Thread: Tosho-ji

Tosho-ji

A lovely television feature on Tosho-ji Shuritsu Senmon Sodo, the Sotoshu International Training Monastery in Okayama Prefecture, Japan ...

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks Jundo

Tokan (satlah)
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Gassho, Kotei.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

STLAH
    Gassho!
    護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!

On

Sat today

Gassho sat today.
    Mokuso

paulashby
    Thank you for this deep breath of quiet vastness amid activity. I am guessing the New Year's Blessing
    event was turning a sutra into a prayer flag to send good wishes? I have not experienced that in zen temples
    in the U.S.

Gassho,peace, Paul sat lah

Thank you for sharing

Gassho, Michael
    Satlah

Gassho, Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by paulashby View Post
    Thank you for this deep breath of quiet vastness amid activity. I am guessing the New Year's Blessing
    event was turning a sutra into a prayer flag to send good wishes? I have not experienced that in zen temples
    in the U.S.

Gassho,peace, Paul sat lah
    This is "Tendoku" (転読, literally, "revolving reading") of the Dai Hannya, the 600-fascicle Large Prajña Paramita Sutra, and is done for many ceremonies including the Choka Morning Service at Eiheiji and Sojiji Head Temples in Japan. It would not be possible to read the entirety during a single ceremony. So, Tendoku ritual reading involves shouting the title and volume number of the sutra, then quickly flipping through the sutra book itself, which is much like the Tibetan practice of spinning a "prayer wheel" wherein each flip of the book and saying of the volume name equals in Karmic merit a reading of the whole Sutra. Several sects of Buddhism do so in Japan, not just the Zen folks.

Here is a video of Tendoku during a Morning Service at Sojiji. Notice the lovely fancy-footwork ballet of the books being returned (the same happens as they are first brought out) at the 2:10 mark.

Here is also a nice video, from the 20 second mark, of some young monks rehearsing that footwork ballet ...

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-28-2023 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks Jundo, If I didn't have responsibilities I'd be there like a shot. Is it just me or is the narrators Japanese particularly hard to understand? Perhaps it was just the vocabulary used, or perhaps my ear tuning in to it more as I listened?

Sattday

Dan
    Last edited by Myojin; 04-28-2023 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan65 View Post
    Thanks Jundo, If I didn't have responsibilities I'd be there like a shot. Is it just me or is the narrators Japanese particularly hard to understand?

Sattday

Dan
    Oh, when he is reading the quotes from Master Dogen at various parts, such as the very start and end, he is speaking 13th Century classical Japanese. That's probably the reason that it is a bit tricky.

There are many things to experience and much to realize in a place like Tosho-ji.

But there are also many things to experience, and the very same realization to have, right where you are.

Master Dogen said that too.

Why leave behind the seat that exists in your home and go aimlessly off to the dusty realms of other lands? If you make one misstep you go astray from the way directly before you.

Gassho, J

stlah

After watching the Toshoji video, I came across this short film. It doesn't cover anything new, but I feel that it fits well with our style of practice.

Gassho,
    Shujin

-sat today-

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin View Post
    After watching the Toshoji video, I came across this short film. It doesn't cover anything new, but I feel that it fits well with our style of practice.
    Oh, the fellow in the video, Rev. Scott, has been a visitor to Treeleaf once or twice, and I at there place in the next prefecture. That's Scott boogeying to the Heart Sutra at the start ...

Gassho, J

stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Oh, the fellow in the video, Rev. Scott, has been a visitor to Treeleaf once or twice, and I at there place in the next prefecture. That's Scott boogeying to the Heart Sutra at the start ...

Gassho, J

stlah
    I had no idea; love that

I have seen a lot of ceremonies online but never been to a live 'bells and smells' - yet.

Gassho

MichaelW

sat

Quote Originally Posted by michaelw View Post
    I have seen a lot of ceremonies online but never been to a live 'bells and smells' - yet.

Gassho

MichaelW

sat
    Michael -
    This reminds me. A long time ago I lived in Throssel Hole for a little while - an OBC monastery near Carrshield, Northumberland (over 6 hours drive from Devon). The same ritual was repeated each day - morning service (including three sutras and the whole ancestral line), some quite long mealtime chants, evening service, vespers. I became familiar with sutras that we recited every day, but that didn't mean I understood them all.

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Seiko; 04-30-2023 at 12:31 AM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

stlah
    When i see things like this i just know i have found the right sangha. Easily!

Gassho, Michael
    (did not yet sit today, but had to comment this one immediately)

Saturday night at the zendo.
    Get down with your non-self.

Gassho
    MichaelW

sat