Thread: ARTS: BIG Tsukuba Poetry News!

ARTS: BIG Tsukuba Poetry News!

For the second year in a row, against odds of poetic proportions, Mikio Yoshiyama of Tsukuba (home to Treeleaf Japan) has dropped the mike ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[NHK] NEW YEAR’S ANNUAL “UTAKAI HAJIME” (START OF THE YEAR POETRY GATHERING AT THE IMPERIAL PALACE) PERFORMANCE OF TANKA BY MR. MIKIO YOSHIYAMA OF TSUKUBA CITY

On January 18th, the annual New Year's poetry gathering was held at the Imperial Palace, and a tanka poem by Mr. Mikio Yoshiyama of Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture, an employee at an organization, who was selected for the second year in a row, was among the 10 poems performed out of thousands submitted.

The theme of this year's "Utakai Hajime'' (歌会始 )" is "Friends''(友), and more than 15,000 tanka poems were submitted from all over the country and overseas.

First, the verses of the 10 selected poets were performed in front of Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress and members of the Imperial Family in accordance with the traditional ceremony.

This time, Mr. Yoshiyama, as a parent watching over his child's growing up [to adulthood], wrote about that feeling:

「ともだちを友人と呼ぶやうになり子は就活をほどなく終へる」

[Jundo: I need help from Kokuu and our other Treeleaf poets here I will try this, pending expert input:]

"Childhood 'pals' now called one's 'friends, as, finally, child finishes first job hunt."

Ms. Yoshiyama said, "I am surprised and lucky to be selected again this time. I think that the appeal of these poems is that they can express scenes and feelings in words, and that we can share emotions with each other through them, so I will continue to enjoy it. I would like to continue to write verses in the same way."

The theme for next year's Utakai Hajime is "Wa" (和), Harmony, and works will be accepted from the 18th to the 30th of September this year.

A FILM OF HIS RECITATION (REALLY SOMETHING TO SEE) IS HERE:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/lnews/mito/20...070019732.html

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-18-2023 at 01:17 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

He looked... very excited, to the right eyes, I am sure.

Also, I love that events like this exist.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

That feels hard to make into anything like an English tanka.

With probably more than a little poetic license:

the moment when
    childhood playmates
    become friends
    her first successful
    job hunt

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    That feels hard to make into anything like an English tanka.

With probably more than a little poetic license:

the moment when
    childhood playmates
    become friends
    her first successful
    job hunt

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    I hope it is okay ... you are now famous ...

... in Tsukuba ...

... among foreigners in Tsukuba ...

... who are on facebook ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tsuk...07407036007280

Gassho, J

PS - If you would like to watch the entire arcane ritual, this is from last year (2022) ... I think that sitting with very good posture is 1/2 of it ...

Last edited by Jundo; 01-19-2023 at 03:11 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE