Thread: zazen Kieth

zazen Kieth

Hey Kieth. Good to see you. Nice posture. How long have you been sitting?

Gassho Will

Hey Will,

Thank you! I've been sitting close to three years now. During that time I certainly have seen why Jundo and his ilk talk so much about the importance of posture. I've noticed that when my posture is off, my mind is really scattered.

Gassho,
    Keith

Your burmese is pretty good. How tall are you? My burmese is alright; however, I really have to bring my legs in towards my thighs. Have you tried quarter lotus?

Gassho Will

Hey Will,

Thank you, again. I am 5'10". I didn't even know there was a 1/4 lotus. Look at that. As I wrote elsewhere about posture, the Burmese seems to work just right for me.

Please know I don't think it's what you're suggesting but I get the impression from some teachers/writers that others need to "work up" to the various lotuses. I may do other forms someday, but at this point I'm not really interested in that. For now, I am very cool with the Burmese.

Gassho,
    Keith

Hey Guys,

Burmese is a good posture, I think it just boils down to having a posture you can hold and not have to worry to much about during the Zazen.

I really need to work on my fidgeting, I have this bad habit of wanting to move around to much during Zazen. I'm not sure of the best way to break this, but I'm going to try a prescription of more Zazen practice.

I'm going to go check out the Blog right now and see the "Keith Video", I cannot wait.

take care,

Greg

Kieth

Please know I don't think it's what you're suggesting but I get the impression from some teachers/writers that others need to "work up" to the various lotuses. I may do other forms someday, but at this point I'm not really interested in that. For now, I am very cool with the Burmese.
    Not really a suggestion, just mentioning it. I use it sometimes. Whatever works for you.

Gassho Will

Hey Will,

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Not really a suggestion, just mentioning it. I use it sometimes. Whatever works for you.
    I didn't mean to come across too defensive. I realize you weren't criticizing. I took your comment in the vein through which you were offering it. If we were together in person, I would've asked you to show me the 1/4 lotus. It just reminded me of other stuff I've read/heard.

Hey Greg,

Thanks for your nice comments here and on the Leaf! I think you're correct; the more we practice the more our postures and minds begin to settle.

Gassho,
    Keith

I didn't mean to come across too defensive. I realize you weren't criticizing. I took your comment in the vein through which you were offering it. If we were together in person, I would've asked you to show me the 1/4 lotus. It just reminded me of other stuff I've read/heard.
    Haha :lol:

Ahhh Posting. You can never really express yourself fully. I didn't think you took offense

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Ahhh Posting. You can never really express yourself fully. I didn't think you took offense
    I heartily agree. Glad we cleared THAT up. :wink:

Gassho,
    Keith