Thread: Buddhist buried alive for 2 hours survives by meditating

Buddhist buried alive for 2 hours survives by meditating

The Buddhist Channel, March 7, 2008

Ningbo, China -- A Buddhist builder buried alive for two hours survived by meditating on conserving his breath.
    Wang Jianxin, 52, should have died within five minutes of being entombed 6 feet underground.

But by slowing his breathing he eked out an air pocket in front of his face until rescuers dug him out.

Wang said: "I knew the air wouldn't last, so I made myself relax and concentrated on my breathing by meditation.

"It was very still and quiet down there. I was surprised at how easy it was to focus my mind and achieve inner calm, even though I believed I was facing death.

"Later, it became very hot and suffocating. I thought I might not make it back to the surface. Then I heard the sounds of voices and digging, and suddenly I could see again. It was the longest two hours of my life."

A doctor at the scene in Ningbo, eastern China, said: "It's a miracle."

Wang was digging a 15ft ditch at a building site when a wall of earth collapsed, burying him alive.

He said: "I had my back to the wall. I didn't know it was falling until it was on top of me."

Workmates and 11 firefighters dug Wang out. One said: "As we went deeper, we used our hands to dig as we feared our shovels might injure him. Then we had to hold the soil back with fencing."

Sensing a metaphor at play here. Let's see. What's the dirt then? Desire? The self?

Oh forget it. If you ever find yourself buried alive: zazen.

Check out these cool signs. They were put up all over London during The Blitz. When people had to live their lives every day in the midst of war.

http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailsg...b=sgs003&m=387

Felt it fit somehow.