Thread: [Ecodharma] Active Hope Chapter 7

[Ecodharma] Active Hope Chapter 7

Hi folks. Firstly thank you for continuing to read along with us here at Ecodharma. I am glad for all of you who contribute to the discussions.

We are at chapter 7 of our book Active Hope - A Richer Experience of Community. Although it is 17 pages long I feel that the entire chapter flows together nicely so hopefully no one minds if we take this chapter all at once.

So a little confession. So far I've been a little underwhelmed by the book. After we read David Loy's book "Ecodharma" I think we all felt that we needed to read something a little more positive and uplifting. The title and subtitle looked promising "Active Hope: How to Face the Mess We're in with Unexpected Resilience and Creative Power".

What I've realized as I read this chapter is that my expectations were misplaced. I have recently read and shared an article here https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-to-extinction that really shook me. I've been doing many things such as cutting down on my meat consumption, reducing my waste and garbage, composting, driving less, beefing up the energy efficiency of my house, signing petitions, voting for green leaning politicians. But what I also realized is that I am doing all of these things but holding on to a Business as Usual mindset.

I think that is where my misplaced expectations with this book came from too. I think I was hoping that in this book there was a formula for solving our ecological crisis and yet somehow keeping things status quo.

This chapter "A Richer Experience of Community" caught me. Although I've read many times that we humans very much need to make a paradigm shift in our relationship with the Earth, it wasn't clear to me what that looked like. Here in this chapter the light went on for me. This book isn't about solving the ecological crisis. This book is about what that paradigm shift could look like. It isn't a formula for more Business as Usual. It really is about the steps we need to make for The Great Turning.

This chapter is all about community. Firstly they talk about the communities we once had. Then they talk about the communities we've lost as we humans become increasingly isolated and independent of each other. They talk about how communities once again come together in times of crisis, such as the hurricane in Halifax, or more recently our COVID19 pandemic.

For the authors, rebuilding our sense of community, locally, globally, and with all of life on Earth, is one of the antidotes to our ecological crisis. At least in part through a greater sense of community we can see a way past our hyper-commercialized, hyper-individualized mindset.

My questions to you:

1. Do you agree that rebuilding a sense of community is one way towards the Great Turning?
    2. Do you find yourself struggling with the paradigm shift from BAU to the Great Turning?
    3. What do you think of the book so far?

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you, Tairin, and for sharing your honest appraisal of the book so far. Like you, I have noted in myself an attachment to business as usual as it is a situation I have done well out of compared to most people in the world, and I enjoy being able to order dharma books online and having food delivered to my door. Even though I love the idea of the Great Turning, I understand that most change comes with turbulence and upheaval and I have anxieties about what that would look like for me and my communities. The endpoint of greater community and living more in balance is one that I very much wish to see, but getting there may be hard.

So...

1. Yes. This is the only way. The western model of individualism leads to the preservation of power in the hands of the few. Community involves everyone and a sharing of control of power. That sharing of power is often harder, but is the only way to shift the balance and allow people to determine their shared future. Alone we can do little, together we can move mountains.

2. Yes, and I express that above.

3. I do like this book a lot and much prefer it to Ecodharma, although I am still glad we read that. I was already invested in Joanna Macy and her work, from reading some of her other books, and I really like the way she clearly sets out how things are, and a road map for change.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

I have been gone for awhile to deal with personal issues that have consumed my time and caused my practice to stumble. I use this thread to say I am returning. I am glad this group has continued along and I have much to catch up on. Though I quickly reviewed the Chapters before now and your thoughts I plan to find a few hours and revisit with more focus.

Briefly, regarding this Chapter I see the importance of embracing the community paradigm discussed. However I still am perplexed as to the way to make it happen. We live in such a diverse world with billions of others. Many different perspectives. I believe that fact (the many of us) is a challenge in building community. It is often challenging to get a room full of people to agree on an alternative. But we must try.

The book is interesting and I admire the wisdom shared.

Doshin
    St
    Last edited by Doshin; 05-25-2023 at 02:19 PM.

Welcome back Doshin. We’ve missed you.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

I have been catching up with the Sangha posts and see that two of our active members of our book discussion may not participate in the future. I am saddened by this.

Would those still here like to continue? If so, is there a schedule of who is taking the next Chapter(s)? Please share your thoughts.

Doshin

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Welcome back Doshin. We’ve missed you.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Thank you Tairin

Doshin

Hi Doshin

Naiko and I discussed this a few days ago and we decided to continue on. She is taking Chapter 8. After that if you’d like to take chapter 9 and then the three of us continue the rotation then that should work out. As you can see the discussion has actually had pretty low participation so it likely will just be the three of us with perhaps an extra voice here and there.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    I have been catching up with the Sangha posts and see that two of our active members of our book discussion may not participate in the future. I am saddened by this.

Would those still here like to continue? If so, is there a schedule of who is taking the next Chapter(s)? Please share your thoughts.

Doshin

Tairin that sounds good. I will take on Chapter 9.

Though few participate others view.

Doshin
    St

Hi Guys,

I think that Kokuu must have meant to finish these. Let me check with him. He is off on his pilgrimage, but not totally vanished I think.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Tairin. I think community may be the most important factor of all. Much of my recent reading points to the influence we have on those in our family and social circles. I appreciate the difficulty of building and maintaining community after experience the collapse of my various circles during and after Covid. But we must try.

I think BAU is both a feature and a bug of humanity; we crave stability and that is both good and bad. I am trying to find ways of seeing BAU, the Great Unraveling and the Great Turning as all happening at once.

I like the book, but I’m aware that it grew out of a workshop and I wonder about experiencing this information in that form.

Doshin, it is nice to see you back on the forum.

Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

Hi all

Jundo suggested that I should finish this book discussion with you and I think that is a good idea, if it is okay with everyone.

Thank you for posting the next chapter, Naiko!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi all

Jundo suggested that I should finish this book discussion with you and I think that is a good idea, if it is okay with everyone.

Thank you for posting the next chapter, Naiko!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Of course my friend.

Doshin

That is very welcome news, Kokuu.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

That’s great news Kokuu!

Tairin
    Sat today and lah