Thread: February 17th-18th, 2023 - Our SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" ZAZENKAI!

February 17th-18th, 2023 - Our SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" ZAZENKAI!

WELCOME to our Memorial & Celebration of NEHAN-E, (Pari-Nirvana) the traditional day to mark the historical Buddha's death and passing from this visible world. This is also a day for each of us to remember in our homes those family and friends who have gone before.

As well, our Sangha particularly recalls Nishijima Gudo Wafu (who passed on January 28th, 2014) and Rempo Niwa Zenji (who passed September 7th, 1993). I will also be remembering three teachers who were mentors in Japan and America, and great influences on Treeleaf, Jiho Sargent Roshi, Azuma Ikuo Roshi and Doshin Cantor Roshi.

During this Zazenkai, we will commence with SPECIAL CHANTS & a CEREMONY to recall our parents, grand-parents, siblings, our relatives near and distant, all our ancestors reaching back through the generations, and our dear friends and other cherished ones who have passed.

We have also added a special remembrance for children, born or unborn, now departed, as "we open our hearts to grief, to the bonds which will always remain, and proclaim our vow to care for the children of this world today."

Please sit with us at 10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (SHARIRAIMON in ENGLISH / HEART SUTRA in JAPANESE) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

For this special Zazenkai, a statue of the reclining ‘Buddha Entering Parinirvana’, a little Jizo Bodhisattva as Protector of Children, and a Plaque dedicated to all past Generations of Zen Ancestors, will be given special prominence

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-17-2023 at 01:59 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Ceremony today is below.

Information on the "At Home" remembrance, which you may wish to undertake with your own family, is at this link:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-Zazenkai-2023

You can print out the following if you will join in reciting for this Zazenkai:

======================================

Parinirvana Ceremony
    (at Nehan-e Zazenkai)

A statue of the reclining ‘Buddha Entering Parinirvana’, a little Jizo Bodhisattva as Protector of Children, and a Plaque dedicated to all past Generations of Zen Ancestors, will be given special prominence

The Ceremony will begin as usual, with Three Full Prostrations or Deep Bows, then ...

- Shariraimon, in English recited 1x.

- Hannya Shingyo (Heart Sutra) will be recited in Japanese.

- Followed by the Ino reading a special Dedication for Parinirvana

Ino:

“The Verse of Homage to Buddha's Relics, Shariraimon”

All:

With/ whole/heart/ed/ gra/ti/tude/ we/ bow/
    to/ the/ re/lics/ still/ pre/sent of/ the/ True/ Bo/dy/ [*] of/ the/ Ta/tha/ga/ta/ Sha/kya/mu/ni,/
    who/ is/ ful/ly/ en/dowed/ with/ my/ri/ad/ vir/tues;/
    to/ the/ Dhar/ma/ Bo/dy/ which/ is/ Truth/ it/self;/
    and/ to/ the/ whole/ u/ni/verse/ which/ is/ his/ Stu/pa./
    With/ deep/ res/pect/ we/ ve/ner/ate/ the/ One/
    who /lived/ his/ life/ for/ the/ sake/ of/ all/ be/ings./
    Though/ the/ sus/ten/ance/ of/ Bud/dha,/ the/ Truth/
    en/ters/ us/ and/ we/ en/ter/ Truth./
    Let/ us/ strive/ to/ be/ne/fit/ all/ li/ving/ be/ings,/[*] a/rouse/ the/ thought/ of/ A/wa/ken/ing,/
    cul/ti/vate/ Bod/hi/sat/tva/ Prac/tice,/
    and/ to/ge/ther/ en/ter/ Per/fect/ Peace,/ [*] the/ pen/e/tra/tion/ of/ the/ e/qua/li/ty/ of/ all/ things./
    Now/ let/ us/ re/ver/ent/ly/ bow.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Then …

Ino:

“Maka Hannya Haramita Shin Gyo”

All:

Kan Ji Zai Bo Satsu Gyo Jin Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ji Sho
    Ken Go[*] On Kai Ku Do I Sai Ku Yaku Sha Ri Shi Shiki Fu
    I Ku Ku Fu I Shiki Shiki Soku Ze Ku Ku Soku Ze Shiki Ju
    So Gyo Shiki Yaku Bu Nyo Ze Sha Ri Shi Ze Sho Ho Ku
    So Fu Sho Fu Metsu Fu Ku Fu Jo Fu Zo Fu Gen Ze Ko Ku
    Chu Mu Shiki Mu Ju So Gyo Shiki Mu Gen Ni Bi Ze Shin
    Ni Mu Shiki Sho Ko Mi Soku Ho Mu Gen Kai Nai Shi Mu
    I Shiki Kai Mu Mu Myo Yaku Mu Mu Myo Jin Nai Shi Mu
    Ro Shi Yaku Mu Ro Shi Jin Mu Ku Shu Metsu Do Mu Chi
    Yaku Mu Toku I Mu Sho Tok ko Bo Dai Sat Ta E Han-Nya
    Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko[*] Shin Mu Kei Ge Mu Kei Ge Ko Mu
    U Ku Fu On Ri Is-Sai Ten Do Mu So Ku Gyo Ne Han San
    Ze Sho Butsu E Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko[*] Toku A Noku
    Ta Ra San Myaku San Bo Dai Ko Chi Han-Nya Ha Ra Mi
    Ta Ze Dai Jin Shu Ze Dai Myo Shu Ze Mu Jo Shu Ze Mu
    To Do Shu No Jo Is sai Ku Shin Jitsu Fu Ko Ko Setsu Han
    Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Shu Soku Setsu Shu Watsu Gya* Tei
    Gya Tei Ha Ra Gya Tei Hara[*] So Gya Tei Bo Ji Sowa Ka

