Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone up for Zazenkai??

Re: Anyone up for Zazenkai??

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Hi Guys,

Well, since it looks like there is some enthusiasm for the idea, and now that I am semi-settled back into Japan (still living in the kitchen though), how about we plan on a monthly day or half-day Zazenkai? I can livecast (and archive) a new one each month, and everyone can "sit-a-long" as their schedules allow ... dropping all thought of now, then, here, there. It would be run in exactly the same manner as most Zen Sangha hold a monthly one day or half day "Zazenkai". We can start with half days, and then experiment with full days too.

I am hoping that our sitting group here in Tsukuba will become active again over the coming months, so then we will have folks sitting in 3 Dimensions here at "Treeleaf Japan"while everyone sits with us "out there". Soon, I will take you on a tour of Tsukuba. It is a very neat town.

How does that sound? It will be the first step to the online multi-day retreat that I am planning for later this year.

Let me know if you like the idea and might join in.

Gassho, Jundo
    Great idea, Jundo!

*deep TV announcer voice* BUDDHA FANS!! SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY at the Treeleaf Dome -- nitro powered battle of just sitting in an all-star rampage of here-there crushing mayhem!! Show your Rakusu and kids sit free! We'll sell you the whole zafu BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EEEEEDDDGGGEEE

Skye

PS: The half day sounds awesome!

Count me in for the monthly sits. . . they'll be a great addition to my practice.

Is anybody still planning to do the Zazenkai this weekend?

Who is sitting tomorrow morning? I just returned from my trip earlier than planned and will be available. When are we doing it, 8:00ish?

I would like to but I am being dragged to the inlaws for Easter. Maybe next week?

Gassho,
    Damian

Who is sitting tomorrow morning?
    Me! Me! I'm going to start around 8:00.

I'll start sitting at 8am EDT.

I like this, BTW. Even though most of us sit everyday anyway, it is cool knowing that we will be sitting at the same time (mostly).

Bill

Great! Looking forward to it.

Yugen

I'll start sitting at 8 AM ET as well. I agree that it is neat to know we'll be sitting together - I usually sit late at night for two thirty minute periods. Adding a sitting in the morning with you is great. "See" you in the AM!

Alex

Cool
    Just off to sit now - 08:00 hrs (GMT), but will send you a nod at 12:00hrs (8am EDT)
    Best wishes
    Jools

Good Morning Treeleafers. I'm just off to sit.

Sounds like a good idea!

Cool
    Just off to sit now - 08:00 hrs (GMT), but will send you a nod at 12:00hrs (8am EDT)
    Best wishes
    Jools
    Joined you for an extra 45 mins at my midday today - now off to do family stuff
    Cheers
    Jools

Great stuff, folks! I enjoyed thinking of all of you during the Zazenkai.

Well, got some Easter eggs to paint with the kid.

Gassho,
    Tracy

Yugen

Easter egg hunt at our house - Thanks for sitting this morning everyone - we didn't paint eggs this year... we're going to chocolate route!

Jools, Thanks for sitting across time zones! Tracy, Gregor, Bill, Skye, Thanks for your fellowship today!

Have a wonderful rest of the day -

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alex
    Jools, Thanks for sitting across time zones! Tracy, Gregor, Bill, Skye, Thanks for your fellowship today!

Have a wonderful rest of the day -

Alex
    Back at ya!

Bill

Hi

Just letting you know that there'll be another one or two (Clare too if Beren's not feeding) planning to join in on your sunday sits. We'll be doing the 12 noon GMT sits (cheers for the UK time Jools).

Also looking forward to Jukai and the monthly sits Jundo

Will mentioned esle where about video conferencing type thing. If I get a webcam is there some cheap/free software you can use? That would be uber cool to sit and have a cuppa and chat afterwards, well I think it would :lol:

In gassho, Kev

P.S. I'm on a PC not mac if that makes a difference.

How about a European friendly timed sit? Treeleafers in Europe could sit together and maybe we could all sit now and again? (just thinking and don't want to cause segregation :? ).
    Kev don't know much about web cams but mine was about £25/£30 and works fine. It came with all necessary software and is very easy to use.

Yeh a euro timed sit would be good; 12 noon makes it likely that things will get in the way, like dinner . An 8am sit will only get in the way of sleep :lol: but I'm usually up then anyway.

Checked out some webcams, as ever they range from probably too cheap to be any good to probably OTT. Any ideas on the software side? Skype etc only seems to work for 1-1 video not a conference.

Kev

Hello Kev

Mornings are better for me rather than midday, though I am +1 hour ahead of you.

It looks like with Skype you can contact up to 25 people on conference call,

http://support.skype.com/index.php?_...ndetails&_i=92

I've never done it but it looks straight forward (famous last words).

My web cam is a Microsoft LifCam VX 1000 and my wife said we paid about £15/£20 ish for it, maybe? It is the only one we've has so can't recommend it over others but it works ok.
    Good luck with the endless search and all the best,

Philip

Cheers Philip, will look into it. That time is fine by me, 8am here, 9am there, 4am east states but all times at the same time :lol:

Let me know how this Skype conferencing stuff works out, seems interesting.

I'm with Gregor. 25 people sounds pretty cool.

G,W

By the way, I am looking at some video conferencing options for the Jukai. I don't think that Skype allows that for video (and "sound only" will make for an interesting Zazen sitting!!). :wink:

It would be great if you guys could test the following out for some of your sittings before we get to the Jukai.

This is one I am looking at closely although I have not tried it yet, apparently free for a basic version or very reasonable for a "pro" version ...

http://videochat.camfrog.com/

It would be nice if your guys tried it for any bugs and report back. I will be trying it too.

I may end up springing for one for a higher fee as the best option. Will suggested this one, but it has some limitations ...

http://blog.sellsiusrealestate.com/cool ... 008/01/28/

USTREAM.TV is one way, alhough it allows an unlimited number of viewers. We may end up using a combination of USTREAM and conferencing (on two separate computers here at Treeleaf) as the best way to conduct and record/netcast the ceremony.

Gassho, Jundo

This is what the screens for camfrog should look like, by the way ... acceptable for our purposes I think ...

http://www.camfrog.com/screenshots.phtml

Anyone want to do an early AM test of this stuff some morning this week? Like, video conference a "sit-a-long" some morning before work, or one night or something? A half hour sit sounds like a more reasonable and manageable test than our 2 hour dealies on Sundays...

Camfrog looks pretty good, a lot like the old CU-SeeMe video application from back in the 90s. If someone wants to organize a test I'd be interested... as long as its not before 8am PDT

I'm working on setting up our own personal Video room on camfrog on my server in Seattle, I'll let you all know if/when I get it up and running.

Cool, need to go to Maplins today for some cables and stuff so I'll check out a webcam and see if I can get it and camfrog going.

Be in touch, hopefully :lol:

Kev

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12