Thread: The Thirty-third of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

The Thirty-third of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

33) The Thirty-third Gate: Awareness of time.

Awareness of time is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it] we do not treat spoken teaching lightly.(Nishijima/Cross)

Being aware of time is a gate of realizing Dharma; it does not allow you to speak lightly. (Tanahashi)

Gate Gatha:
    May we, together with all buddhas;
    Embrace mindfulness of time,
    That we may focus during teisho.

Reflection Prompts:

1. How does the awareness of time relate to our treatment of the spoken word?

2. Does awareness of time cause us not to speak lightly?

3. Comment on the nuance expressed in the Capping Verse.

Capping Verse:
    Hearing Buddha's words
    Act quickly!
    Life depends on it

gassho,Shokai
    stlah
    Last edited by Shokai; 01-24-2023 at 01:46 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Spiritdove
    As opinionated as always I think time is the illusion. Since we only live in the present moment. Past and future are always now. So its now and time does not really exist. I havent figure it out totally how now can always be now.. gassho1.gif

Here and now is the only place you can be. Just sit

gassho, Shokai
    Last edited by Shokai; 01-23-2023 at 02:29 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Spiritdove

As opinionated as always I think time is the illusion. Since we only live in the present moment. Past and future are always now. So its now and time does not really exist. I havent figure it out totally how now can always be now
    In addition to dropping notions of past and future, we can also let go of the idea of now.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritdove View Post
    As opinionated as always I think time is the illusion. Since we only live in the present moment. Past and future are always now. So its now and time does not really exist. I havent figure it out totally how now can always be now.. gassho1.gif
    and what i find the most intriguing : this now does not exist either.. when i say now: when i say the o the n is already past and the w is future.. where is this now?

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Hey all

1. How does the awareness of time relate to our treatment of the spoken word?
    It would appear that, as far as we know, at this 'time', our conception of time is a human construct, yet it is a relative reality that we experience, whether by clock or by the rising and setting of the sun and the movement of seasons. I wonder if the intent here is to draw out attention to the fact that we don't get time 'back', but also that we can't take our actions/speech back that occur in the space called 'time'. On that basis it would also remind us that the time is now, right speech is now, attentiveness during teisho is now.

2. Does awareness of time cause us not to speak lightly?
    As for my comment on 1., awareness of time would not lead to all people avoiding 'light' speaking, but in combination with our practice-vows it is certainly an important dimension to our inter-being and interconnectedness with all things, and bringing that awareness in our speech.

3. Comment on the nuance expressed in the Capping Verse.
    The zafu is waiting.

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

where is this now?

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Spiritdove
    Ok now that is a stumper to me. Since I am a living person I am now. Now is all around me. I am not going to distinguish me totally until my body turns to dust. Its not attaching its just i like me. No one has given any evidence of "nothing" it has not been shown. when you claim a nothing there is always the observer there of that nothing then it turns into something. Always air., space, gravity.. ect. I will put this on the shelf till I read what the zen meaning of what you just said is.
    Whats wrong with now? Since Im doing it now. Now moves along with me. *hmmm*
    Marj "Spiritdove"
    sat today.

Spiritdove
    one time I was sitting relaxing under a tree very calm and I am not sure what happened. I noticed a leaf falling in front of me. I felt myself complete calm and that leaf "stopped" in mid air. I think maybe it was delusion but not sure. I mean it stayed there until I thought " wow that leaf is not moving" that's when it started moving again. Mind is so fickle. I still do not think I agree on what your saying about "now" but will mull over it. I think its that "stop" i experience is that now. Until I start thinking on it.

Marj "Spiritdove"
    Sat Today

Thank you Shokai

I have to admit that this one didn’t resonate with me at all. I don’t see the connection between awareness of time and speaking lightly at least not a connection obviously related to the Dharma.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

My take on the Nishijima-cross translation is similar to Tokan's; it reminds us that the time is now and attentiveness during teisho is now (we don't 'get time back.') Whereas, Tanahashi's version intimates that awareness of time causes one not to speak frivolously. ( a fine balance between too serious vs too lightly)

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai