Thread: [Challenging Times] - (7) - Deep Connection to the Dharma - Shunzan Jill Kaplan

[Challenging Times] - (7) - Deep Connection to the Dharma - Shunzan Jill Kaplan

Dear All, reading this online ...

I so much encourage you to read this piece, especially relevant in a digital Sangha like ours. So much wisdom here about these electronic times, it is one of my favorite reminders from the book.

We head to page 86, Deep Connection to the Dharma, with Shunzan Kaplan.

I am please to say that Shunzan will be visiting Treeleaf in about 2 weeks, on Sunday May 21st at 6am California/Pacific Time, as a Guest Teacher ... coming to us electronically by ZOOM (how ironic! ).

Her advice on not being flooded with poisons, to maintain and build human connection, and to sometimes ... for awhile ... turn off the devices, is wise and necessary advice.

My question is whether anything in this essay will change how you use media? Or are you already doing some of these things?

Also, what advise can you give us at Treeleaf, based on this essay and your experiences, in order to keep this Sangha human and nourishing? Or do we do okay?

For those who do not yet have a copy, I have made a PDF version available here for those waiting for their ordered book, or those unable to afford or obtain the book:https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...those-who-need

Feel free to jump into the readings and discussion even if you have not read other chapters.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-13-2023 at 09:38 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi everyone

Well I feel there is little to say of my own that will be of value here, Shunzan Kaplan does a fantastic job of showing us how we can ground our practice in the traditional manner without abandoning technology, just learning to live with it in a way that shows we are in control, not google, not apple, not Facebook or TikTok. I am mindful of my use of technology but, sure I play a game once in a while, I'll have a look at Facebook, read a book or the news, but I also set my phone to lock itself at 11pm. I make more of an effort to leave my phone in the bedroom when I'm in the lounge with the kids; simple things but you have to be honest with yourself about this, how much of an impact does device use have on you and your family? I often wonder about the amount of information we have at our fingertips too. Even in Buddhist terms, I can read almost anything I like, even more if I could read Japanese and Chinese! When is enough, enough? I like how Shunzan brings us back to the eightfold path, the core Buddhist teachings, because I do that too - reminding myself why I do this practice and not any of the multiplicity of other practices out there - it is the core teachings for me that connect me to this life, unadulterated by technology, the raw experience of being human and being 'me.'

In terms of this sangha, I think we do a good job of using the technology to create and maintain sangha. I do think we sometimes have an issue of being misunderstood in our postings and I think we would all do well to remember that we cannot always communicate our true thoughts clearly. You have to do your best but the reader also has to treat your post with kindness and generosity, gentle correction where necessary, but the habit of 'being right' in a forum discussion/email thread is becoming quite ingrained and is something we need to be mindful of here, especially as we are supposed to be 'mindful' people by practice if not by nature!

This is just my brief reflection, but I could see myself reading this essay on a regular basis as an ongoing reminder to stay sharp!

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    Last edited by Tokan; 05-13-2023 at 10:35 AM.
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

I can read almost anything I like, even more if I could read Japanese and Chinese!
    The AI will let you do that now, almost native level. It is really putting pressure on Japanese translators like me.

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    The AI will let you do that now, almost native level. It is really putting pressure on Japanese translators like me.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Good to know but then I recall Stephen Batchelor, who many will know translated Tibetan texts into English, describing what he admired in a translator, getting at the 'art' of communicating the intended message. Will the AI be able to do that? That is probably a degree of detail many might not be concerned with. I hadn't even considered it could be putting you out of work, to be fair the counselling questions I have run through ChatGPT could probably do my job almost as well as me!

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Tokan View Post
    Hi everyone

Well I feel there is little to say of my own that will be of value here, Shunzan Kaplan does a fantastic job of showing us how we can ground our practice in the traditional manner without abandoning technology, just learning to live with it in a way that shows we are in control, not google, not apple, not Facebook or TikTok. I am mindful of my use of technology but, sure I play a game once in a while, I'll have a look at Facebook, read a book or the news, but I also set my phone to lock itself at 11pm. I make more of an effort to leave my phone in the bedroom when I'm in the lounge with the kids; simple things but you have to be honest with yourself about this, how much of an impact does device use have on you and your family? I often wonder about the amount of information we have at our fingertips too. Even in Buddhist terms, I can read almost anything I like, even more if I could read Japanese and Chinese! When is enough, enough? I like how Shunzan brings us back to the eightfold path, the core Buddhist teachings, because I do that too - reminding myself why I do this practice and not any of the multiplicity of other practices out there - it is the core teachings for me that connect me to this life, unadulterated by technology, the raw experience of being human and being 'me.'

In terms of this sangha, I think we do a good job of using the technology to create and maintain sangha. I do think we sometimes have an issue of being misunderstood in our postings and I think we would all do well to remember that we cannot always communicate our true thoughts clearly. You have to do your best but the reader also has to treat your post with kindness and generosity, gentle correction where necessary, but the habit of 'being right' in a forum discussion/email thread is becoming quite ingrained and is something we need to be mindful of here, especially as we are supposed to be 'mindful' people by practice if not by nature!

This is just my brief reflection, but I could see myself reading this essay on a regular basis as an ongoing reminder to stay sharp!

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

Gassho, Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

This is a great essay that touches on one of my greatest weaknesses…. Using technology but not over using it. I admittedly have a bit of a technology and in particular internet addiction. It doesn’t help that my job is in technology which requires me to be online for my work day and as a knowledge worker requires that I continually research and learn.

Anyways…. There are many great reminders in the article and I have used this as motivation to turn off a number of alerts and notifications.

I really liked this
    The Buddha saw how humans suffer through clinging and aversion, and that the way to end this suffering is to train the mind in a different direction, to see greed, hate, and delusion as clearly as we can. Our practice is to investigate over and over how we are motivated by these misunderstandings of the true self, reality as it truly is.
    I will be revisiting this essay often.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

This is a fantastic essay, and some real food for thought. I know I spend too much time online (and it doesn't help my mental health!) Being mindful of my use of technology will be my aspiration.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly