Thread: Building A Monastery At Home

Building A Monastery At Home

Sometimes folks ask whether they can and should bring Zen monastic practices into their ordinary home, work and family lives. Should they stick to strict schedules of ritualized behavior? Must one seek to be mindful and graceful in every step and gesture? Should they Chant more during their day, and otherwise limit speech or undertake strict vows of silence? Would it be good to take most meals in slow Oryoki ceremony, bow to the toilet and sink before each use, sleep on a hard bed, wear only plain robes? Should one disconnect from media and, as much as possible, from all other distractions and worldly concerns? Is it good and necessary to sit Zazen each day for hours on end? Should we strive to encounter all people and every activity as practice, when cooking, cleaning, doing office work, dealing with difficult individuals at home or at our jobs?

Certainly, all those practices are powerful, many are excellent to add to our lives, with important reminders and insights embedded in them: We can be more aware of our small actions, rather than rushing through life mindlessly, as we often do. Words in gratitude and humility before eating can remind us of the gift of food, and all the labors and natural wonders which bring it to our mouths. Bowing to toilet and bathtub, desk and dirty floors to scrub can express our recognition that all are sacred in their way. Simpler and healthier meals, fewer furnishings and possessions, functional clothes and less material concerns impress on us that the real treasures of life are not found in an excess of things. Less words and less media helps us disentangle from the clutter of ideas and debate that floods our heads and heart, revealing open clarity in its place.

However, in seeking to "live more like a monk," it is vital not to confuse the outer appearance and forms of ritual life with the wisdom and compassion that such rituals are meant to instill. In other words, don't confuse the delivery truck with the package which is to be delivered, or the jelly jar for the sweet jelly within! The real fruits of these practices are not about mimicking or living up to some romantic image of a monk in a temple, but about finding the real temple within one's own heart. Buddhist wisdom and compassion can be found on the city streets, in the news reports of distant wars, in the tumult of our family and jobs, in the subway or resisting those tempting online shops, not only in some idealized wooden Buddha halls in the Himalayas. Where is Buddha not? Where is the Genjo Koan, the Koan of this reality right here, not presenting itself endlessly?

Thus, I sometimes remind folks of this:

• A regimented schedule may be lovely sometimes, but also learn the heart which floats free and at ease amid all the chaotic changes and surprises of life. Even as you run around in the race of places to go and people to see, find the "no place ever in need of going," and what Zen folks call "Ichi-go ichi-ai" ('each single encounter is the one meeting') that is the stillness within, no matter your running feet. Picking up the kids at school, rushing in traffic to the office, or dashing to light the altar incense are all the same 'stillness-running.' In this way, one gets the chores done ... though there was never anything to do, nothing ever lacking. Remember, feeling "disturbance" and "problem" are more a matter of subjective reaction between your own ears to what is just a "situation" or "circumstances" outside. The monk with her daily rituals and schedules should learn nothing different, for otherwise she is just in a monastic rat race of her own.

• It is good not to overtalk or get overly caught up in ideas and words. This is true today especially, in this age of information overload. But also, know the Silence (Big "S") which is both all words and ideas and all ordinary worldly silence, the Silence which is even present as talking heads on the TV, babies crying, horns honking and bombs exploding. Chant the old chants some times during the day, but hear the Chant which never ends and does not depend on words. The monk, in silent reflection, learns nothing different. If not, he is a prisoner of babble even in the quiet valley with still tongue.

• Live more simply, knowing the difference between things you truly need for a healthy and balanced life, and the things you only crave, chase after as a trend, tire of and throw away. However, the monk, with their few robes and possessions, released from many mundane obligations, might forget this too if they commence chasing after fancier robes, sect promotions and titles, drums and bells and other temple trappings, as a calling becomes just another career.

