Thread: The Forty-sixth of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

The Forty-sixth of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

46) The Forty-sixth Gate: the view to expiate causes.

The view to expiate causes is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it] we attain salvation.(Nishijima/Cross)

Removing the views of causes is a gate of realizing Dharma; it leads to emancipation. (Tanahashi)

Gate Gatha:
    May we, together with all buddhas;
    Atone for all of our harmful acts, words and thoughts,
    That we may attain salvation.

Reflection Prompts:

1. Does salvation follow atonement automatically?

2. What does the views of causes refer to?

3. How are emancipation and salvation similar?

Capping Verse:
    We fall down often
    Then get up
    Again and again

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

1. Atonement alone is not enough to achieve salvation. It requires a deeper understanding and consistent practice of the teachings of the Dharma. One must strive to understand the root causes of their negative actions, thoughts and words, and make a concerted effort to change their behavior and attitudes.

2. The views of causes refer to fundamental misunderstandings about the nature of reality. These views can take the form of mistaken beliefs about the self, the world, and the relationship between the two. By recognizing and letting go of these false views, we can begin to see things as they truly are, and act in ways that are in alignment with our true nature.

3. Emancipation and salvation are similar in that they both refer to a state of liberation from suffering. This liberation can take many forms, including physical freedom from suffering, mental freedom from afflictive emotions and negative thoughts, and spiritual freedom from ignorance and delusion. Regardless of the form it takes, emancipation and salvation are both characterized by a deep sense of peace, happiness, and well-being that transcends the ups and downs of ordinary life.

New Capping Verse:

On the path to liberation,
    We shed our ignorance and doubt,
    And find peace in every moment,
    Where suffering has no route.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Thank you Shokai

I don’t think so. Atonement is a step. It helps us pause and reflect on our word, thoughts and actions. Depending on what exactly we are atoning for I think there needs to be some forgiveness. Forgiveness for ourselves and potentially forgiveness for the other

Not sure exactly. I think the causes are rooted in ourselves so perhaps we are referring to the root of those causes. What is the reason for our harmful words, thoughts, and actions. In a Buddhist perspective ultimately greed, anger and ignorance.

Emancipation is more of a legal term and salvation is more of a spiritual term.

Objectively emancipation is something granted to us. Salvation (at least without a supreme deity is potentially something we can achieve for ourselves

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

The views of causes refer to fundamental misunderstandings about the nature of reality.
    Emancipation and salvation are similar in that they both refer to a state of liberation from suffering.
    Thank you Jishin for these two distinctions that help to unpack an understanding of this Gate.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

It seems that a refusal to atone for wrongdoings would be an obstacle to salvation, but it is only one piece of the puzzle.

Perhaps if we have done wrong, and we are defending our actions by focusing on the causes, then this is not helpful. It is better to let go of the thoughts of the causes, and simply stop doing wrong.

Both are related to the concept of being free.

Veronica
    stlah

Hi all

1. Does salvation follow atonement automatically? - Hmmm, this is a tricky one as, despite our bodhisattva vows, I'm not so sure we can be certain what salvation looks like, but that's just me. However, my gut feeling is probably consistent with the other comments, that atonement doesn't automatically lead to salvation, but is a preparatory step if you like, you can atone without salvation (if you do not practice a way of life that would lead to salvation), but you cannot achieve salvation (whatever it is) without atonement.

2. What does the views of causes refer to? - Not sure if there is a specific Buddhist reference to this, but there are differing 'views' about the 'causes' out there, from fatalism, nihilism, free agency and all that. Maybe in respect of the verses it simply refers to seeing beyond our limited human perspective to embrace the dharma-view. This might lead to emancipation by freeing us from our limited and confined mental perspective that hold's us back from 'going beyond' (gate, gate, paragate.....)

3. How are emancipation and salvation similar? - They both refer to a process of achieving freedom.

I atone,
    then atone again -
    now get up and walk!

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Thank you, Shokai!

Like others have said, atonement is a necessary step toward salvation, but it seem to require more: pardon from others we wronged, retribution and compensation for the harm done, forgiving ourselves, working towards betting ourselves and the like.

I think it refers to the way we see reality distorted by the poisons and hindrances like greed, anger, ignorance, divisive thinking and the like. When we abandon these ways of seen reality in relation to our small self separated from everyone and everything, we are set free from dhukkha.

Both refer to being freed from dhukkha.

Gassho,
    Tai Do
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi