Thread: The Forty-seventh of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

The Forty-seventh of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

47) The Forty-seventh Gate: the mind without enmity and intimacy

The mind without enmity and intimacy is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it], when among enemies and intimates, we are impartial.(Nishijima/Cross)

The intention not to resent those close to you is a gate of realizing Dharma; it creates the heart of oneness in the midst of resenting those who are close. (Tanahashi)

Gate Gatha:
    May we, together with all buddhas;
    Free our minds from hatred and attachment
    That we may be assured of impartiality.

Reflection Prompts:

1. Do both these translation describe a mind of equanimity as being the Gate?

2. If so, how does it create a heart of oneness?

3. Write a new Capping verse.

Capping Verse:
    Water everywhere
    A duck swims
    Without getting wet

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Interesting... They are quite different to me but both do speak of equanimity. The first one is telling me to be aware that it doesn't make sense to hate some and love others; but instead to remind myself that all beings are equanimous. The second one is telling me to not be so annoyed by my loved ones, even when part of me is obviously annoyed. This one is a bit more related to the no-self and reminding myself that I don't need to pay heed to all of my thoughts and feelings. This is another way to be equanimous.

Equanimity creates a oneness with others because we reduce the thoughts that some are better than others, more loved than others, more separate from the self, etc. We are all the same value, and are all interconnected, like all the ants in the anthill.

3. Write a new Capping verse:

Do not prune the tree of relationships
    To only allow branches of ease.
    Tend equanimity to ensure true growth.

Two gates per day is a lot of work lol! I am only doing some of them, but I really enjoy the mental puzzle of trying to understand the messages.
    Veronica
    stlah

1. Yes, both translations describe a mind of equanimity as being the gate of Dharma illumination.

2. The mind without enmity and intimacy creates a heart of oneness because it allows us to see all beings as equal, regardless of their relationship to us. This impartiality allows us to see beyond our biases and resentments, creating a sense of unity and connectedness with all beings.

3. New Capping Verse:

In the pond, a duck swims,
    Equality reflected in its limbs.
    Enmity and attachment, nowhere to be found,
    Impartiality, a gate to wisdom profound

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Do not prune the tree of relationships
    To only allow branches of ease.
    Tend equanimity to ensure true growth.
    Lovely!! Glad you enjoy the challenge.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Thank you, Shokai, for this new Gate!

I also think both translations describe a equanimous mind that don't separate one group of people from another.

The equanimity appears here in not privileging those we like and act with prejudice and bias toward those we don't like, creating oneness by eliminating the artificial division our mind creates between people.

3. Write a new Capping verse.
    Friend and foe
    Fruit and trash
    Don't exist outside the mind

Gassho
    Tai Do
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Hey all

1. Do both these translation describe a mind of equanimity as being the Gate? - It is interesting as it appears to suggest our enemies are as close, in a way, as our loved ones (intimates); a bit like that old saying, keep your friends close but your enemies closer (different rationale though!) I'd say yes to the question, but with one caveat - I don't think the Western notion of impartiality is what is being implied, so yes, on that basis it would suggest equanimity to me.

2. If so, how does it create a heart of oneness? - The act of letting go of attachment, whether to love or hate, suggests to me the opening of a space where oneness doesn't arise, and in fact isn't created. I would use the words realised or actualised because the oneness is always there if we care to notice it.

3. Write a new Capping verse. I'd actually like to quote the Faith in Mind....

When love and hate are both absent
    Everything becomes clear
    and undisguised.

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai