Thread: May 26th -27th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Flipping the "Inner Switch" of Zazen

May 26th -27th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Flipping the "Inner Switch" of Zazen

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi all

I'm set up for ino duty today.

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Tokan View Post
    Hi all

I'm set up for ino duty today.

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    Lovely.

I always like to hear the Heart Sutra with that Kiwi twang!

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Congratulations Tokan, I was able to join to hear your debut as Ino; well done.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Congratulations Tokan, I was able to join to hear your debut as Ino; well done.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    Thank you

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

I enjoyed your voice, Tokan!

Do Mi
    satlah

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hi all

This is probably more for the technical people - I listened to myself after zazenkai and noticed that the bells were cut short. I had "original sound" on but then noticed another setting called "echo cancellation." Do you think this is why the bells didn't linger? I'll have to try that one at home and record it to check, but figured someone here will know the answer to this one.

Thanks, gassho, Tokan (satlah)

Hi Tokan,
    I wonder if that has to do with having the Microphone recording level set to Auto, instead of setting it manually?
    Depending on the operating system, possibly both on OS sound settings and those inside of Zoom.
    That would make OS/Zoom turn down the recording volume, when it detects something louder than average (which the bells are).

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

Hi all

This is probably more for the technical people - I listened to myself after zazenkai and noticed that the bells were cut short. I had "original sound" on but then noticed another setting called "echo cancellation." Do you think this is why the bells didn't linger? I'll have to try that one at home and record it to check, but figured someone here will know the answer to this one.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hi all

There was some noice cancellation happening, so the bells were being muted as they we getting loud. On Zoom, original sound should be on, echo cancellation on as well, but the unknown is in your computer settings. If you are on Windows, especially W11 there are hidden settings for audio where there’s noise reduction happening for video calls.. That could be an issue too. It could also be that you were extremely close to the computer ..

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thanks, I'll take a look and see what I can find, maybe record myself in zoom and see what happens.

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you Jundo for this new perspective (or old perspective described in a new way). It really cleared some things up for me!

Great job Tokan!

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

Sat with you all on this one just now. Thank you

Gassho, Michael
    Satlah