Thread: Instructions for the Cook

Instructions for the Cook

I was just wondering why this isn’t called, in Japanese, the Tenzogenzo…

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    流文

I know nothing.

I want to say cause 教訓( kyōkun ) has the shared meaning of both lesson and precept, or moral teaching, where 教 is faith, doctrine or teaching and 訓 is instruction or explanation. So it goes beyond just lesson in an academic sense. The genzō in Shohogenzo comes from Daihui’s 正法眼藏 or Zhengfa Yanzang (read in Japanese as Shobogenzo) . Also, probably Dōgen just wanted to use that word in particular Jundo will correct me if I am wrong here . ( Thanks Ryumon for the motivation to go do some digging on the topic. Gassho )

Sorry for running a bit long

Sat today
    Last edited by Bion; 02-18-2023 at 09:43 PM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Just use whatever vegetables you have, without disparaging their quality.

gassho
    ds sat today
    Visiting priest: use salt

I was just wondering why this isn’t called, in Japanese, the Tenzogenzo…
    A Goodish Book for a Buddhist Cook...

Gassho
    Kokuu

Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    Just use whatever vegetables you have, without disparaging their quality.

gassho
    ds sat today

The ingredients of my life. Some days a culinary delight. Other days harder to swallow.

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    I want to say cause 教訓( kyōkun ) has the shared meaning of both lesson and precept, or moral teaching, where 教 is faith, doctrine or teaching and 訓 is instruction or explanation. So it goes beyond just lesson in an academic sense. The genzō in Shohogenzo comes from Daihui’s 正法眼藏 or Zhengfa Yanzang (read in Japanese as Shobogenzo) . Also, probably Dōgen just wanted to use that word in particular Jundo will correct me if I am wrong here . ( Thanks Ryumon for the motivation to go do some digging on the topic. Gassho )

Sorry for running a bit long

Sat today
    It was meant to be a joke… :-)

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    It was meant to be a joke… :-)

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    Sheesh! I OBVIOUSLY did not get that memo it flew ENTIRELY over my head!

sat
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

well I liked your answer Bion hahaha

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    well I liked your answer Bion hahaha

gassho

risho
    -stlah
    I will reply to this when I’m done marinating in my embarrassment

Sat Today
    Bion

Seiko

gassho
    ds sat
    Visiting priest: use salt

Frankly, I think that we have to go in the other direction, time is money, and we have busy working Zen folks around here. So,

DOGEN-ON-THE-GO! TENZO-IN-TEN!

101 FAST Zen Meals for the Microwave, in 10 minutes or less!

dlt con3.jpeg

Set the timer, sit Zazen while it cooks, kill two cats with one stone.

dlt con1.jpeg

(oh, gee, somebody already stole my idea!)

dlt con2.jpeg

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

But also small footnote ...

... The genzō in Shohogenzo comes from Daihui’s 正法眼藏 or Zhengfa Yanzang (read in Japanese as Shobogenzo) ...
    That is not so. Where did you pick that up bit of information?

The expression "Shobogenzo" (something like "True Dharma Eye Storehouse/Treasury") was a common saying in Zen centuries before either Dogen or Dahui. It is what was traditionally quoted as Buddha's words when Buddha held up the flower and Mahakasyapa smiles in the famous Koan. It refers to the essence of the Buddha's realization and teaching:

I possess the Treasury of the Correct Dharma Eye , the wonderful heart-mind of Nirvana, the formless true form, the subtle Dharma gate, not established by written words, transmitted separately outside the teaching. I hand it over and entrust these encouraging words to Kashyapa.

Both Dahui and Dogen happened to take the reference as titles for some of their writings, but there is little chance that Dogen would have based his title selection on anything that Dahui wrote, assuming that Dogen even knew the work.

Now ... time for lunch.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-19-2023 at 01:07 AM.

No no.. I meant the usage of the same kanji for the titles of both Dahui’s collection of Koans and Dogen’s. Carl Bielefeldt suggests Dogen might have picked up the title from him.

Enjoy lunch!!

Sat today
    Bion

No no.. I meant the usage of the same kanji for the titles of both Dahui’s collection of Koans and Dogen’s. Carl Bielefeldt suggests Dogen might have picked up the title from him.

Enjoy lunch!!

Sat today
    Yes, that suggestion ... and a couple of other things that Carl Bielefeldt says in his "Dogen's Manuals of Zen Meditation" ... are "half-baked." . There, Bielefeldt writes:

The practice of making [Koan] collections was, of course, a common one among Sung Ch'an authors, who used them as an opportunity to offer their own interpretations and appreciations of the wisdom of the elders. Indeed the fact that Dogen styled his effort "Shobo genzo" suggests that he had as his model a similar compilation of the same title by the most famous, of Sung masters, Ta-hui Tsung-kao.
    It is surprising that the good doctor does not mention that the term comes centuries before from the Flower Sermon.

Dr. Bielefe-it-or-not, who is something of a revisionist historian, was trying to "stir things up" with some of his comments in that book, and I find them lacking in ingredients sometimes.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-19-2023 at 01:45 AM.

Ah! Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. That man almost made me a liar

Sat Today
    Bion

Ah! Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. That man almost made me a liar

Sat Today
    No, never a liar. His point was simply not fully digested.

Gassho, J

stlah

Tenzogenzo is catchy. Maybe if Dōgen had chosen that name it would have been a New York Times bestseller

“A Goodish Book for a Buddhist Cook...” is the subtitle.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I’ll never be able to think of it as anything but tenzogenzo now.
    Gassho
    st

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post

“A Goodish Book for a Buddhist Cook...” is the subtitle.

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Frankly, I think that we have to go in the other direction, time is money, and we have busy working Zen folks around here. So,

DOGEN-ON-THE-GO! TENZO-IN-TEN!

101 FAST Zen Meals for the Microwave, in 10 minutes or less!

dlt con3.jpeg

Set the timer, sit Zazen while it cooks, kill two cats with one stone.

dlt con1.jpeg

(oh, gee, somebody already stole my idea!)

dlt con2.jpeg

Gassho, J

stlah
    I had no idea one could use granite countertops as a zabuton. Seems I've been missing out on all the comfort ^_^

Gassho,
    Shujin

sat today

Forgive me if this comment is redundant, but, if you haven't read it , Roshi Bernie Glassman's commentary, "Instructions for the Cook," is a great read.

Sat this morning.
    Gassho!
    護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!