Thread: [Ecodharma) ACTVE HOPE Chapter Six (part one)

[Ecodharma) ACTVE HOPE Chapter Six (part one)

This section covers 'A Different Kind of Power' p101-108

The chapter begins by referring to a UK mental health study which found that feeling powerless was the most common response to global issues. I am not surprised as that is something I often feel myself when faced with so many environmental and human catastrophes at the present time. Many people feel that large changes, of the kind needed to solve these global issues, is only possible by political leaders and large corporations, who are seen as holding most of the power.

Joanna looks at power as ‘power over’, the kind of power that tends to lead to feelings of powerlessness, power being viewed as a commodity, power generating conflict and mental rigidity, and power that is viewed with suspicion.

She suggests collaborative power (or ‘power with’) as an alternative to ‘power over’ in which power is held by the select few at the top of the pyramid, and instead is held collaboratively among all of us. Nelson Mandela is used as an example as someone who used dialogue to include people and allow them to feel part of decision making and their country’s future. Most of our current democratic systems are not sufficient to do that for most people.

‘Power with’ works on the basis of synergy, and looking to find solutions that allow both sides to win. It also works on the basis of allying together to produce change from the bottom-up rather than top-down, through organisation and co-operative.

One book I have long liked in this area is Hope in the Dark by Rebecca Solnit who has given talks at Upaya among other places, and is definitely Zen adjacent if not a full student of Zen. She points out that many cultural shifts take place at a seemingly pivotal moment that is the drop of water that breaks the dam or straw that breaks the camel’s back. But, for that pivotal moment, such as Rosa Park’s taking the seat on the bus, to happen, there first has to be the momentum behind it. So, even if we think we are not seeing the effects of our campaigning and working together, she argues that it is important to build that momentum, and have those conversations, so that the drive is there when the time is right.

Questions for this week:

Does the idea of ‘power with’ help you to feel any less powerless?

How can we use collaborative power to create change?

How do you personally use collaborative power? Are there more ways you might do this in the future?

Wishing you all a good week!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you Kokuu

They used the phrase “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts”. I think we’ve all been a part of something, some time, or some place where we’ve experienced that, if only for a short time. I certainly have. I’ve been on teams where we truly complemented each other. My weaknesses were not weaknesses when there were others on the team who had that strength and vice versa. By building trust we were able to accomplish so much more together than we might have working independently.

Somewhat building off of my previous answer…. I think we just have to start trying to create the change, even if the outcome is unclear. I may get stuck or feel unable to make change for myself but as part of a greater team we can help give each other strength and courage to press forward.

How do you personally use collaborative power? Are there more ways you might do this in the future?

This question feels a little contradictory. If it is truly collaborative power then there is no “I” to use it. But if I understand the question, again it comes down to gaining strength from the group and knowing I am not in this alone.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you, Kokuu. I’m interested to see where this chapter leads. I agree that feeling powerless is all too familiar. We are so immersed in ‘power over’ structures, it’s often difficult to see beyond them. I feel like this has been slowly changing though, greatly aided by the internet. I especially took note of the authors points about seeing the bigger picture and seeing the link between small steps and big changes. I may feel deflated and powerless reading news stories, but when I connect with others that feeling changes. My recent experiences with Elders Climate Action have shown me much more progress is happening in my state than I realized. And I am encouraged by recent social research about how individual actions change social norms. I have linked to a recent ECA call on this topic with Marianne Krasny of the Cornell University Civic Ecology Lab.

Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

Thank you for the link, Naiko. I look forward to watching that. Elders Climate Action sounds like a great organisation to be part of.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

paulashby
    Too often power is defined in political science terms involving domination,
    control, forced actions and laws. The use of power with... serves to connect this
    generation X guy with the youth and children whose future is at stake. I enjoy
    doing environmental projects with those from 5 to 95. Power with is inviting
    everyone into the boat as the tides continue to rise. Power with is compassion
    for the future gererations who will endure pain and struggle from the choices
    made by power over others corporations that dominate modern political systems.
    Power with awakens us to this fragile gift of life.

Gassho, peace, Paul Ashby sat lah

Too often power is defined in political science terms involving domination,
    control, forced actions and laws. The use of power with... serves to connect this
    generation X guy with the youth and children whose future is at stake. I enjoy
    doing environmental projects with those from 5 to 95. Power with is inviting
    everyone into the boat as the tides continue to rise. Power with is compassion
    for the future gererations who will endure pain and struggle from the choices
    made by power over others corporations that dominate modern political systems.
    Power with awakens us to this fragile gift of life.

Thanks for leading this reading, Kokuu.

It does and it has for a while.

I think we tend to only think of 'power over' from above and have no chance but our ability to organise to drive change can be very effective. In the past unions have been a good example of this, and in the UK we are seeing it again with lawyers, doctors, nurses, train drivers etc going on strike and bringing the government to the negotiating table.

As you mention, Rebecca Solnit's work shows how if we build a groundswell of support we can drive change from the grassroots level. I think we've seen attempts at this with Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion although, having been involved with the latter a few years back, I think they are realising that they are not bringing most of the population with them by disrupting normal people so are switching tactic to targeting government and corporations.

I am part of a local residents association that got together to retake a bit of power from the established political parties and focus on local issues. We now have all but one of the seats on the local town council, where I also sit as a councillor. We have also taken all our town's allocation of seats at the district council.

Personally I've been using my position to look at environmental issues and we've already purchased an electric van for our maintenance workers, are costing solar panels for the council offices, and last week three of us planted the first 50 of a long term tree planting scheme. The first batch was to re-establish a wooded area in the town and in the autumn we're looking at another 200 to help shore up some river banks that have been eroded.

I'm also part of a local allotment gardens which is run by volunteers to give local people a plot of land to grow fruit, vegetables, and other plants on for a minimal annual fee (I pay £15 per year). I'm quite keen on some of the work of the late Colin Ward who advocated the replacement of top down power structures through bottom up social organisation and cites allotments as an example of this.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah