Thread: Enlightenment Question

Enlightenment Question

I understand "enlightenment" to be one's ability to live from that place of peace and silence. Therefore, one's "level" of "enlightenment" can be determined by their level of understanding and ability to live from this "place".

If the above is accurate, my question is....

If Siddh?rtha Gautama is so celebrated for achieving the "ultimate enlightment"....What does that say about all of the "Zen masters" over the years? Why are they not as celebrated as Siddh?rtha Gautama? Have they fallen short of achieving this "ultimate enlightenment"? If so, why are they considered Masters?

Thank you in advance for helping me understand. Please remember that words are cumbersome, but I've tried to explain myself as clearly as possible.

- John

Re: Enlightenment Question

Hi Johnny,

Whatever this "enlightenment" is (if it is something) is for you to find out for yourself.

Who is to say who is greater and who is lesser? Maybe things have even improved since the time of the Buddha (25 centuries of experience and experiment might do that), while yet being at heart much the same as the Buddha experienced. WIlber and Orville Wright are celebrated for a Kitty Hawk glider, yet I much prefer the 777 for travel.

Greater and lesser degrees do not matter in our Practice. We drop all thought of "greater" and "lesser". We say that Johnny's sitting Zazen is the Buddha's sitting Zazen.

In today's talk on the "Sit-a-Long" we looked at a curious statement by Master Dogen: That enlightenment may be a realization of "something missing", while ignorance and self-satisfaction lead to a belief in the opposite. It seems puzzling at first, but see if you can get his point ...

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/03 ... n-xxx.html

I hope that helps.

Gassho, Jundo

Re: Enlightenment Question

Jundo,

Thank you very much for your response...and I follow what you're saying.

"We say that Johnny's sitting Zazen is the Buddha's sitting Zazen."...this really resonated with me.

Thanks,

John