Thread: Living out and into the precepts

Living out and into the precepts

Hi all,

I'm hoping to start a conversation/ thread about how we live out and into the precepts. Hopefully this can be a place to support one another in this great effort.

Currently I am working with the intoxicants precept. I don't use drugs at all and I rarely drink alcohol. That said, I'm coming to see that the spirit of the precept probably isn't so limited in scope.

I have a tendency to stress eat, especially anything sweet. This has definitely caused suffering in my life and subsequently in the lives of others. I'm working to view sugar and excessive calories as a form of intoxicant.

Gassho,

W

Hi Will,

in case you haven't seen it already - our yearly 3 month period of reflecting on the precepts culminated into yesterday's Jukai ceremony.
    We visited this precept, too and you might find the study material here: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...m-Intoxication interesting.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hi Will,

Welcome! It's great to have you here!

I have found that studying and being guided by the precepts is a slow unfolding; I don't follow them perfectly, far from it, but I do find that day by day, I'm aware of them, especially when I'm breaking one of them.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Hi Will,

in case you haven't seen it already - our yearly 3 month period of reflecting on the precepts culminated into yesterday's Jukai ceremony.
    We visited this precept, too and you might find the study material here: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...m-Intoxication interesting.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Yes, not too late at all to join in the readings and discussion there.

We all need to come to our own understanding of the Precepts, and how that meaning fits into our own personal lives. However, the way it was worded for our Jukai Ceremony yesterday is this ...

To seek as you can, in this body and life, to refrain from intoxication in its many forms

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE