Thread: To Save All Sentient Beings...

To Save All Sentient Beings...

Dear sangha

A sangha member asked me:

I've been reading the Lotus Sutra for the first time and for some reason the very definition of the first Bodhisattva Vow has been burning in my mind. I understand, in a simplified conceptual way that it is an aspirational practice of never arriving to its end yet, we continue to work towards it. Regardless, I now keep pondering "Are we destined to fail?" I question even if I am good enough to even crawl an inch towards whatever this "save all sentient beings" is.
    It is a good question, and I have definitely struggled with all of the vows, particularly that first one. Initially it just felt wrong to have taken a vow that I could never live up to, like making a promise to a friend that I already knew I couldn't fulfil. I think the questioner already put it pretty well with "I understand, in a simplified conceptual way that it is an aspirational practice of never arriving to its end yet, we continue to work towards it."

If I may add my own thoughts, firstly, I think it is meant to be overwhelming. Having a task we can seemingly never accomplish forces us to think about things in a different way, in a similar manner that the huge task of sewing an Okesa for the first time puts you in a position of just proceeding stitch-by-stitch, or sitting a long Sesshin breath-by-breath. The vow is a lived koan a little like a Zen version of Kobayashi Maru – how do we act when there is no way we can succeed? Do we give up or find another way?

On a daily basis we are aware that people fall sick, get injured, and experience grief and loss, hunger, homelessness and war. Tackling any one of these things is the work of numerous government agencies and charitable organisations, let alone one person taking responsibility for all sentient beings everywhere.

So, what are we to do?

For me, the vow comes down to this: what can I do to help save all beings in this very moment, right now, even in a very small way? Sometimes we save all beings by looking after ourselves, sometimes by taking care of our children and family. Sometimes saving all beings looks like smiling at a stranger, giving money or food to a food bank, or not making things worse in a situation of conflict or struggle. At other times it looks like listening to a friend or petting a stray cat. In other words, it is anything we can do to put something positive into the world. One drop of positive action can send out more ripples than we can know.

What we can do depends on our individual circumstances but it is always worth asking the question what saving all beings looks like for you in this moment.

Thinking of others puts us into a path of service. This is what it means to be a bodhisattva. One important thing to remember, though, is that you too are a sentient being, and making sure that you get sufficient food, rest and time with friends and family is also part of the bodhisattva path.

In Living By Vow, Shohaku Okumura relates the Four Vows to the Four Noble Truths so saving all beings relates to the First Noble Truth, the truth of suffering. As dharma practitioners, we can help to free sentient beings by teaching people how to sit and with dharma teachings, but I would caution that compassion should often come before wisdom, and we need to meet people where they are at, rather than where we are at. A hungry person doesn’t want to hear about the power of Zazen to reduce cravings, and someone going through strong grief almost certainly knows more about impermanence than we have to teach them. However, outside of the realm of acute need, there is a reason that sangha is a dharma jewel and being part of Treeleaf means you have the chance to support others through your practice, both here and in the wider community.

At a different level, that of the absolute or universal, saving all beings takes on a different form. In terms of the absolute, in which nothing is discriminated or distinguished, what Jundo often calls 'the whole enchilada' or 'the great wholeness', there are no sentient beings to be saved as we are not separate from anything. In The Diamond Sutra, the Buddha says to Subhuti:

Subhuti, those who would now set forth on the bodhisattva path should thus give birth to the thought: 'However, many beings there are in whatever realms of being might exist... in the realm of complete nirvana I shall liberate them all. And though I thus liberate countless beings, not a single being is liberated'.

(The Diamond Sutra, section three, Red Pine translation)
    So, by recognising that we are not separate from all beings, all beings are liberated in an instant.

One teacher I know renders 'save all beings' as 'be with all things', and that intimacy with everything else allows the self to fall away and reveal the lack of separation.

For me, the first bodhisattva vow essentially comes down to being intimate with life and responding to what is needed in the moment. Don’t overthink it (like I have obviously done above!) but be present and open. Kōdō Sawaki said that life is in a continuous process of giving and receiving. Sometimes we are the hands of Kannon, sometimes the recipient of one of his/her hands. Just by being in the world, we are part of an exchange of oxygen and carbon, and organic matter and minerals, and sometimes it is okay just to be doing that as part of the natural cycle, and not taking more than we need.

In taking the bodhisattva path we have chosen to try to step beyond our self-interest and instead live by vow. Ultimately, nothing is separate and no one needs saving. But there are still people out there who are hungry and need food, and/or homeless and need shelter. Attending to them, or supporting those who do, is an expression of our interconnection as well as the iteration of our vow. We need not become saints, but we can do our best. There is no passing or failing, just living a life out of intention to help, in accordance with both the bodhisattva vows and the three pure precepts. Zen practice can often make us feel peaceful and comfortable with life, even among its more difficult periods, and it is good to remember that it is not all about us, and even if we are okay, there are plenty of beings who are not.

My apologies for running massively long!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 12-15-2022 at 08:24 PM.

Very helpful Kokuu. By coincidence I've been reading Living By Vow and I found this impactful for me and relates to the discussion-

Guishan sat by himself in the deep mountain. Our practice of zazen, like his, resembles a rain drop. We are small and can sit for only a short time. Each drop alone has little power, but still we continue to practice. As raindrops eventually pierce not only moss, but also rock, continuous practice of zazen has the power to make a hole in even a rock.
    Gassho,

MarkJ
    s@

It definitely can seem like a Kobayashi Maru scenario. Thank you for your wisdom and compassion, Kokuu.

