Thread: Forgive a father's pride . . .

Forgive a father's pride . . .

Out of the blue the other day my 3 year old son offered up this sweet little koan of sorts and I thought you all might get a kick out of it:

"If baby squirrels wiggle in their sleep, what will the birds do?"

Of course I had no answer but a smile and a tickle/hug.

Your neighborhood sap,
    Bill

Not a sap at all Bill, thank you for sharing.

-Ryan

a father's pride

Hello Bill:

Sounds like the beginning of a children's book:

"If baby squirrels wiggle in their sleep, what will the birds do?"

The birds will jostle

and if the baby birds jostle in their sleep, what will the branches do?

The branches will shake

and if the branches shake while the birds are jostling, what will the leaves do?

The leaves will rustle

And if the leaves rustle, what will the spiders do?

The sleeping spiders will wake up and drop down from the leaves on their silken threads, attach a thread to a branch and spin a web to catch a dream for the sleeping baby squirrels, baby birds and you!

Now we just need some of the talented artists here to make some illustrations for us!

(This actually makes quite a nice little story, and little ones can wiggle, jostle, shake and rustle along with the story!)

gassho
    keishin

Hi Bill,

Yes, being a father of a 4 and a 1 year old, as well as an elementary school teacher, I think that was very sweet. Thanks for sharing that.

Keishin,

As a published children's author (all my books were freelance gigs and all are now out-of-print, but you can still pick up used copies), I think your idea is awesome. You've basically written the story already!

Gassho,
    Keith

Can I just add that I love this place!

I find that as I have committed to the at least once a day sit, it is easier to drop distractions and pay attention to moments like the one Bill shared. So thanks to the whole lot of you, I drag myself to the cushion, rain or shine, because I know you all are too.

Bill thank you for sharing and Keishin, I will try that out on Emma (22 months) tonight.

Did I hear there is a retreat in the works? See you all there.

gassho and with deep affection to you all,
    Louis

Thanks, Keishin for your idea. I like where you take it.

I turned around and asked my son yesterday the same question, "If baby squirrels wiggle in their sleep, what will the birds do?"

His response was quite unlike Keishin's. He said, "The birds will EAT THEM!" :lol:

Louis...My little girl is ten now but I remember all the previous ages with...oh, stuff that make my eyes hurt with joy. I don't often get to watch Jundo's blogs but you and I am sure others will appreciate this: How many sanghas do you have where the roshi has their little boy or girl climb into their lap while leading meditation and the roshi starts meditation, pauses, kisses the child on the head, then continues meditation. Jundo, at least at that moment, had his priorities firmly in hand. This is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Drut
    How many sanghas do you have where the roshi has their little boy or girl climb into their lap while leading meditation and the roshi starts meditation, pauses, kisses the child on the head, then continues meditation. Jundo, at least at that moment, had his priorities firmly in hand. This is unique.
    Amen, Drut! That is truly an example of "Everyday Zen."

Gassho,
    Keith