Han Nya Shin Gyo [* * *]

Followed by Dedication, as follows:

Buddha Nature pervades the whole universe, Reality, existing right here now: We recall this day when some 2500 years ago, Shakyamuni Buddha, our historical Teacher, entered into Parinirvana. In reciting THE VERSE OF HOMAGE TO THE BUDDHA’S RELICS and THE HEART OF THE PERFECTION OF GREAT WISDOM SUTRA we offer our reverence, and dedicate this gathering, to our great original source teacher, Shakyamuni Buddha. On this day of his entry into Parinirvana, mindful of his Teachings, we go forward with boundless gratitude and joy and vow to practice endlessly…

The Pure Dharma Body of the Buddha is always clear, beyond birth and death and expressed by all things, yet cannot be seen so long as one is lost in duality. The Buddha lived within coming and going, birth and death, a man of great compassion for all living beings. For this we bow in gratitude, and aspire that we may illuminate our minds in the midst of delusion.

On this day we have gathered to commemorate our Great Teacher Shakyamuni Buddha’s entry into Parinirvana, and we offer incense, flowers, light, fruit and sweet water, all symbols of reverence, life and the satisfaction of all desires. We further dedicate the merit of this Zazen gathering in gratitude for his great Compassionate acts in leaving us these Timeless Teachings.

The moon over Mount Ryoju, the Vulture Peak, shines wonderously in all directions.

The sala trees bloom and their petals convey the fragrance of the Dharma down through time.

The Buddha transcended desire and his understanding has helped all who are deluded until this present moment. The merits of suchness will extend from the beginningless past to the endless future.

All the myriad forms of existence join in recognizing the profound importance of this day and wholeheartedly recite with us, some in words and some in silence. We are filled with awe at the countless voices which thus proclaim the Dharma, and we vow to embrace and sustain it endlessly. We also remember and dedicate this day and these efforts to all our parents, grand-parents, siblings, our relatives near and distant, all our ancestors reaching back through the generations, and our dear friends and other cherished ones who have passed from this seen world.

And for those children we recall, born or unborn, now departed, we open our hearts to grief, to the bonds which will always remain, and proclaim our vow to care for the children of this world today.

Thus, let the harmful effects of words, thoughts and actions be dispelled
    and Compassion bloom in perpetual spring.
    May we all realize and live the Enlightened Way together:

EVERYONE CHANTS:

ø All Buddhas throughout space and time
    ø All Bodhisattvas-Mahasattvas
    ø Maha • Prajna • Paramita

(then 3x PROSTRATIONS or DEEP BOWS by EVERYONE)

This is followed by the beginning of Zazen.
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-17-2023 at 03:08 AM.

Hey all

I'd love to be 'live' for this one but am working today - if it is quiet in the office I'll watch youtube live and sit the zazen later

Gassho, Tokan, with bows to the sangha

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Thank you everyone for celebrating together our Ancestors!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    Last edited by Kiri; 02-18-2023 at 10:23 AM.
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

How wonderful to sit with y'all, in remembrance of our ancestors. Such gratitude...

Gassho,
    Shujin

I couldn’t be more grateful that we get together as a sangha to mark the occasion like this! Lovely to have a bit more ceremony than usual.Thank you all, and thank you Jundo!

Sat today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Sat with you all on this one today. Thank you.

Michael
    Satlah

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Many Zazenkai, including this one, missed. Yet, welcome? I sat often Sunday mornings, almost daily, often 90 min. daily, health improved, as with anyone like me, difficulty. I would sit with you Zazenkai this week. I believe you say, "Yes come on in, water is fine."
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Many Zazenkai, including this one, missed. Yet, welcome? I sat often Sunday mornings, almost daily, often 90 min. daily, health improved, as with anyone like me, difficulty. I would sit with you Zazenkai this week. I believe you say, "Yes come on in, water is fine."
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    You are always welcome, TS, to sit at the regular time or later with the live recording. See you there!

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Thank you for this zazenkai i sat it.

Gassho
    Diana
    Sat