Guishan sat by himself in the deep mountain. Our practice of zazen, like his, resembles a rain drop. We are small and can sit for only a short time. Each drop alone has little power, but still we continue to practice. As raindrops eventually pierce not only moss, but also rock, continuous practice of zazen has the power to make a hole in even a rock.
    That's beautiful! Okumura has such a great way of explaining things!

It definitely can seem like a Kobayashi Maru scenario. Thank you for your wisdom and compassion, Kokuu

This is a beautiful essay, Kokuu. Thank you for your teaching.

One thought I carry that I would like your ideas about is (our attempts) to fulfill our vow to save all sentient beings should lead us to consider how every interaction with another might lean toward saving (whatever that means) that being (and ourself), versus an interaction that is neutral or harmful.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

One thought I carry that I would like your ideas about is (our attempts) to fulfill our vow to save all sentient beings should lead us to consider how every interaction with another might lean toward saving (whatever that means) that being (and ourself), versus an interaction that is neutral or harmful.
    I think that is a really good thought to carry, Nengei, and seems such a good intention to bring into each interaction we have with a person or other sentient being, such as an animal.

Is this something that you try to do?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

A vow that has always given me pause to ponder.

As we begin another discussion in our EcoDharma group this topic equally applies as we see the earth the whole of all sentient beings There is a need to “lean toward saving” that which is life.

Doshin
    St

As we begin another discussion in our EcoDharma group this topic equally applies as we see the earth the whole of all sentient beings There is a need to “lean toward saving” that which is life.
    Yes, sentient beings don't just come with two arms and two legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Is this something that you try to do?
    I will say that I try to try to do it. It is not an easy thing to remember to do, but bringing practice into all things helps.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    Last edited by Nengei; 12-16-2022 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks you, Kokuu. Great reminder!

Sat Today lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you, Kokku and others' responses. This thread is helpful.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Kokuu. That is lovely. Deep bows.

Gassho

Shinshi

Thank you, Kokuu. It’s really hard to think about saving all sentient beings, especially when we are overwhelmed by our daily worries and egoic activities. In times like this, I think that to save a single sentient being can mean to save all sentient beings (like to save a human can mean to save all humanity).
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Satlah

Lovely.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Kokuu,

of course you got me with the okesa metaphor - yes - stitch by stitch, step by step.
    I am rendering this vow in such a way for myself, too.
    Not looking at the overwhelming lot of everything in the universe - but here, now, in front of me doing the best I can - not excluding those I personally don't like.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you Kokuu

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thanks for this Kokuu, very well explained!

Gassho,
    Dan
    ST/LAH

Thank you Kokuu for providing this insight.

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

I think of it like homelessness or addiction. I will never see the end of these pro problems that plague humanity. But, I have to approach my work as if that were my goal.

Sat today.
    Gassho!
    護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!

Vowing to save all sentient beings is like vowing to win every soccer match. Just as winning every match is an impossible task for even the best soccer team, saving all sentient beings is an impossible task for any individual. However, just as trying your best and winning as many matches as possible is the goal of a soccer team, trying your best to save as many sentient beings as possible is the goal of someone who makes the vow. In the end, winning means trying your best, not necessarily achieving the impossible task of winning every match or saving all sentient beings.

My 2 shekels.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    I am rendering this vow in such a way for myself, too.
    Not looking at the overwhelming lot of everything in the universe - but here, now, in front of me doing the best I can - not excluding those I personally don't like.

meian stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Vowing to save all sentient beings is like vowing to win every soccer match. Just as winning every match is an impossible task for even the best soccer team, saving all sentient beings is an impossible task for any individual. However, just as trying your best and winning as many matches as possible is the goal of a soccer team, trying your best to save as many sentient beings as possible is the goal of someone who makes the vow. In the end, winning means trying your best, not necessarily achieving the impossible task of winning every match or saving all sentient beings.

My 2 shekels.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH
    Yet the field always holds all the seemingly separate players, and was never in need of rescue at all.

No points to score, no match to lose ... the Buddha Ball already in the net.

And yet, and yet ... let's keep playing during the allotted time, doing our best.

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I am reminded of this: Talmud (Sanhedrin 37a): “Whoever saves a single life is considered by scripture to have saved the whole world."

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Thank you, Kokuu for starting this thread and all the following comments- it is full of such great insight and I have personally found it so helpful. It shines a light very brightly on some of the seemingly insurmountable global issues that assail us all every time we see a news report - climate change, war, famine, poverty, inequality - the list goes on and on. I had a conversation with a close friend of mine this weekend and he was being very pessimistic and fatalistic about the future and I tried, very poorly to explain to him, the philosophy that has been so well discussed in this thread. I rather feebly end up by saying that we must do "what we can, with what we have, where we are" (to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt). This thread has put things into much sharper relief. I have not read "Living By Vow", but it has jumped to the top of my reading list. Thank you for your teaching, this has been an excellent start to a Wednesday.
    Gassho

Mokuseki
    (sat today in the Euro Kiwi SSR)

‘… it’s good to remember it’s not all about us..’
    Thank you Kokuu for this reminder.
    It helps to reflect whether our rushing about is helpful at all or are we being swept along in our own delusion. Sometimes saving all sentient beings starts with us.
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    SAT
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)