Thread: Wall Gazing

Wall Gazing

Jundo,

In some zen centers and monasteries zazen is done facing a wall.

I'm aware that this is what Bodhidharma supposedly did for nine years. What is this purpose of facing a wall?

I think you mentioned something about it before.

Gassho

Hey Will,

My opinion is that it adds a bit more to the sensory deprivation aspect of sitting in a quiet room. Less objects in the visual field to catch the eye and distract. In fact, I recommend it for sitting at home (I only sit facing forward on the Blogcast for technical reasons, and recommend people at home to face a blank wall. I also recommend sitting in noisy and distracting places, like McDonalds or the side of a highway ... but not as the main practice for most folks.)

After I came to the US and starting sitting and teaching at a Sangha associated with Maezumi Roshi's Lineage, with its Rinzai influence, I experience facing forward. Staring at the floor, a bit ahead of where one is sitting, can be much the same as staring at the wall. However, there is still a lot picked up in the visual field.

Anyway, that's the reason I think. That, and Soto TRADITION!

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Hey Will,

I also recommend sitting in noisy and distracting places, like McDonalds or the side of a highway ... but not as the main practice for most folks.)

Gassho, Jundo
    "From the beginning, it is best to practice zazen in the midst of strife and confusion. What use can there be for a zazen that requires a quiet place? - Suzuki Shõsan Rõshi

Jundo

My opinion is that it adds a bit more to the sensory deprivation aspect of sitting in a quiet room. Less objects in the visual field to catch the eye and distract. In fact, I recommend it for sitting at home (I only sit facing forward on the Blogcast for technical reasons, and recommend people at home to face a blank wall. I also recommend sitting in noisy and distracting places, like McDonalds or the side of a highway ... but not as the main practice for most folks.)
    Thanks.

Anyway, that's the reason I think. That, and Soto TRADITION!
    Ok. Ok. Tradition, right. sheesh you don't have to yell. :lol:

Gassho

Jun

"From the beginning, it is best to practice zazen in the midst of strife and confusion. What use can there be for a zazen that requires a quiet place? - Suzuki Shõsan Rõshi
    Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Jun

Hi Jun,

I completely agree with Shosan Roshi, and thus practice Zazen on the netcast Zazen sitting on the blog (at least once or twice a week) all over the place like in smelly garbage dumps, by the side of highways, in the street downtown, airports, with my son jumping on my head ...

However, there is something about learning the skill of quieting the mind that is facilitated by being in a quiet environment, with little distraction and few stimuli. Then, when one is thrown into the commotion and chaos of life, one knows just where the stillness is to be touched, where the balanced center is found, and what it feels like. It is much the same as learning Karate or one of the martial arts, which require the rather artificial environment of a Dojo or gymnasium for mastery. Later, when one is thrown into an actual street fight, all those 10000-times-repeated Kata 'click in'. Something like that.

Kata, and the other skills of the martial arts, by the way, should also be learned and practiced with no thought of 'attaining' (I believe).

Gassho, Jundo

Forgot to Gassho Jun.hehe.

Gassho (that's for Jun)

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Forgot to Gassho Jun.hehe.

Gassho (that's for Jun)
    :?: ZenNewbe Question…

“Gassho”: is this similar to Namaste? Is there any particular etiquette to this word or is it simply a pleasant greeting?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhis...s_and_concepts

Hope that helps, we somtimes use alot of diffrent words round here.
    "gassho" is an easy way of saying with palms togeather I bow. But it means sompthing special to alot of folks.

Take care,(another form of gassho)
    Jordan

However, there is something about learning the skill of quieting the mind that is facilitated by being in a quiet environment, with little distraction and few stimuli. Then, when one is thrown into the commotion and chaos of life, one knows just where the stillness is to be touched, where the balanced center is found, and what it feels like.
    Agreed.

It is much the same as learning Karate or one of the martial arts, which require the rather artificial environment of a Dojo or gymnasium for mastery. Later, when one is thrown into an actual street fight, all those 10000-times-repeated Kata 'click in'. Something like that.
    If one believes that traditional martial arts kata practice are going to save one's skin in an aggressive assault - they are delusional. While there are no doubt benefits to traditional martial arts practice, effective defensive techniques in a modern aggressive encounter are Not among them. Sorry sports fans.

Kelly

“Gassho”: is this similar to Namaste? Is there any particular etiquette to this word or is it simply a pleasant greeting?
    Don't take my word for it Kelly. However, to me, Gassho is a way of acknowledging someone and also shows a bit of respect for the other person. Even if someone is angry at you, I think it's good to Gassho. HeHe. But I confine it to the Sangha or people who practice.

Anyway that's my take at the moment.

Gassho [/quote]