Thread: ARTS: Treeleaf Version of the Heart Sutra poster

ARTS: Treeleaf Version of the Heart Sutra poster

One of the things that I do in my spare time is volunteer work as a layout artist and I wanted a copy of the Heart Sutra on the wall in my bedroom/Zendo. Not any version of the Heart Sutra though, it had to be the Treeleaf version!!!

So I made one. (In order to make it fit in an 8"x10" space I had to alter the formatting a little bit; I used my best Buddhist reading comprehension and layout artist eyes to decide how to do this, I hope I didn't make any faux pas!)

I want to make it available for anyone else in the Sangha who wants a copy, so I'm attaching a PDF as well. (I haven't cleared this with Jundo yet but I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have a problem with, big apologies if for some reason this is not OK!) It's 300 DPI, so it should be printable on any size by a print shop or a bigger printer than what I have. I made it with an aspect ratio to fit an 8"x10" space because all I have at home is an ordinary home inkjet printer.

I drew the Enso myself (it took several tries because I'm not familiar with my newest digital art equipment yet...but the more practice the better right?) so there's no copyrighted image issue here.

heart sutra framed.jpgHeart Sutra (Treeleaf Version).pdf.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

PS: I'm not sure what this sort of thing counts as, we don't have a "graphic design" sub forum. Jundo please move it to the appropriate sub forum!
    Last edited by Nengei; 01-20-2023 at 07:36 PM. Reason: labeled for arts forum

Thank you very much for your artwork, Kelly. I will also print my copy and hang it in my wall here!

Tai Do (Mateus)
    Satlah

Hi Kelly,

This looks great! I think many people will like it.

You put the thread almost in the right place, it belongs with other two-dimensional art. I just nudged it into the painting and drawing areas and added ARTS to the header so it is consistent with the other threads in this forum.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Please excuse any unintended appearance that what I post is authoritative or teaching in any way. I am a priest-in-training and have no qualifications for teaching Zen or interpreting the Dharma.
    Last edited by Nengei; 01-20-2023 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    Hi Kelly,

This looks great! I think many people will like it.

You put the thread almost in the right place, it belongs with other two-dimensional art. I just nudged it into the painting and drawing areas and added ARTS to the header so it is consistent with the other threads in this forum.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Please excuse any unintended appearance that what I post is authoritative or teaching in any way. I am a priest-in-training and have no qualifications for teaching Zen or interpreting the Dharma.
    Thanks! I thought about putting it there but I was unsure because that one says "drawing/painting" and this isn't quite that.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

thank you, Kelly!

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Wow!! This is lovely!!
    With your permission I would love to print this out and hang it near my altar.
    Great work!

Gasshō,

Onki

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Onki View Post
    Wow!! This is lovely!!
    With your permission I would love to print this out and hang it near my altar.
    Great work!

Gasshō,

Onki

Sat today
    Absolutely! Permission granted! I'm honored!

Use it freely.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

Hey Kelly

Thank you so much

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

Lovely work Kelly. Thank you so much for sharing.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

I noticed that I missed a comma. This will be a lesson in not clinging to perfection.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

Beautifully presented. Thank you for sharing this Kelly.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

That's great Kelly, thanks for sharing it with us all

Gassho

Meiun

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Let everything happen to you: Beauty and terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final. - Rainer Maria Rilke

Very nice. May I download and place in my Zendo space?

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Very nice. May I download and place in my Zendo space?

Doshin
    St
    Of course!

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

Cool beans. Lovely. Thank you, Kel.

I will download one, find a nice frame, and put it around here in Tsukuba somewhere.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Cool beans. Lovely. Thank you, Kel.

I will download one, find a nice frame, and put it around here in Tsukuba somewhere.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    I am honored! By this and all of the love from the Sangha.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

Spiritdove
    ever hear of a perfect mess?

Marj "Spiritdove"
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritdove View Post
    ever hear of a perfect mess?

Marj "Spiritdove"
    Sat today
    Yes! I am very nitpicky about my work. In some situations I have to be, HOWEVER, I have trouble letting go and embracing the perfectly imperfect.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

Thank You for sharing, Kelly
    I will print and place it in my Zen space

Gassho
    Myosho
    Sat

Thank you, Kelly!
    Gassho,
    b.

st

Thanks Kelly! I've been wanting to start pondering/understanding/using the Heart Sutra! I will print this out. Much appreciated.
    Veronica
    stlah