Thread: [Ecodharma] A reality check on nuclear fusion

[Ecodharma] A reality check on nuclear fusion

Dear all

They seems to be a great amount of hope for nuclear fusion to solve our energy problems, in a relatively clean way, and long-term this may indeed be possible. However, for the time being it seems unlikely to be the magic bullet we need to get out of the current climate crisis.

At present, there are two main routes to nuclear fusion. One involves confining searing hot plasma in a powerful magnetic field. The Iter reactor follows such an approach. The other – adopted at the NIF facility – uses lasers to blast deuterium-tritium pellets causing them to collapse and fuse into helium. In both cases, reactions occur at more than 100 million C and involve major technological headaches in controlling them.

Fusion therefore remains a long-term technology, although many new investors and entrepreneurs – including Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos – have recently turned their attention to the field, raising hopes that a fresh commercial impetus could reinvigorate the development of commercial plants.

This input is to be welcomed but we should be emphatic: fusion will not arrive in time to save the planet from climate change. Electricity plants powered by renewable sources or nuclear fission offer the only short-term alternatives to those that burn fossil fuels. We need to pin our hopes on these power sources. Fusion may earn its place later in the century but it would be highly irresponsible to rely on an energy source that will take at least a further two decades to materialise – at best.

(source: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-it-all-before)
    Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Like many problems in life people hold out hope for a magic potion/silver bullet to solve the problem rather than putting in the hard work.

Overweight? I sure wish there was a pill I could take that got my weight under control while still allowing me to eat as I want

COVID? Vaccines will solve all the problems. No need to wear a mask or physically distance.

Ecological disaster? Electric cars are the solution……. No wait! I heard that we have nuclear fusion now. We’re saved!

For the record, every single article I read on the fusion breakthrough cautioned it could be decades before this can be viable at scale. Who knows how many other problems fusion creates.

Sorry for the early morning negativity.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Last edited by Tairin; 12-18-2022 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Corrected fission vs fusion
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

They seems to be a great amount of hope for nuclear fusion to solve our energy problems, in a relatively clean way, and long-term this may indeed be possible.
    i am sorry, but i am sceptical..
    i do not believe in technology to solve technological problems..

aprapti

sat (and sad )

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Quote Originally Posted by aprapti View Post
    i am sorry, but i am sceptical..
    i do not believe in technology to solve technological problems..

aprapti

sat (and sad )
    Humans must solve technological and human problems.

But technology can help solve human and technological problems.

Technology is just human tools, humans are the hands which run technology.

I am working on a book on this topic right now.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-19-2022 at 01:37 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE