Thread: Dogen Writings: Eihei Koroku and Eihei Shingi

Dogen Writings: Eihei Koroku and Eihei Shingi

Can anyone recommend English Translations of the Eihei Kōroku and the Eihei Shingi please?

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-29-2023 at 08:57 AM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    Can anyone recommend English Translations of the Eihei Kōroku and the Eihei Shingi please?

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    The best English translation of the Koroku is by Okumura and Leighton (there is one by Thomas Clearly, but it is loser and not as often cited):

DŌGEN’S EXTENSIVE RECORD: A Translation of the Eihei Kōroku
    https://wisdomexperience.org/product...ensive-record/

Also, those two have the most often cited Eihei Shingi ...

Dōgen's Pure Standards for the Zen Community
    https://sunypress.edu/Books/D/Dogen-...-Zen-Community

If money is a hardship, there are copies available online (with the authors "looking the other way" out of wish to have them read, as I heard from one of them.)

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

All I have for the Eihei-shingi is from “Zen is Eternal Life” by Rev. Jiyu Kennett

Sat Today lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    All I have for the Eihei-shingi is from “Zen is Eternal Life” by Rev. Jiyu Kennett

Sat Today lah
    Frankly, anything from the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives and/or Kennett Roshi will tend to be, well, beautiful but flowery, with her small flights of fancy in language, and some attempt to make things sound like the Biblical Book of Psalms, plus her adapting things to her group and her own vision of practice. Also, whole sections are missing. I would be cautious. Taigen and Okumura are more precise as translators and scholars.

On the other hand, what I often recommend to the serious Dogen student is to read two or three translations of his writings side-by-side, and extrapolate or triangulate where he might have been coming from in the original.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-29-2023 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Frankly, anything from the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives and/or Kennett Roshi will tend to be, well, beautiful but flowery, with her small flights of fancy in language, and some attempt to make things sound like the Biblical Book of Psalms, plus her adapting things to her group and her own vision of practice. I would be cautious.

On the other hand, what I often recommend to the serious Dogen student to read two or three translations of his writings side-by-side, and extrapolate or triangulate where he might have been coming from his the original.

Gassho, J

stlah
    That is good to know! Thank you! I was in the middle of investigating right now. I actually typed my reply as you were posting yours, otherwise I wouldn’t have posted, to be honest.

Sat Today lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I just looked at Rev. Kennett's version. Whole sections of the Shingi are not included. Here is an example sentence or two of her version and Okumura/Leighton of a section from the Regulations for the Study Hall (Shuryo Shingi). Quite different, and O/L is much closer to the actual Japanese:

[K] Nyojo Zenji, my former master, once said to his trainees, “Have you ever read the scripture delivered by the Buddha on His deathbed? Within this hall we must love each other and be deeply grateful for the opportunity of possessing a compassionate mind which enables us to be parents, relatives, teachers and wise priests; because of this compassionate mind our countenances will for ever show tenderness and our lives will for ever be blissful.
    [O/L] My late teacher [Tiantong Rujing] said in a lecture, "Have you ever studied the Sutra of the Last Instructions?" The whole pure assembly should abide in mindfulness that everyone in the study hall is each other's parent, sibling, relative, teacher, and good friend. With mutual affection take care of each other sympathetically, and if you harbor some idea that it is very difficult to encounter each other like this, nevertheless display an expression of harmony and accommodation.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-29-2023 at 09:30 AM.

I just looked at Rev. Kennett's version
    Thank you.

I first encountered Jiyu Kennett's version around 1978/79 in my early days with OBC. I know her translations are very much her own. Even though I now view her approach and vision - for zen in the western world - as somewhat unusual, I am deeply grateful to her, for she provided my first real introduction to Sōtō Zen.

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Seiko; 05-29-2023 at 03:21 PM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Here is an example sentence or two:
    "...everyone in the study hall is each other's parent, sibling, relative, teacher, and good friend. With mutual affection take care of each other sympathetically, and if you harbor some idea that it is very difficult to encounter each other like this, nevertheless display an expression of harmony and accommodation."

I feel that sense of family here at Treeleaf. To support and be supported.

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.