Thread: The Forty-third of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

The Forty-third of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

43) The Forty-third Gate: pursuit of abundant knowledge.

Pursuit of abundant knowledge is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it] we truly reflect on the form of the Dharma.(Nishijima/Cross)

Seeking extensive learning is a gate of realizing Dharma; it leads to right awakening to aspects of Dharma. (Tanahashi)

Gate Gatha:
    May we, together with all buddhas;
    Accumulate abundant knowledge,
    That we may experience the Dharma "as it is."

Reflection Prompts:

1. How does a greater knowledge base allow us to more clearly relate to the Dharma?

2. Does Tanahashi-roshis translation answer #1 above?

3. Explain what is meant by "breaking the mold." in the third line of the Capping Verse?

Capping Verse:
    The Dharma takes shape
    With study
    Then we break the mold.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

1. A greater knowledge base allows us to more clearly relate to the Dharma as it provides a deeper understanding of the teachings and principles. It enables us to reflect on the form of the Dharma more accurately and gain a clearer perspective on how to apply it to our lives.

2. Yes, Tanahashi-roshi's translation answers the first prompt as it mentions that seeking extensive learning leads to "right awakening to aspects of Dharma," which is another way of expressing a deeper understanding and connection to the teachings.

3. "Breaking the mold" in the third line of the Capping Verse means breaking free from preconceived notions and fixed beliefs, and experiencing the Dharma in its purest form. By accumulating abundant knowledge, we are able to see beyond our limited understanding and gain a fresh perspective that allows us to better appreciate the Dharma and apply it to our lives.

New Capping Verse:

With study, we broaden our view,
    The Dharma becomes clearer, true.
    Breaking the mold, we find the way,
    To enlightenment, each and every day.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Thank you, Shokai, for bringing us the Forty-third Gate!

1. How does a greater knowledge base allow us to more clearly relate to the Dharma?
    By knowing not only about the Buddha-dharma as expressed in our own lineage, but on other lineages and schools, we see other aspects of the Dharma. By learning not only about the Dharma, but about other subjects as well, we are able to better apply the Dharma. For exemple, our discussions on the Ecodharma allows us to see aspects of "saving all sentient beings" that we might otherwise not be aware of. The same is true about other subjects as well - like learning new scientific discoveries and ideas can help us better fulfill the Bodhissatva vows and follow the Precepts.

2. Does Tanahashi-roshis translation answer #1 above?
    Yes! I see extensive learning here as learning about different ideas, subjects, facts, theories, disciplines, arts etc. All can bring new insights that can help us in walking the Way, fulfilling our Vows and practicing the Precepts.

3. Explain what is meant by "breaking the mold." in the third line of the Capping Verse?
    I make Jishin's words mine as a well here.

Gassho,
    Tai Do (Mateus)
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Hey all

1. How does a greater knowledge base allow us to more clearly relate to the Dharma? - For me this is like the process of becoming an artist (of which I am not!) Knowledge enables the artist to develop greater technical ability, to become one with the discipline. As a beginner it strengthens your understanding of why the path is what it is, rather than closing your eyes and following the guy in front!

2. Does Tanahashi-roshis translation answer #1 above? Well Tanahashi use the word "extensive" and that tends to mean acquiring a lot of knowledge in Western acquisitive culture, but it could also be considered that extensive learning also comes from the practice of the Way, as the two translations differ slightly in that regard - knowledge vs. learning, though Nishijima does not actually infer that abundant knowledge is necessarily intellectual so perhaps the two words are the same side of a two-sided coin.

3. Explain what is meant by "breaking the mold." in the third line of the Capping Verse? - I like this idea, and it took me a while to understand this in my younger years, but this is similar to the Buddha's teaching about the raft, that we use the raft to "cross over to the other shore" and then leave the raft behind and continue on our journey. Knowledge can help you to develop insight but ultimately remains dualistic, and in breaking the mold we drop all such distinctions.

When the bow
    hits the sand
    I let go of the oars.

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way