• Bow with pressed palms to ordinary objects, to people, to any moment of life. Know that one need not bow just to wooden Buddha statues or fellow Buddhists. The sacred place of practice is not only the temple kitchen or Zen Hall floors, but your household kitchen and dirty garage to straighten. Cooking and cleaning at home, doing office work, dealing with difficult people at our jobs is just a variation on cooking and cleaning at the temple, balancing the temple books, paying for the temple roof repairs, dealing with difficult people at the temple. Whether cleaning and fixing your household goods or temple goods, know the heart of equanimity which leaps through all judgements of "clean vs. dirty, pure and impure, complete or broken" even as one keeps dusting and fixing. The monk who fails to know this very same non-attachment to outcomes and dropping of opposites is also a prisoner of judgements.

• One can sit Zazen each day for a time, and we do sit each day as a special doing in which we put all doing down. However, if one sits caught up in notions of Zazen that "more is better," that there are points to earn by quantity, that there is something to achieve ... one will fail to achieve the dropping of all need for achievement: Namely, the True Achievement, Clarity and Healing found in freedom from all need to attain, fix, fill and achieve. Whether sitting long or short, sit for some time beyond all measures of "long vs. short," and without breaking life down into piled up moments of ticking clock. Do not fail to sit, sometimes long and sometimes short ... but sit every time as timeless. Each instant of Zazen is ALL TIME too. If one is a monk sitting for days on end, but bound to thoughts of depth and progress, distant satori and distant Buddhas, one is truly making far away what is right in hand. If one sits (for even a moment) knowing this moment as completely this moment, shining as the morning star just shining, sitting just to sit, aware that nothing lacks from this crazy moment, and there is no before or after ... such is a moment of Buddha sitting.

In such questions, perhaps there is a little jealousy of the monkish lifestyle, seemingly free of all the duties and entanglements of modern life, or a belief that lay practice in the modern city and suburbs is somehow less real than what goes on behind closed gates deep in the Chinese or Japanese mountains. However, monks have their own problems, obligations, human entanglements and feelings. One's fellow priests are one's family as much as a spouse, grandparents and kids. Some note that the Zen monastic environment, far from being a life of peaceful relaxation amid a community of easy-going fellow seekers, can be a hard grinding-stone with its own stresses and tensions, and Zen monks can be as varied and trying in personality and hang-ups as any human beings. The rough stones rubbing together become smooth, the challenges are our Koans. Thus, while the monastic lifestyle is to be celebrated, and those who find their path within its walls are to be honored, we also should not overly romanticize such things, nor confine Buddha within those walls. The Buddha declared repeatedly that "household life is crowded and dusty," thus practice at home is "not easy." But he never said impossible! It too is a "life wide open" if the heart is wide open. Practice at home is the harder practice (yes, the monastery is actually the easier road), and the harder practice can yield the greater rewards.

As Master Dogen reminds us (in Bendowa):

Those who think that worldly tasks can hinder the Buddha Dharma only think there is no Buddha Dharma in worldly things; they do not know that there are no worldly things in the Buddha Dharma.

It is not the outer form that matters, but what you find right here ...

... in Kansas as much as Kyoto, in Llasa or London,
    wearing black robes or blue jeans ...
    ... dancing as all outer forms, stillness amid the daily bustle,
    tending to kids or fellow monks,
    chanting, then singing the hit tunes on the radio.

Gassho, J

stlah

tsuku.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-26-2022 at 01:58 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I am reminded:

"When the World-Honored One was walking with his assembly, he pointed to the ground with his hand and said, “This place is good for building a temple.” Hearing this, the god Indra took a stalk of grass and stuck it in the ground and said, “The temple has been built.” At this, the World-Honored One smiled."

I think sometimes I have made too much of there being a "hut" on the premises. Here in the living room, due to some restricted movement issues, I am parked up in an easy chair and a holiday flows around and through me. Where is my duty toward vow in this? A flow from attachments toward compassionate equanimity; enough for now, neh? _()_

a bit long.

gassho
    dssat
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you Jundo.

Years ago I believed that to truly practice Zen I needed to do so in a monastery setting. That put Zen out of reach for me. I am glad there is a path for us householders to support our practice

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Those who think that worldly tasks can hinder the Buddha Dharma only think there is no Buddha Dharma in worldly things; they do not know that there are no worldly things in the Buddha Dharma.
    Thank you, Jundo. You know how I tend to make my life into that of a monk and all the trouble it causes me and my family. The household life is truly a beautiful and valid path to walk the Buddha Dharma way. Truly, all of life is our temple and there is Buddha, Dharma and Sangha in all our household lay life as well as in monastery life.

