Thread: UPDATE on NEXT BOOK READING (and authors coming as Guest Teachers) TOP RECOMMENDED!

UPDATE on NEXT BOOK READING (and authors coming as Guest Teachers) TOP RECOMMENDED!

Dear All,

In about a week, we turn to a very unique collection of short essays by a group of women Soto Teachers, focused on Zen Wisdom and Compassion applied to real life problems. The book deserves to be better known, and is not to be missed. It is called ...

Twenty-five leading American teachers of Soto Zen Buddhism speak to all who have suffered and sought spiritual guidance, revealing personal stories of sickness, death, political anger, fear, jealousy, environmental corruption, disillusionment, and longing for peace.

They offer insight to how to stand with poise through the woes of existence and emerge transformed by our suffering. The transformative nature of Zen practice gives strength to face all possibilities. The entire book wears the mantle of Kanzeon, the goddess of mercy, the one who hears the cries of suffering and offers the loving hand of compassion to all living beings
    This book is so under-appreciated, I think, that I truly hope that everyone will buy a copy (although something also can be arranged for folks with hardship to acquire the book).

What is more, good news: So far, half or more of the authors have agreed to come to Treeleaf to host a short guest Zazenkai, and Q&A, when their essay is our focus! I am hoping that I can get more if schedules can be arranged. Unfortunately, a couple of the authors are now ill, and cannot come (like the book's wonderful editor, and an old friend of Treeleaf, Dai-En Bennage Roshi, but we will dedicate all our readings and sittings to her health). I will announce the different Zazenkais when the dates are set, likely to spread out into the rest of this year and into early next.

So, I hope you will join in!

Gassho, Jundo

sattodayLAH

PS - (I was going to first turn to another chapter of my book, Zen Master's Dance, but we will save that for another time. You hear enough of me around here as it is! )
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-30-2023 at 05:36 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Looking very much forward to reading the book together and meeting the authors.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

UPDATE on NEXT BOOK READING (and authors coming as Guest Teachers) TOP RECOMMENDED!

Thank you for the recommendation, Jundo. I look forward to the discussions of this book.

Gassho, Andrea
    SatToday

Thank you, Jundo. I look forward to the discussions and the visiting authors.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Exciting! I have the book and am ready to go!
    Veronica
    Stlah

Wonderful! Looking forward to it!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

excellent

gassho

risho
    -stlah

I really really like this book. It made a great difference to me when I read it, especially regarding the teachers who write about practice with ill health.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

This is a great idea. Looking forward to reading the book and hearing from the teachers directly. I ordered mine through bookshop.org, a good alternative to Amazon that supports local bookstores (in the US only).

ST
    Seth

I was about to buy and download the book to oddly it is not available in ebook format in Canada either through Kobo or Kindle. Has anyone found this book in ebook or epub format?

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    I was about to buy and download the book to oddly it is not available in ebook format in Canada either through Kobo or Kindle. Has anyone found this book in ebook or epub format?

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Hi Tairin,

Unfortunately, the book appears to only be in soft-cover/paperback. I did some searching as well (I much prefer digital over paper these days) but had no luck.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi View Post
    Hi Tairin,

Unfortunately, the book appears to only be in soft-cover/paperback. I did some searching as well (I much prefer digital over paper these days) but had no luck.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    Thank you Koushi. That would explain why my search came up empty. Too bad. I prefer digital these days too

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

I will scan a rough version, a post it here for folks who need.

But I ask everyone to keep me honest and to order an actual paper copy too, unless there is real economic hardship.

Thank you.

Gassho, J

stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I will scan a rough version, a post it here for folks who need.

But I ask everyone to keep me honest and to order an actual paper copy too, unless there is real economic hardship.

Thank you.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Hopeful not because of me. I prefer ebook format but am not allergic to paper . I can absolutely afford the price of the book

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

I also couldn’t find a digital format and the price with the shipping is too high for me at this moment. I was thinking of not participating this time. Thank you, Jundo.
    Gassho,
    Tai Do
    Satlah

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Thank you Koushi. That would explain why my search came up empty. Too bad. I prefer digital these days too

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Same here. No ebook version and no used copies to be found. Paperback on Amazon, pricing was sort of okay.

Gassho stlh

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Do View Post
    I also couldn’t find a digital format and the price with the shipping is too high for me at this moment. I was thinking of not participating this time. Thank you, Jundo.
    Gassho,
    Tai Do
    Satlah
    I am sure that it is fine, given the circumstances, to provide a PDF copy to those who need.

The priests self-published the book, not to make a profit, but to help sentient beings. I will try to get one posted soon, for those who cannot find a copy easily.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

I've (belatedly) ordered this book and look forward to reading along with everyone and hearing from the authors .

Gassho ,
    ST/LAH

I received my paperback copy yesterday. Ordered it a while ago through one of the thrift book sites as usual, and it's in great condition. Looking forward to it.

Gassho

My book arrived this afternoon, I'm very happy about that! Finally got a free second to sit down and actually look at it and what a wonderful looking book it is indeed. I'm excited to start going through its contents little by little with everyone.

Gassho
    Rousei
    ST
    浪省 - RouSei - Wandering Introspection

My book finally arrived today after needing to order it a second time. My first order was “lost” due to a cyber attack at the seller.

Thank you for making the PDF available. It helped me stay caught up until my copy arrived.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Hi all,

If anyone can point me to an e-copy I'd be v grateful. Probably easier to get moon-rock in NZ than a hard copy!

Thanks and Gassho, Yokai

sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Yokai View Post
    Hi all,

If anyone can point me to an e-copy I'd be v grateful. Probably easier to get moon-rock in NZ than a hard copy!

Thanks and Gassho, Yokai

sat/lah
    Hi Yokai

I checked and this book is not available for purchase in ebook format.

Jundo did get permission to post a PDF scanned in. https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...those-who-need for those who needed

Tairin
    Sat today and lah