Thread: January 27th-28th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Vairocana, the Universal Buddha

January 27th-28th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Vairocana, the Universal Buddha

Who is this, mentioned in our Soto Zen Meal Chants?

Homage to the pure Dharmakaya Vairochana Buddha, boundless
    To the complete Sambhogakaya Lochana Buddha, symbol of perfection

Dogen also mentions Vairochana dozens of times in his writing, such as this nice passage from Shobogenzo (Yui Butsu Yo Butsu):

The entire earth is the single eye of Vairochana means that buddhas have a single eye.
    Do not suppose that a buddha’s eye is like those of human beings.
    Human beings have two eyes ...
    Those who study the teaching should not understand that “the eye of a buddha,”
    “the eye of dharma,” or “the celestial eye” is like the two eyes of human beings.
    To believe that it is like human eyes is lamentable.
    Understand now that there is only a buddha’s single eye,
    which is itself the entire earth.

You may be surprised to find such references in Zen.

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-27-2023 at 01:35 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

More about Vairochana (also known as Dainichi Nyorai in Japanese) ...

Dainichi Buddha (Sanskrit = Vairocana or Maha Vairocana) ... generally supplants the Historical Buddha as the object of veneration among Japan's esoteric practitioners. Indeed, in Japan's Esoteric traditions, Dainichi is the most important of all the myriad Buddha. In fact, Dainichi is said to be everywhere and everything, like the air we breathe, with all other Buddha and divine beings considered as emanations of Dainichi. ... Esoteric Buddhism was founded on the principle that the two aspects of Buddha, both the unchanging cosmic principle and the active, physical manifestation of Buddha in the natural world, were one and the same. The truth of the cosmic order, which is contained in the relationships between the Cosmic Buddha and all his manifestations, cannot be known verbally.

Unlike most statues of the various Buddha (Nyorai) in Japan (which are simple and unadorned), images of Dainichi Buddha are typically depicted in the guise of a Bodhisattva -- with elaborately arranged hair topped with a crown, and wearing richly jeweled ornaments or garments. ... Dainichi’s characteristic hand gesture in Japan (although not always) is the Mudra of Six Elements (Jp. = Chiken-in 智拳印) -- also called the Knowledge Fist Mudra. In this mudra, the index finger of the left hand is clasped by the five fingers of the right. This mudra symbolizes the unity of the five worldly elements -- earth, water, fire, air/wind, and space/void -- with spiritual consciousness. ...

https://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/dainichi.shtml
    References to Vairochana in our meal chants go back to China, if not earlier. Dogen brought these same chants back to Japan, and wrote of them in his instructions for Oryoki. For example, the first, extant Zen Monastic Code in China, published in 1103, thus over 100 years before Dogen would have come to China, is the Chanyuan qinggui (Rules of Purity for the Chan Monastery). It states the following, about identical to Dogen's wording ...

Regarding mealtime rituals, the Chanyuan qinggui indicates that before taking their meals, monks would chant the ten epithets of the Buddhas and bodhisattvas, a custom preserved in Chinese monasteries to the present day. The chant begins as follows:

“The Pure Dharma Body Vairocana Buddha, the Perfect Reward Body Vairocana ...

Japan, mid Edo period (1673-1751)
    cast and lacquered bronze; base in wood carved, lacquered and gilded
    https://www.museidigenova.it/en/dainichi-nyorai

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-27-2023 at 01:56 AM.

Hey all

It is my 12th wedding anniversary today so we are having a family day, I will sit with this zazenkai later, enjoy

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Spiritdove
    Happy Anniversary! Click this link for special message Best-wedding-anniversary-wishes-for-couple-1.png

Marj "Spiritdove"
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritdove View Post
    Happy Anniversary! Click this link for special message Best-wedding-anniversary-wishes-for-couple-1.png

Marj "Spiritdove"
    Sat Today
    Thank you, very kind

Tokan, satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

I had never heard of Vairochana before today, didn't know there was a creator being in Buddhism. I enjoyed this week's talk, I came to zen pretty disillusioned by the abrahamic stuff but I've since made peace with all of it. I can empathize with religious family members more than I used to be able to.

Gassho
    Jacob Jay
    Sat today
    I'm not qualified to sign this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Janicek View Post
    I had never heard of Vairochana before today, didn't know there was a creator being in Buddhism. I enjoyed this week's talk, I came to zen pretty disillusioned by the abrahamic stuff but I've since made peace with all of it. I can empathize with religious family members more than I used to be able to.

Gassho
    Jacob Jay
    Sat today
    Well, rather than "creator," one might better say something like "True Source" ... that is, "Emptiness," the Ultimate, the Absolute, "Dharmakaya," etc.

Gassho, J

stlah

Thank you everyone! Nice to see you Vairocana san, and happy anniversary Tokan!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all so much! Finished sitting this morning (had to bail partway through the second zazen period, unfortunately).

It means a lot to have these opportunities to practice with everyone

Gassho,

Bokugan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Hey all

It is my 12th wedding anniversary today so we are having a family day, I will sit with this zazenkai later, enjoy

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)
    Happy anniversary! That is wonderful.

Gassho,

Bokugan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you to all who sat Zazenkai, I have sat with the recording of you all just now

Gassho

Meiun (Mike)

Sat today

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Let everything happen to you: Beauty and terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final. - Rainer Maria Rilke

Wonderful...I too had notheard of Vairochana before today. This talk has really deepened my understanding.

Though it was coincidental, I appreciated the kinhin demonstration. Iwas never quite sure if I was doing it right.

Gassho,
    Sat
    Kelly

I enjoyed sitting with y'all this morning.

Gassho,
    Shujin

sat today

Thank you, meian sat with you all today.

gassho

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Lovely! Thank you all!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Sat this Friday with you all.
    Thank you, Jundo, Bion and everyone.
    Gassho,
    Tai Do,
    Satlah