Thread: The Thirty-first of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

The Thirty-first of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

31) The Thirty-first Gate: to work for living beings.

To work for living beings is a gate of Dharma illumination; for we do not blame others..(Nishijima/Cross)

Helping sentient beings is a gate of realizing Dharma; it does not allow you to slander others. (Tanahashi)

Gate Gatha:
    May we, together with all buddhas;
    Immerse ourselves in helping others
    That we may not see blame.

Reflection Prompts:

1. How do you work for living beings?

2. Do you feel that takes away from slandering or blaming others?

3. Is it possible to not see blame?

Capping Verse:
    Blame feeds on the self
    Drop the self
    And blame becomes love

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

In a variety of ways... I have always wanted to work in a caring capacity. I am a health care worker and work with vulnerable people. I'm also a mom, a wife, a pet owner, a volunteer.

Working for others allows greater connection to others. When we are trying to help others, we are more naturally in a state of compassion. We are giving rather than taking. This helps us to see others in a more positive light.

Hmmm, this can be challenging at times, especially if we feel we have been treated very unjustly. But if we try to have compassion for the other, and to offer them some assistance or kind words, it helps to reduce the desire to blame.

Veronica
    stlah

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Thank you, Shokai, for bringing us the Thirty-first Gate!

By helping them in their troubles, bringing them the conditions for their flourishing, acting with compassion and understanding, being kind and loving, bringing joy to their lives, treating all equally with the same standards, being equanimous, respecting their lives and choices, not destroying their environment, and all those actions that are not egotistical and based on self gain.

When we connect to others and really try to understand them, it becomes increasingly more difficult to judge and to blame them. We start to see them as also suffering sentient beings, like Thich Nhat Hanh said, we suffer and they suffer, and that makes us siblings.

It is a very difficult practice, but one we tend to do naturally for our close loved ones. The difficulty lies on expanding this from our inner circle to encompass all sentient beings.

Gassho,
    Tai Do (Mateus)
    Satlah

Hey all

1. How do you work for living beings? - Just try to be nice and helpful in an honest and truthful way, treading lightly and hope to fly like the bird in the sky, or the fish in the water, that leaves no trace.

2. Do you feel that takes away from slandering or blaming others? You place the focus on healing, so yes, it makes slandering or blaming harder to sustain.

3. Is it possible to not see blame? Yes, but not always so easy. I try to concentrate on 'responsibility' instead of blame, facts are facts, but blame is solely a value judgement (in my eyes).

Gassho

Tokan (satlah)

By the way Shokai - time zones shifted so the nice 2300 hours sit with you is currently at a less user-friendly 0100! Hopefully rejoin your sit when the clocks change again.

I sort of thought that might be the reason, haven't seen Steve either.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/