Thread: June 2-3 2023 -OUR MONTHLY 4-hr ZAZENKAI- Nyorai Zenshin -A Mini-Lesson in Dogen Jazz

June 2-3 2023 -OUR MONTHLY 4-hr ZAZENKAI- Nyorai Zenshin -A Mini-Lesson in Dogen Jazz

tsuku0.jpg

A 'Goju-no-To' Five Story Stone Pagoda (Stupa),
    similar to the one at Treeleaf Tsukuba Zendo

We'll Scat with Dogen's Jazz in
    Shobogenzo Nyorai Zenshin (The Buddha Whole Body)

(text below)

Dear All,

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London Midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...EELEAF-PODCAST

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Bion; 06-05-2023 at 04:36 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

From my book, THE ZEN MASTER'S DANCE: A Guide to Understanding Dōgen and Who You Are in the Universe ...

https://wisdomexperience.org/product...masters-dance/

A modern jazz musician like saxophonist John Coltrane, by taking the basic melodies and themes of the standard score, by bending and turning them inside out, changing the beat and going to unchartered places, squeezes amazing sounds and fresh discoveries out of the wellworn original. ... Dōgen does the same in imaginatively re-expressing ancient teachings. Sometimes with Dōgen and Coltrane it is the sound, man, and the hinted implications, more than the straight meaning. People often get tangled in Dōgen’s style because they constantly look for Dōgen’s intellectual and philosophical meaning in every phrase. They shut the book in frustration or think that Dōgen was pulling the wool over people’s eyes. However, although I believe that Dōgen was often trying to impress his listeners with a “hot” set of startling phrases, I don’t think that he was ever just putting on a show. He said what he meant, and meant what he felt. Dōgen was being true to the Buddha’s sound. With Dōgen, we have to learn to feel the music more than to intellectually understand the score.

It’s not just Coltrane or jazz: Picasso and the other modern visual artists took the concrete image of a table, a human face, or a guitar and, by pulling apart the pieces and reassembling them in unexpected ways, led us to discover new insights into ordinary table-ness, face-icity, and guitar-ism.

... Some 700 or so years before these modern folks, Dōgen had the equivalent approach, taking “standard” Mahayana Buddhist teachings, fanciful but traditional Buddhist images, and “samples” of quotes from well-known stories related to his intended topics, tearing them apart, and tossing all back together again, remixing them, in order to discover and uncover new feelings, sounds, implications, visions, and Wisdom, all in what was often pretty wild imagery to start with!

To me, Master Dōgen was “blowing his Shōbōgenzō-sax”—riffing, rockin’, rollin’, ranting, and roof-raising by expressing-folding-bending-fractalizing-unfolding-straightening-teasing-releasing the “standard tunes” of the sutras and old koans. The untrained ear can’t always make heads nor tails of the complex rhythms, flying notes, wild tempos—maybe sometimes even Dōgen himself could not grab hold of the animal he was creating—but I know that he felt what he meant, and that he knew that the creature he was fashioning had life.
    ~ ~ ~

SHOBOGENZO NYORAI-ZENSHIN (The Buddha Whole Body):

ONCE, ON VULTURE PEAK in Rajagraha, Shakyamuni Buddha said to Bhaishajyaraja Bodhisattva Mahasattva [Bodhisattva Medicine King]:

Bhaishajyaraja, wherever a sutra is expounded, read, chanted, copied,
    or kept, a seven-treasure stupa, tall, wide, and solemn, is erected, but
    do not enshrine the Buddha’s relics in it. The reason is that a stupa
    embodies the Tathagata’s entire body. Make offerings of all sorts of
    flowers, incense, jewels, canopies, banners, music, and chanting verses
    to respect, revere, and admire the stupa. When people see this stupa,
    bow, and make offerings to it, they know that they are closer to
    unsurpassable, complete enlightenment.

In this way, a sutra is expounded, read, chanted, and copied. A sutra is reality. To build a seven-treasure stupa is to build reality. The stupa’s height and breadth are the scale of reality. A stupa embodies the Tathagata’s entire body means a stupa is the Tathagata’s entire body.

Thus, expounding, reading, chanting, copying, and so on, are the Tathagata’s entire body. Make offerings of all sorts of flowers, incense, jewels, canopies, banners, music, and chanting verses to respect, revere, and admire the stupa. Or, offer heavenly flowers, heavenly incense, and heavenly canopies, and so on. These are all marks of reality. Or, offer excellent flowers, excellent incense, renowned robes, and renowned garments of the human realm. These are all marks of reality.

A stupa is erected, but do not enshrine the Buddha’s relics in it: from this we know that a sutra is the relics of the Tathagata, the entire body of the Tathagata.

There is no greater merit than seeing and hearing golden words uttered by the Buddha. Hurry up and accumulate effort and virtue. When you see people bow and make offerings to the stupa, know that they are closer to unsurpassable, complete enlightenment. When you see the tower, sincerely bow and make offerings to it. Thus, all come closer to unsurpassable, complete enlightenment. Closer to is not come close to or go close to. Unsurpassable, complete enlightenment is all closer to.

Right now, when you see those who receive, chant, elucidate, and copy a sutra, you are seeing this stupa. Rejoice that all are close to unsurpassable, complete enlightenment.

This being so, a sutra is the Tathagata’s entire body. To bow to a sutra is to bow to the Tathagata’s entire body. To encounter a sutra is to encounter the Tathagata’s entire body.

A sutra is the relics of the Tathagata. So, the relics of the Tathagata are a sutra. Even if you know that a sutra is the relics of the Tathagata, if you don’t know that the relics of the Tathagata are a sutra, it is not the buddha way.