Mateus
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

I came to Zen through Catholic monastics, Trappists to be precise, and the Rule of Saint Benedict they follow. One of the first “Buddhist” books I read was “Benedict’s Dharma” comparing life in Catholic and Zen monasteries. Although I’m moving past my Christian beliefs there is still much wisdom to be gained from the Benedictine/Cistercian/Trappist tradition that applies to living as a “zen lay person” and vice versa. It’s important for me to remember not to leave everything I’ve learned in the past decade behind because much of it is transferable.
    Gassho,
    SAT
    Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jundo, and all the great comments. I really like the Rule of Benedict too, Jason, despite not having ever been Catholic. You are right that you do not have to let go of everything you have learned.

"When the World-Honored One was walking with his assembly, he pointed to the ground with his hand and said, “This place is good for building a temple.” Hearing this, the god Indra took a stalk of grass and stuck it in the ground and said, “The temple has been built.” At this, the World-Honored One smiled."
    I love this, Shōnin! Our temple is right here, right now, wherever and whenever here and now might be.

For me, the three principles of living a Zen life, whether in or out of a monastery are:

1. To regularly remind myself of my vows and intentions
    2. To be of service
    3. To give myself fully and completely to life in each moment

Apologies for length.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

I remind myself that my home is a temple if I treat it as one and that my life, sitting, and work are the life, sitting, and work of a bodhisattva so long as I strive to live that way as best as I can.

Stlah

Ryan

Gasshō

SatToday

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I still have the Treeleaf TShirt that says All of life is my temple

So true

Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I still have the Treeleaf TShirt that says All of life is my temple
    So do I. Perhaps someone should make more of them, or design a new t-shirt. Or how about a gang jacket; we could all wear Treeleaf colors as we strut around the zendo.

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    So do I. Perhaps someone should make more of them, or design a new t-shirt. Or how about a gang jacket; we could all wear Treeleaf colors as we strut around the zendo.

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

sat
    If more of them were made, I would definitely buy one.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by KellyLM View Post
    If more of them were made, I would definitely buy one.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly
    We don’t actually sell them. They are available as a gift for donors, instead!! You do have to make them, though

https://www.treeleaf.org/donations-to-treeleaf-sangha/

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    We don’t actually sell them. They are available as a gift for donors, instead!! You do have to make them, though

https://www.treeleaf.org/donations-to-treeleaf-sangha/

Sat Today
    Oh I see. Thanks!

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

sat
    We could do a Treeleaf version of west side story where we'd sort of calmly bump into other rival zen groups using a calm yet aggressive type of kinhin

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    We could do a Treeleaf version of west side story where we'd sort of calmly bump into other rival zen groups using a calm yet aggressive type of kinhin

gassho

risho
    -stlah
    Some tunes ...

I like to be in Nirvana!
    O.K. by me in Nirvana!
    Ev'rything free in Nirvana
    Sit under a tree in Nirvana!

~~~

I feel Zenny,
    Oh, so Zenny,
    I feel Zenny and witty and bright!
    And I savy
    That everything is also me tonight.

~~~

Maitreya!
    I've just met a Buddha named Maitreya,
    And suddenly that name
    Will never be the same
    To me.
    Maitreya!

~~~

When you're a Leafer,
    You're a Treeleafer all the way
    From your first Zazen
    To your last dyin' day.

When you're a Leafer,
    If the Roshi moves the fan,
    You got fellow sitters around,
    You're a Sangha man!

You're never alone,
    You're never disconnected!
    You're home with your own:
    When company's expected,
    You're well protected!

Great song writing; and I don't think Lenny B. needs to worry about his day job

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Great song writing; and I don't think Lenny B. needs to worry about his day job

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    West Side Story lyrics were Stephen Sondheim, music by Lenny.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...ry?id=12345243

Gassho, J

stlah

Those lyrics are superb!

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Thank you again Jundo.

Gassho
    Diana
    Sat