Thread: re: Sitting Schedule

Re: my Sitting Schedule

Hi Will,

Well, if this schedule is correct, a midnight (Japan Time) sitting is no problem for me. This seems to give the most world coverage:

Skye Vancouver 8:00am
    US East Coast 11:00 am
    Kev England 3 pm
    Plankton Spain 4 pm
    Will China 11pm
    Jundo Japan Midnight

And for our "half-day" Zazenkai sittings, I could start, for example, on the following schedule.

Skye Vancouver 5:00am
    US East Coast 8:00 am
    Kev England Noon
    Plankton Spain 1 pm
    Will China 8 pm
    Jundo Japan 9 PM

Good for everyone ... maybe not so much for Skye! :wink:

What do you think of making this our "standard" activity times for now? I am flexible too, and can moves things back or forth an hour ... or even some other time.

Gassho, Jundo

Sounds good to me

I'll double check the times.

G,W

Yep. Those are right.

W

Shall we start this tomorrow?
    29th your midnight

W

Re: re: Sitting Schedule

Hola,

16:00 is good for me but I will probably have my son with me most days at that time. Not a problem for me and I can turn the sound off it he gets a little too loud (he's teething a little at the moment).

I hope to see you all there

Philip

Yeh good here too for a general thing

29th is saturday. Is that what you meant Will/Jundo, each saturday?

This whole thing is totally amazing :lol:

Anyway see some of you at 15.00UK today.

In gassho, Kev

That works

At Treeleaf, we meditate with kids when the kids are around.

Turning off the sound will certainly be sufficient for everyone.

I will try to make the sitting. I may also try to record it for posterity (filming it for USTREAM if I may). I have a way to do it.

Gassho, Jundo

I mentioned the 29th Jundo's time because it's midnight for him. It should be the 28th for everyone else. I'll be on there everyday (unless something happens)

btw the rest of my sitting schedule is:

6:30am

5:30pm (sometimes my internet doesn't work at this time)

Beijing time

I'll be online then

G,W

Jundo. Will you be on there daily at midnight or a certain day?

W

Assuming I get the time right next time ops: I'll try to be there for your 6.30am one Will, that's 2.30pm here UK.

Your 5.30pm is 1.30am here :shock: I'm not that hardcore :lol:

Already apologised to Will but apologies to Em? too for bounding in there with a Boo! ops: I didn't think you were sitting, thought the pic had frozen as I was logging in ops: as it was 45 min before when (I thought) we were going to sit :lol:

Look forward to these.

In gassho, Kev

P.S We jump an hour forward to British summer time on sunday,don't know if others change?

I would suggest we start with one day a week, probably a Saturday or Sunday, that I would lead? Midnight Japan time is best, and does not change for daylight savings ... so everyone can plan their time accordingly. "Midnight Sitting" also sounds a bit romantic!

Later, we might see if we want to expand the sittings I lead to twice a week, plus monthly one day or half day "retreats"? Does that sound like a good way to get started and try this out? Of course, folks are free to organize sittings on their own at any time, amongst themselves.

Would people be up to a opening ceremony and a little chanting before we sit, maybe a round of the Heart Sutra? I'd like to do that if I lead a sitting. And does everyone want to do two periods of Zazen with Kinhin, or just one period of Zazen? 30 Minutes each of Zazen? Again, let's start small and work up.

Gassho, Jundo

Schedule looks good, Jundo if you want to lead on the weekend, a Saturday morning is better than Sunday morning for me at least. Occasionally I still get myself out on Saturday night

I'll sit at 8am PDT tomorrow too (Friday) if anyone wants to join and make it a regular weekday thing (and as many weekdays after that as I can muster) if that works for everyone. Nothing fancy, no leader, just sitting.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... c=0&p1=256

Eventually, I would like to write a scheduling application where people could reserve blocks of time in the Sitting Room, with automatic time zone conversion. A built-in timer on the page would count down to session start and ring bells for start and end. Maybe email reminders, and support for recurring events. Plus lots of animated GIFs of dancing hamsters. Something like that, but that's down the road a bit. For now coordinating on the Forum seems to work fine.

Start small and work up = good

Skye

This is great . . .
    My vote is for Saturdays. I am an Eastern Time zone person, so the only days I can do 11am are Saturdays and Sundays. I could make some Sundays (the weeks we are not attending the local UU church).

Also, would it be a good idea if we adopted a universal time system for our discussions so that we are not constantly figuring out others' time zones, like GMT or ZULU or TZT (that's Treeleaf Zen Time)?
    Just a thought,

Bill

Good idea, Bill. We should probably list everything first in Universal Coordinated Time (UTC) and then in local time zones. I'll add a UTC clock to the sitting room page tonight. Note that UTC and GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu Time are all basically the same thing.

So, see you tomorrow at Friday, March 28, 2008 at 15:00:00 UTC

Skye

I agree with Bill, and I like the idea of treeleaf time or timelessness. I am in the same boat since I work Monday thru Friday 0600 - 1700 EST it will be hard for me to make mid day sittings. But once again thanks Skye and Jundo for all your help. This is a very exciting time for all of us!

Gassho,
    Damian

Would people be up to a opening ceremony and a little chanting before we sit, maybe a round of the Heart Sutra? I'd like to do that if I lead a sitting. And does everyone want to do two periods of Zazen with Kinhin, or just one period of Zazen? 30 Minutes each of Zazen? Again, let's start small and work up.
    sounds good. I be down for just one 30 minute round for now with kinhin.

Hey Kev

I think that's actually the other way around. Right now it's 6:20am that's 10:20 pm your time, so 5:30pm would be 9:30 am your time.

G,W

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'll get it right one day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Skye

Eventually, I would like to write a scheduling application where people could reserve blocks of time in the Sitting Room, with automatic time zone conversion. A built-in timer on the page would count down to session start and ring bells for start and end. Maybe email reminders, and support for recurring events. Plus lots of animated GIFs of dancing hamsters. Something like that, but that's down the road a bit. For now coordinating on the Forum seems to work fine.

Start small and work up = good

Skye
    You are too cool. Thanks for all these neat toys.

Linda

Hello everyone,

Is this schedule valid for all the upcoming Saturdays? Where do we sit, in the "Sitting room"?
    Would like to try that some time: so far I have been sitting with myself or the recorded video of Jundo sensei.

I.

PS Great idea with the time converter!