Thread: Mindful Leadership

Mindful Leadership

Just got in from my week in Jacksonville and preparing for my three days with the Dalai Lama here at Emory.
    Working in the hospital with a variety of leaders crystalized some of my thinking about urgency. If there ever was a place that epitomized the modern spirit of urgency, it is a hospital. And no better example that the emergency room. I was working with about 25 leaders who are walking examples of how such addiction to urgency causes ceaseless distraction. I found myself amazed by the scattered minds of the people I was working with, and in several instances talked privately with some nurses and doctors about meditation. They were very receptive and seemed hungry to find a way to settle their minds. Indeed, "in country" with so much chaos and confusion, I tripled my time of sitting zazen and found it essential to providing what my rabbi friend called "non anxious presence". Funny thing in talking to management, I was able to persuade them of the "bottom line" advantage given when the people providing care in such sitz can be centered, mindful...this was not in the original scope of our contract! This has inspired me to do some more thinking and writing about this as it relates to work. The Dalai Lama has a book out on this specifically. Any others you know of?
    I have just started reading The Mindful Leader by Michael Carroll. It looks promising.
    Having this community on my hotel desk was a part of staying centered. Thank you for being here.
    David aka PapaDoc

Hi David,
    Try Ellen Birx's Healing Zen. She is from the White Plum lineage and an heir of Robert Kennedy, and also a RN.

I have the book, but so far only skimmed it. I like it so far.

Gassho,
    Louis

Thanks Louis. I have read Kennedy and have been looking for ways to connect to his line. That's a great lead.
    just returned from an all day conference on meditation and depression. Some impressive and promising studies were presented by scientists in this field. The Dalai Lama was inspirational as well as exhibiting his amazing sense of humor. This is the 15th conference of the Mind-Life seminars. Tomorrow he will speak under the auspices of the Loseling Center at Emory in a general introduction to Buddhism. I am looking foward to it.
    David aka PapaDoc

Hi David,

Some of the books of Jon Kabat-Zinn might be of interest to people who wish to hear from another medical practitioner, and to strip all Buddhist or any "religious" label from the practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kabat-Zinn

http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-34 ... .y=5&Go=Go

Have a look.

Gassho, Jundo

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try to find them today. The man you mentioned, Cabot, is associated with Mind-Life Institute, the organization that sponsored Saturday's gathering at Emory on meditation as a therapeutic intervention in depression. Thanks for the reference.