Thread: Zen Japanese Dharma Names 或者嘘

Zen Japanese Dharma Names 或者嘘

或者嘘 I find translations of my name into Japanese Kojie almost impossible, and even confusing, and as I used Google translator to find the Konjie, and I find some using various translations of English letters into Japanese and many do use the normal given English names and some have asked that the Japanese in an ancient dialect, or how are we to what all this confusion "means?" Thank you for guessing. How would I ever write these Konjie wi thtr a pen and for that matter what is the exact translation of the words Konjie, or Conje or any form how is it written? I find many forms of Conje, Kojie, etc.
    Gassho
    sat. lah.
    或者嘘
    Tai shi
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-21-2023 at 12:07 AM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    或者嘘 I find translations of my name into Japanese Kojie almost impossible, and even confusing, and as I used Google translator to find the Konjie, and I find some using various translations of English letters into Japanese and many do use the normal given English names and some have asked that the Japanese in an ancient dialect, or how are we to what all this confusion "means?" Thank you for guessing. How would I ever write these Konjie wi thtr a pen and for that matter what is the exact translation of the words Konjie, or Conje or any form how is it written? I find many forms of Conje, Kojie, etc.
    Gassho
    sat. lah.
    或者嘘
    Tai shi
    Hi Tai Shi,

Your name is Tai Shi ("泰 Peaceful/Tranquil 詩 Poem/Poetry"), which I selected several years ago because you are one of our Treeleaf poets!

You have to remember that there are many homonyms in Japanese that use very different Kanji characters, so have very different and unrelated meanings even though they may sound about the same. For example Tai Shi 鯛飼 would mean "fish cultivation" (specifically, red snapper), and you are not that. Tai Shi 屧輜 would mean "wooden shoe wagon," which also does not make much sense either, unless perhaps if you are an absurdist poet!

I am not sure what 或者嘘 means, and it is definitely not Japanese. In Chinese, it may mean "or some liar," I believe, and you are certainly not that either!

What is "Conje/Kojie/Konjie," as I am not familiar with these terms? I do not think that they are Japanese either.

In any case, since many folks will be receiving Dharma Names this week, it is a good question about not confusing homonyms with the Kanji in one's name.

And when to use the name? Well, most folks would just use them within the Sangha, not out in the world. Some folks, like authors, poets, musicians, do use their Dharma Names outside, but it is a personal choice. Also, inside the Sangha, one does not need to use one's Dharma name. That is also a personal choice. So, I have given Dharma Names to several folks who mostly still use their given birth names in their posting around here.

Did that help? I am sorry that I am not sure about some of that.

By the way, your daughter is a Japanese scholar! You should ask her too.

Gassho, Jundo (or Jim is fine)
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-10-2023 at 02:58 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I like "wooden shoe wagon" for one of my students

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    I like "wooden shoe wagon" for one of my students

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    being from the netherlands, i like that one too

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

What is "Conje/Kojie/Konjie," as I am not familiar with these terms?
    I think Tai Shi means kanji.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

I still laugh at mine. "Ankai" does not describe me when I was new to Zen, or Treeleaf !

Sat today.
    Gassho!
    護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    I think Tai Shi means kanji.
    Oh, I see. Tai Shi, your "Peaceful/Tranquil Poetry" Kanji are these, accept no other:

Last edited by Jundo; 01-11-2023 at 12:06 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by KvonNJ View Post
    I still laugh at mine. "Ankai" does not describe me when I was new to Zen, or Treeleaf !

Sat today.
    I could not understand mine at first for similar reasons. However, over time I came to realize that it fits me perfectly - now and not yet.

Gassho2 stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

After receiving my Dharma name and telling my wife what it translated to she said “that suits you perfectly”.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

When I received my dharma name after Jukai, I thought: “What a jokester, this Jundo.”

After given an additional name and the original name changing meaning, I thought: “What a jokester, this Jundo. (And I hope I’ll one day grow into it )

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

when i received my dharma name i asked: does it say what i do or what i have to work on? My teacher said: both..
    it took me many, many years and the help of Kodo zen-is-good-for-nothing Sawaki zenji to do so..

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

I had previously been given my Dharma name Onki but I never felt right using it. The way my teacher described it was “gentle energy” which yes, that could be used to describe me. I much prefer Jundo’s description as “kindness energy.” After being a part of Treeleaf for some time I now finally feel good about using my Dharma name.

Gasshō,

Onki

Sat today

Spiritdove
    My ancestor Geronimo an Apache shaman and was called chief but was not who's real name was Goyathlay meaning "One who yawns" because he yawned a lot when a child. Nothing to do with buddhism but I thought it was neat since I name all my pets after how they act or what they look like . But most times its from Star trek. haha I just see there is so much relations with my Native American past and Buddhism. Tibetans especially they even look Native American. anyways Ya'll have a good weekend wherever you are. Be safe

Marj "Spiritdove"
    Sat Tday.