Thread: Zazen?

Zazen?

I'm pretty new to the whole "Zen experience" and one thing I can't quite seem to understand is Zazen ( or the zen meditation).

How is this different from all the other meditations out there?

For the past six months I've been practicing breathing meditation ( anapanasati) without a teacher, so I guess you could say I'm still fairly new to meditation as well..lol.

Thanks for your input!

-Murah

Hi Murah,

Zazen is the complete practice of shila (ethics), samadhi (concentration) and prajna (wisdom), as such it encompasses all aspects of the Eightfold Path. 'Meditation' is actually a misnomer, since Zazen has no specific object of focus, in contrast to most techniques of meditation/contemplation.

Gassho
    Kenneth

Smile Some outside here won't understand you're idea of "sitting" means anything special

Mahakashayaka once stood up after a lecture by Gautama Buddha and handed him a flower while smiling. He understood. The point of Buddhism is beyond consciousness. The aim in Soto Zen Buddhism is the firm conviction, beyond consciousness in just sitting. (From near the end of a beginner book on Soto Zen Buddhism, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" part of "Beyond Consciousness", near the end of Part 3 "Right Understanding". The purpose of sitting down somewhere is just to calm down, collect yourself, forget everything for a while!!! And it's so basic, people don't give it a thought, like we do!! Don't tell them!!! :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Murah,

There is a whole series of talks by Jundo about Zazen that you might find helpful. Here is a link that summarizes the the content of various teachings.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-Begin-Here%21

I found these really helpful and informative when I started.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
    Hi Murah,

There is a whole series of talks by Jundo about Zazen that you might find helpful. Here is a link that summarizes the the content of various teachings.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-Begin-Here%21

I found these really helpful and informative when I started.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    Shinshi,

Congratulations, Shinshi, you just answered a question from Murah that was asked in 2007! Oh, the wonders of our Sangha!

But, Jeff, do sit with the Beginner's series that Shinshi mentions, and then we can discuss such things. It may be a little more ... and less ... than what you say.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Shinshi,

Congratulations, Shinshi, you just answered a question from Murah that was asked in 2007! Oh, the wonders of our Sangha!

But, Jeff, do sit with the Beginner's series that Shinshi mentions, and then we can discuss such things. It may be a little more ... and less ... than what you say.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Better late than never?

And, in my defense, I didn't go find a Zombie thread - Jeff F G F - responded today.

I'll look more closely at the posting dates in each posts in the future.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    Last edited by Shinshi; 01-16-2019 at 03:29 AM.
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
    Better late than never?

And, in my defense, I didn't go find a Zombie thread - Jeff F G F - responded today.

I'll look more closely at the posting dates in each posts in the future.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    No need. It is lovely. I just hope that Murah has not been refreshing his browser every few minutes for 11 years waiting for an answer.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

No need. It is lovely. I just hope that Murah has not been refreshing his browser every few minutes for 11 years waiting for an answer.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    too funny.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    E84I - JAJ