels like the "real" thing, i.e., i feel that i'm sitting with others -- not sure why that means anything, but it does keep me going -- well, as the band i was in said, "we are all one animal"

having said that, you will see me absent from the schedule this week, with the arrival of my 12 yr old for a week stay -- in this 20x25 square foot cabin, there is no private space, other than the bathroom, so my computer sitting spot is now her bedroom -- this means i will sit in the boat in my backyard, minus computer

gassho, bob

did anyone else have difficulty with the sound on yesterday's live saturday zazen? -- or was it just my funky computer? -- couldn't hear jundo til i cranked it way up, then when folks said hello at the end, just about blew out the speakers -- glad i wasn't wearing headphones

gassho, bob

I should be back in the hall for regular sittings.
    My time-table has been too hit and miss and I could not make the time slots I took, so stopped booking them.
    I have sat before and others have dropped in and I have also stumbled on one or two sittings. I does appear that sometimes there are quite a few slots booked but other times empty. Maybe there has just been a little dry season.

seems to still be some technical problems with the cafe, no? -- screen keeps disappearing, so having to lean over and click about 10 times during each half hour sit -- will be unfortunate if this is still going on during today's live sit w/jundo

bob

If so, just use the Ustream connection which, though "one way", is stable. It will be here in about 1 hour (midnight Japan time) ...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sit-a-long-with-jundo

Has anyone been having any trouble in the cafe? :?

I have been using an avatar and I keep getting kicked out of the cafe and into mebeam's homepage. It happens about every 5 minutes.

Bob,
    Is that the same thing that happens with you?

Ron

ron - yes, that is exactly what's happening, and it's happening on both of my computers -- i sit with the mouse nearby, so that everytime it does it, i can click back, and then it comes back on -- still think its my computer -- would help to compare notes on this - i have win98 on one, and win2k on the other, both with about 128mb ram, one has 366mhz processor, the other 892, and i'm on a fast cable connection -- i've been assuming its my antiquated computers, what are you using?

if it starts to bug me, i turn the computer off, and just sit "alone" - which is why i posted before re: my zen hall schedule -- i remain very committed to using the hall, but this is an unfortunate technical problem

and i don't think it does it when others are in the hall, like on saturdays with the live jundo sit -- but then i can't hear jundo

bob

today i timed it -- i think its an exact amount, not random, about 5 minutes, theres a "click" on my laptop, as if i had clicked the mouse, and i'm off mebeam - ??

I'm not a computer guy but I'm running windows xp, a pentium 1.5GHz processor and 128mb of ram. (Whatever that means) I have a DSL connection. My computer is about 6 years old.

Ron

Let me just ask: Is it shutting off when there is only 1 person on, but usually not shutting off when multiple people are on at the same time? Then maybe it is something about the software thinking that 1 person is not a "conference", and shutting down. Just a guess. It seems fairly stable on Saturdays when we have multiple people.

Gassho, Jundo

i don't recall being kicked off on saturdays, just audio issues and the "flashing" of my image(which hasn't been happening lately) -- sometimes i sit with charles, so i'd like to check it then -- probably not today, cause its my wife's birthday

tried posting a question to the mebeam forum, message got removed????! -- i'll try again

gassho, bob

Thanks Jundo and Bob. I'm usually alone in the hall so I'll try dropping in when someone else is there.

Ron

charles - well, that was a great idea - i'm about tho try it myself

finally got on to the mebeam forum -- their only hypotheses so far is either my antiquated computer, (can't be, cause ron's is also doing it), or the fact that there is no movement(actually, i'm not that still)

of course, bet it will work fine today in the big sit

bob

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    ...their only hypotheses so far is either my antiquated computer, (can't be, cause ron's is also doing it)...
    I wouldn't rule that out so fast. Ron's 6-year-old computer is pretty antiquated by modern standards. In particular, his 128 MB of RAM is probably barely enough to run the Windows XP software, much less do whatever it is this software needs to do. Yours might be having similar problems. Maybe the mebeam software starts eating RAM, uses up the tiny amount you've got available in about five minutes, then dumps you, freeing up the RAM. Then you log back in, and the process starts again; wash, rinse, repeat.

Not trying to knock your computer, Ron. Or yours, Bob. All I'm sayin' is, the folks on the mebeam forum might be right, at least in part.

--Charles

My problems didn't start until we installed a few more programs on the computer. It started with the webcam causing the system to crash and now this. Time to decide if I can delete any programs.(I should just buy a new computer)

Thanks Charles etc.

Ron

i think we can say its not a hardware, or os issue(not that they don't have their own problems) -- as charles pointed out, as soon as the room was joined by another computer, no more 5 minute disconnect -- so i tried it out, by also entering the zen hall with my other computer -- as soon as the second screen came on, the disconnecting stopped

now, if we can find anyone who has stayed in the zen hall, alone, for more than 5 minutes -- but so far the pool is limited, mostly, to me, ron, and charles, and in our 3 cases, mebeam is disconnecting if we are there alone

gassho, bob

tried going in with both computers this morning, and again, this seems to be the solution -- sat for the half hour with no disconnection(mebeam refreshes at a certain point, but does not disconnect) -- soon as i turned one computer off, 5 minutes later the other computer was disconnected from mebeam

ron, if this is correct, your problem may not be with your computer, it may be how mebeam is programmed -- as jundo pointed out, it may be that mebeam is designed for conferencing, not for solo -- in that case, it will always disconnect every 5 minutes if you're the only one in the hall, regardless of what computer you're using -- just something to consider before you invest in new hardware

gassho, bob

Harry,

Just open open a second window (or tab) in your browser. That's been working just fine for me the last week.

Gassho,
    Scott

HI Harry,
    You might try using a less buggy web browser like firefox or Safari.

Good Luck,
    Jordan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast