Thread: [Ecodharma] Schedule for group reading and discussion of Active Hope

[Ecodharma] Schedule for group reading and discussion of Active Hope

Hi all

Here is the schedule for posting prompts for Active Hope. Feel free to split the chapter into parts so that no post covers more than ten pages.

Into + Chapter One - Kokuu
    Chapter Two - Doshin
    Chapter Three - Tairin
    Chapter Four - Naiko
    Chapter Five - Heiso
    Chapter Six - Kokuu
    Chapter Seven - Tairin
    Chapter Eight - Naiko
    Chapter Nine - Heiso

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 04-24-2023 at 06:49 PM.

Hi Kokuu

I don’t yet have the book. I’ll buy it today. I am happy to take any of the slots three, four, or five.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thanks, Tairin!

Thank you Tairin. Would you be okay with Chapter 3?

Heiso and Naiko also volunteered. Your choice?

Also, what is the amount of time the group would like to take on each section? Two weeks?

Thanks

Doshin
    St

I would take either 4 or 5, depending on Heiso’s preference. I see that some chapters are longer and more dense. I think chapter 4 looks like we could spend 2 weeks on it.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

I don't know if I should or not take a chapter, as I will be reading an earlier edition of the book.
    I think for now, one week per chapter is doable; but when the end-of-year vacations are over, we should perhaps take two weeks per chapter so that everyone have time to read and comment.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Thank you Tairin. Would you be okay with Chapter 3?
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Also, what is the amount of time the group would like to take on each section? Two weeks?
    Two weeks sound good to me. Not having started the book yet I don’t know how heavy going it is but each chapter appears to be 15 to 20 pages long. No point in rushing. Hopefully we can get some good discussion.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

i've read the book some years ago, and i do not remember if i found it difficult to read. But treeleaf has members all over the world and English is not for every one the mother tongue.. So maybe it is a good idea to take two weeks for a chapter..

my two eurocents

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Generally we have split chapters into sections if they run over ten pages, as more than that is too much really to talk about in a week. Give that there are thirteen chapters plus the introduction, two weeks for each chapter will take 26-27 weeks which is fine, and even gives space for catch-up breaks if we need them.

I will pencil Naiko and Tairin for chapters four and three respectively, and Heiso for five by default if nothing changes.

Mateus, maybe we can wait and see how similar the books are before signing you up, but I don't imagine there will be huge differences.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Generally we have split chapters into sections if they run over ten pages, as more than that is too much really to talk about in a week. Give that there are thirteen chapters plus the introduction, two weeks for each chapter will take 26-27 weeks which is fine, and even gives space for catch-up breaks if we need them.

I will pencil Naiko and Tairin for chapters four and three respectively, and Heiso for five by default if nothing changes.

Mateus, maybe we can wait and see how similar the books are before signing you up, but I don't imagine there will be huge differences.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Thanks, Kokuu.

Mateus
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Sorry, just seen this, I've been largely offline during the holidays. This looks good to me.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah