Thread: [EcoDharma] What Do We Owe Animals?

[EcoDharma] What Do We Owe Animals?

Hi all,

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...uS25hIJePc9z4A

I debated posting this as it may be a sensitive topic. Please remove if so. I think, however, this is germane to our discussion. Here philosopher Martha Nussbaum discusses how pollution and habitat destruction affect the other beings who live with us. She also considers their legal standing, something David Loy discussed in our previous reading.
    Gassho,
    Naiko

Just want to add that I don’t think we can separate their survival and our survival.
    st lah
    Last edited by Naiko; 01-31-2023 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naiko View Post
    Hi all,

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...uS25hIJePc9z4A

I debated posting this as it may be a sensitive topic. Please remove if so. I think, however, this is germane to our discussion. Here philosopher Martha Nussbaum discusses how pollution and habitat destruction affect the other beings who live with us. She also considers their legal standing, something David Loy discussed in our previous reading.
    Gassho,
    Naiko

Just want to add that I don’t think we can separate their survival and our survival.
    st lah
    Thank you for this topic, Naiko.

Ecology as a whole is paramount for me....but I've also spent much time researching animal welfare, habitat destruction, industrial farming and how we have treated animals "under our stewardship" - meaning we have the power of their liberation or extinction.

It is all connected, from polluted water, to air fresheners and cleaners, to plastic islands, to over-fishing and taking "pieces" of marine life, to suburban sprawl destroying habitats and land, to animal welfare/rights and the unspeakable suffering in slaughterhouses.

What we owe animals.... liberation, equality, respect, caretaking. Restored habitats. I'd say more but then "I ain't got no brakes" when I get rolling on this issue.

Any of it..... I will never be okay with it.

stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Hey all

I just think if we did the things we needed to do to ensure our own survival then we'd probably be supporting the diversity of the great ecosystem (earth) and all the varied species along with it. To stop our self-destructive binge would require an honest and thoughtful reflection on the consequences of what we are doing. I fear the good work of a million people is overshadowed by the few that make the 'big' decisions. I always hope I am wrong, or that something strange will happen to change all this, but the current evidence seems to indicate the opposite. This is why I stay out of the eco-debate usually, I feel there is less and less to be hopeful about, it is so sad that the climate change 'deny'ers' continue to have so much influence over popular opinion, and the mass of humanity continues to be addicted to 'things'. Sorry to be so glum!!!

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Spiritdove
    We are animals too all I am going to say Agreed Tokan
    Not glum if it is true

Marj "Spiritdove"
    Sat2day
    Last edited by Spiritdove; 02-01-2023 at 12:38 AM.

Ah yes, the human animal, thank you for the reminder

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

The debate over animal rights is a very personal one for me - my Master's degree Dissertation was about Aristotle and Justice towards animals, and I used Martha Nussbaun's work a lot. And to this day, more than ten years later, I still haven't managed to stop destructive behaviours like meat-eating (lack of will-power) and one-use-only plastics (lack of options on the market). It gives me a lot of sadness, guilty and hopelessness when I see that not even someone who wrote about it like myself is able to change the destructive behaviours.
    Gassho,
    Tai Do (Mateus)
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Do View Post
    It gives me a lot of sadness, guilty and hopelessness when I see that not even someone who wrote about it like myself is able to change the destructive behaviours.
    We are all able to change the behaviors. We just don’t want to.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Do View Post
    The debate over animal rights is a very personal one for me - my Master's degree Dissertation was about Aristotle and Justice towards animals, and I used Martha Nussbaun's work a lot. And to this day, more than ten years later, I still haven't managed to stop destructive behaviours like meat-eating (lack of will-power) and one-use-only plastics (lack of options on the market). It gives me a lot of sadness, guilty and hopelessness when I see that not even someone who wrote about it like myself is able to change the destructive behaviours.
    Gassho,
    Tai Do (Mateus)
    Satlah
    For me, this is why I get up every day and try to live the eightfold path as well as the bodhisattva vows. I try not to look at things in such absolutist terms, like an on-off switch, perhaps more like a dimmer switch. Sometimes I am better at living in accord with my values than at other times. I kind of agree with Jishin, but I'd probably phrase it as "we tell ourselves change is hard, and therefore too difficult." I'm a big fan of "small steps always and big steps sometimes." Always remember the good you do in the world too, there are times when we expect too much of ourselves.

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

Thank you, Jishin and Tokan!
    Gassho,
    Tai Do
    Satlah

Thank you for sharing this article.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

A tough question for me. I think, looking back over my life, I probably owe animals about $1,595,987.00 plus interest.

gassho
    ds sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt