Thread: Essential points of practice for zen students

Essential points of practice for zen students

All,

I'm trying to put together a short list of most important points that zen student should be aware of. Please add / correct. I will modify this list based on your feedback

- Zazen (just sitting letting go of thought, radical acceptance, practice-realization (no gaining), sitting in interconnectedness, each moment of sit is whole); Twice daily and sesshins whenever possible
    - Daily life practice (During the day if you notice you are caught up in thought, let go and come back to just doing what you are doing)
    - Working with a teacher (Dokusans)
    - Practicing with a sangha (group sits, interactions)
    - Deep study of Dogen
    - Living by vow rather than being pulled by karma (Precepts, Watching out for our karmic patterns, Living compassionately, Welcome everything)
    - Self-inquiry, Contemplation (The main thing to do is to keep letting go of thought as "Daily life practice", but also sometimes we dedicate time to look deeply into our experience, the teachings etc)

The intent behind all of the above is to just practice for the sake of practice. No gaining. If any, as an offering to all beings.

Gassho,
    Sam
    STLah
    Last edited by shikantazen; 05-11-2023 at 05:19 AM.

I would say all lovely ...

- Twice daily Zazen is good, especially with the feeling you state (just sitting, no gaining, radical acceptance too), but remember that Zazen is never a matter of long and short, and is beyond measure. A moment of Zazen, an hour of Zazen, 10,000 years of Zazen is all timeless ... and even 100,000 universes of Zazen is never a matter of measures and quantity. That said, we usually sit a certain time each day simply to embody that this sitting is beyond time. Remembering and embodying this "timeless no measure" often takes a little time in our busy day, which is why we might sit for minutes and minutes, not just a moment, daily. We sit sometimes for hours, all to embody that there is nothing to attain ... thus we sit.

- Dogen, Sutras and Buddhist Text ... yes, some study is good before and after our time on the cushion, for it offers direction to our path. However, remember that not all Sutras and Buddhist Texts are alike. There are many good ways to cook noodles, but I would not mix my spaghetti carbonara with Chinese Chop Suey or Thai Chicken Ga, although all delicious and filling.

The rest sounds lovely.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-10-2023 at 06:31 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Your list makes a lot of sense to me Could maybe add ‘reflection/ contemplation’?

Gassho, Michael
    Satlah

Amazing, thank you for sharing, this is very well organised.
    I would also said as solenziz suggest reflection - lead a journal. And notes from the read books
    to keep one on the track.

Gassho, Erinis
    Sat today

It is a nice and simple list. It is easy to get overwhelmed or add too much, but what you've put together is nice.

stlah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I think it is difficult to produce a definitive list as a handbook for a good life. Here will always be that essential illusive point that occurs to us after it's too late - because we already sent the list to the print shop. But making such a list is never a bad thing - it may be a very useful practice as a reminder, a reflection on what we/you/I find important.

We do 1000 things everyday, make 1000 decisions and choices, make 1000 mistakes, try to make amends 1000 times. This is human life.

Precepts and Zazen are everything.

Sorry for running long.

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Seiko; 05-10-2023 at 05:44 PM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Hello Sam,

I see something missing from your question, which is what it is that wish to happen because you are doing these things. What does each item you list contribute to your larger picture of where all of this is going? For example, you might say something like:

I'm trying to put together a short list of most important points that I, as a Zen student, should be aware of, so that I may live a contented life by the Bodhisattva Vows, striving to save all sentient beings, learning the Dharma, breaking free of delusion, and finding enlightenment. Of course, your statement might be completely different.

Then you can consider the parts of your list with that in mind, for example:

- Twice daily Zazen (just sitting, no gaining, practice-realization, sitting with everything) because zazen is the fullfilment of the Buddha Way, with nothing else needed.
    - Daily life practice (Letting go of thought during the day as much as possible, insta-zazens) Maybe be a little more specific about what this means? because by being a consistent example of living a Bodhisattva's life, I help those around me.
    - Working with a teacher (Dokusans) because under a teacher's guidance I can truly find the path from delusion.
    - Practicing with a sangha (group sits, interactions) because by taking refuge in the Sangha I build community, lift up others, and find a place of welcoming peace for my practice.
    - Deep study of Dogen, Sutras & buddhist texts because taking refuge in the Dharma is the path to awareness.
    - Living by vow rather than being pulled by karma (Precepts, Watching out for our karmic patterns, Living compassionately, Welcome everything) because taking refuge in the Buddha helps me find hope and the knowledge that my life is of worth.

I will add two things. I think a couple of your items might be helped by being more specific; that is, what exactly do you mean by deep study of Dogen.... For example, you might say something like I will read no less than one page per day of one of a practice-related text. Tied to this, I suggest picking a very limited list of specific practices that you consider core to you. The benefits you derive from, say, committing to 20 minutes zazen at 07:00 and reading one page per day before 08:00 will help you do other things like living by the Precepts, attending online sits, and the like. They will be uplifting to you, even if you see them as "not much." But if you make a list of things to include each day, they can become a burdensome checklist, or, when you are unable to always keep them, they will drag you down. Set yourself up for success.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    遜道念芸 Sondō Nengei (he/him)

Please excuse any indication that I am trying to teach anything. I am a priest in training and have no qualifications or credentials to teach Zen practice or the Dharma.

Building on what Nengei wrote, some wise teachers and unsui told me to relax, and enjoy this practice. It doesn't come naturally to me, but I needed to hear it.

Gassho,
    Shujin

-sat today-

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Kyoudou Shujin 教道 守仁

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    All,

I'm trying to put together a short list of most important points that zen student should be aware of. Please add / correct. I will modify this list based on your feedback

- Twice daily Zazen (just sitting, no gaining, practice-realization, sitting with everything)
    - Daily life practice (Letting go of thought during the day as much as possible, insta-zazens)
    - Working with a teacher (Dokusans)
    - Practicing with a sangha (group sits, interactions)
    - Deep study of Dogen, Sutras & buddhist texts
    - Living by vow rather than being pulled by karma (Precepts, Watching out for our karmic patterns, Living compassionately, Welcome everything)

Gassho,
    Sam
    STLah

Hi Sam

Zen practice has so many dimensions but I like the list you have put together, it's cosy and clear, and is something that beginner and old-hand should remember daily. The only thing I would like to add is that these practices should be an expression of the dharma through you, not you expressing the dharma. This can happen spontaneously but to have it more present in daily life requires the practice you have detailed. This is where the "I" has been dropped, interconnectedness realised. My view is that these practices are the destination, for truly expressed, there is nowhere else to go. Lastly, it is also important that your zen practice and worldly life are one (how can they be two?), the forming of congruence between your inner life and outward expression. That is how I reduce greed, anger and ignorance as influences in my life. Just my thoughts, great point Sam.

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Thanks all, Based on your feedback I have modified the list but still trying to keep it short

Gassho,
    Sam
    STLah

I would, if you allow me, just add a small point which you might consider. More than just returning to the present moment, I’d focus on developing the habit of acknowledging how I interact with it, or wit the “now”. What I mean is that we need to be vigilant about discrepancies between what we say we practice and what we actually do and how we respond to situations arising. If I am still unable to navigate life, even though my mouth claims the “zenniest” of things, I need to stop and see what I can do to bridge that gap, though I will never fully be able to.

Sorry for running a tiny bit long and also for expressing silly personal opinions like this

Sat
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin View Post
    Building on what Nengei wrote, some wise teachers and unsui told me to relax, and enjoy this practice. It doesn't come naturally to me, but I needed to hear it.

Gassho,
    Shujin

-sat today-

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Gassho, Michael
    Satlah