Thread: [Ecodharma] 90% of carbon offsets from biggest provider are worthless (article)

[Ecodharma] 90% of carbon offsets from biggest provider are worthless (article)

Dear all

I imagine that most of us are probably not surprised by this finding, that 90% of carbon offsets from the biggest provider, Verra, are worthless. Or, to put it another way, they only offset against 10% of the amount of carbon they are said to.

On the positive side, I guess that is 10% more than would have been offset.

On the negative side, carbon offsets can encourage companies and consumers to act while thinking that their activities are carbon neutral when they are not.

Relating this to Active Hope, carbon offset schemes often appear to me to be a product of Business as Usual, lulling people into the belief that we can continue on the same path we are on, with minor modifications.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...less-verra-aoe

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Thank you, Kokuu, for bringing this. I didn't know this, but am not surprised. Like you said, carbon offsets schemes does smell like Business as Usual.
    Gassho,
    Tai Do (Mateus)
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you, Kokuu. I’m glad this is getting scrutinized. I agree that it is Business As Usual and greenwashing.
    Gassho
    Naiko
    st