The reality of all things right now is a sutra. Human realms, deva realms, ocean, empty space, this land, and other lands are the reality of all things, a sutra, relics. Hold, chant, elucidate, and copy the relics and unfold enlightenment. This is to follow a sutra.

There are relics of ancient buddhas, present buddhas, pratyeka-buddhas, wheel-turning kings, and lions [kings of dharma], and there are relics of wooden buddhas and painted buddhas. There are also relics of humans.

Nowadays, among buddha ancestors in China, there are those who manifest relics while they are alive, and there are many who manifest relics after being cremated. Such relics are all sutras.

Shakyamuni Buddha said to the assembly, “I practiced the bodhisattva path in my past life. The long life I have achieved by this has not been exhausted. My life span will be doubled in my future life.”

The relics of eighty-four to [approximately twenty-five bushels] are no other than the Tathagata’s timeless life. How much is the life span of one who practiced the bodhisattva path in the past life beyond the boundary of the billion worlds? This is the Tathagata’s entire body, a sutra.

Prajna Kuta Bodhisattva said [in the Lotus Sutra], “I see that Shakyamuni Buddha was engaged in difficult and painful practice through innumerable eons, piling up effort, accumulating virtue, and ceaselessly pursuing the bodhisattva path. When I observe the billion worlds, there is not even a poppy seed that is not a place where this bodhisattva gave up his life for the sake of other beings. Thus, he achieved the path of enlightenment.”

From this I know that the billion worlds are a piece of his compassionate heart, a bit of his boundless realm, the Tathagata’s entire body. It is beyond whether he did or did not give up his life.

Relics are neither before nor after the Buddha, nor do they stand shoulder to shoulder with the Buddha. Being engaged in difficult and rigorous practice through innumerable eons is the Buddha’s womb and abdomen activities, the Buddha’s skin, flesh, bones, and marrow. This is spoken of as ceaselessly. He makes further effort after attaining buddhahood. He goes further and further, giving guidance to the billion worlds. This is the activity of the Tathagata’s entire body.

Presented to the assembly of the Yoshimine Temple, Yoshida County,
    Echizen Province, on the fifteenth day, the second month, the second
    year of the Kangen Era [1244].

~ ~ ~

Please DIG this like a beatnik, mannnn ...

Last edited by Jundo; 06-01-2023 at 02:55 PM.

In honor of Dogen's Jazz, we will dance a little Jazzy Hokey Pokey ...

Last edited by Jundo; 06-01-2023 at 02:14 PM.

This will be another great Zazenkai, CLEARLY!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Ah man, super cool daddy-o. Diggin' the scene. And the look those monks sport with their fly rinks. And then there are the bells man and drums and black robes. I dig that shape in a drape. Jundo giving a talk, that cat's claws are sharp man. I mean that dude can't find a sour note, he is everything plus. And during the talk, shut your trap and just focus your audio man.

Gassho,
    Daiman
    St/LAH
    Last edited by Daiman; 06-01-2023 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiman View Post
    Ah man, super cool daddy-o. Diggin' the scene. And the look those monks sport with their fly rinks. And then there are the bells man and drums and black robes. I dig that shape in a drape. Jundo giving a talk, that cat's claws are sharp man. I mean that dude can't find a sour note, he is everything plus. And during the talk, shut your trap and just focus your audio man.

Gassho,
    Daiman
    St/LAH
    I think this "lingo" is why Jazz never really took hold in the UK lol

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Ahhhh I'm going to miss this one but in two weeks the amount of "free time" I get will be increasing. Can't wait to do these live with everyone, yet still excited I can kind of participate even after the live event is over. Very cool!

-K

Quote Originally Posted by k1982 View Post
    Ahhhh I'm going to miss this one but in two weeks the amount of "free time" I get will be increasing. Can't wait to do these live with everyone, yet still excited I can kind of participate even after the live event is over. Very cool!

-K
    You’ll get a wave across space and time!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    You’ll get a wave across space and time!

Sat Today
    Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Daiman View Post
    Daiman is da man.

Gassho, J

stlah

Hey all

Have a super smooth jazazenkai, and watch out for those slippery syncopated inverted rhythms! I'm jiving with the family today, can't get down with the cats, that's too bad man, but I'm gonna dance and riff across time and space later, catch the jazz tapes if you know what I mean? Stay cool

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Let us dedicate today to all the real musicians and creative folks ...

Here is the Cliburn Competition gold medal piece I referenced, so moving (thanks Chris) ...

Yunchan Lim 임윤찬 – RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, op. 30 – 2022 Cliburn Competition. The conductor in Marin Alsop.

I mentioned that my mother was a jazz singer in the 40s and 50s. Somebody put some of her songs up on youtube. They are from a little later, and not her hotest jazz stuff, but this is mom (stage name Joy Martell)

And here is my Uncle Robert Mandell (https://sites.google.com/site/westsidemaestro/) ...

I am the musical blacksheep of the family, for sure.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-03-2023 at 10:11 AM.

Thank you for the zazenkai. It felt heart warming. The reading from Dōgen felt very trippy (in a good way) so much that I'm considering to read Tanahashi's version just for the flowery and poetic tone.

Gasshō

ST

Bernal

Thank you Jundo, mom and bob and everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Today’s talk inspired me to spend some time with John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme”. Not that I ever really need an excuse to spend time with Trane.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Today’s talk inspired me to spend some time with John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme”. Not that I ever really need an excuse to spend time with Trane.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Your new nickname is Trane Tairin.

It's a GAS Gassho, J
    Stlah