Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: Dharma Transmission of Fukudō Kokuu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ANNOUNCEMENT: Dharma Transmission of Fukudō Kokuu

Dear All,

Master Dogen wrote in Shobogenzo-Menju, Face-To-Face Transmission ...

“Then Śākyamuni Buddha, in the order on Vulture Peak in the Western Country, India, among an assembly of millions, picked up an uḍumbara flower and winked. At that time the face of Venerable Mahākāśyapa broke into a smile. Śākyamuni Buddha said, ‘I possess the right Dharma-eye treasury and the fine mind of nirvana. I transmit them to Mahākāśyapa.’”

In this way the true ancestral masters of successive generations have each passed on the face-to-face transmission through the disciple regarding the master and the master seeing the disciple. ... When master and disciple have definitely seen each other, have been seen by each other, have given the face-to-face transmission, and have succeeded to the Dharma, that is the realization of the truth which resides in the ancestors’ face-to-face transmission. Thus, master and disciple have directly taken on the brightness of the Tathāgata’s face. In sum, even after thousands of years, or myriad years, or hundreds of kalpas, or koṭis of kalpas, this face-to-face transmission is the appearance of the face of, and the realization of the transmission from, Śākyamuni Buddha. ... Even before a word is comprehended and even before understanding of half a word is transcended, when the master has seen the back of the disciple’s head, and the disciple has regarded the master through the crown of the head, that is the authentic face-to-face transmission
    I am so very pleased to announce that I have bestowed Dharma Transmission upon a Priest of this Sangha, Andrew Fukudō Kokuu (福道 石宇) McLellan. He is now recognized as a Fully Ordained Priest and Teacher in the Soto Zen Tradition. I hope that you will rejoice with us and so welcome him. This Soto Zen Tradition continues from generation to generation in this manner.

He joins his Transmitted Dharma Siblings in this Lineage, Jindō Shōkai Maxwell and Hondō Kyōnin Barros.

As such, their work here at Treeleaf is done, and they are free to go where they wish to establish their own Sangha and their own students. There is no need for them to remain here now, at Treeleaf. That being said, it is my understanding that they wish to stay, and in that, I rejoice and so welcome them. Perhaps not much will so visibly change, and they just remain the same three beautiful gentlemen as always. Please know that, should anything ever happen to me whereby I am unable to continue my own role at Treeleaf, this place would be in the good hands of Shokai, Kyonin, Kokuu, and their successors.

The Ceremony of Dharma Transmission is traditionally conducted privately and face-to-face, only between Teacher and Disciple, as was done in these cases. This Soto Zen Tradition continues from generation to generation in this manner.

Master Dogen has written ...

In conclusion, the great truth of the Buddhist Ancestors is nothing other than a face giving and a face receiving, and the reception of a face and the giving of a face, beyond which there is nothing surplus and nothing lacking. We should rejoice in, delight in, believe in, and serve whatever has had the opportunity to meet this face-to-face transmission, even if it is our own features
    Nine Bows, Chigen Jundō (知原 純道)

~~~~~~~~~

A Haiku I stumbled upon by Kokuu ...

one footstep
    after another
    temple bell
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-21-2024 at 08:43 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Congratulations, Kokuu. I’m very happy for you, and honored to be able to continue to practice with and learn from you.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Satlah

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah

I am deeply honoured to take my place as a dharma successor of Chigen Jundō Roshi, in the lineage of my dharma 'grandfather', Gudō Wafu Nishijima (1919-2014), and dharma 'great-grandfather', Zuigaku Rempo Niwa (1905-1993).

I wish to extend my huge thanks to Jundo for ten years of excellent teaching and guidance (not to mention patience!), helping me to understand and (hopefully) embody the truth of this way, and for the opportunity to serve at Treeleaf and beyond. I am also incredibly grateful for the support of my wonderful dharma brothers and sisters in the priest training programme, and to all of our equally wonderful lay members, many of whom I consider friends.

As Jundo says, I have no plans to go anywhere, and teachers do not spring fully formed out of dharma transmission but take time to learn. I may, however, give a few more talks. Otherwise, I just want to continue to serve the sangha and enjoy practicing with you as normal.

With the deepest of bows to all of you. Thank you for your continuing practice. Treeleaf is what we all make it

passing the flame
    from one warm hand
    to another —
    in the light of the autumn moon
    nothing is hidden

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 11-30-2022 at 02:55 AM.

Congratulations Kokuu!

My first sit here was with a recording of one of the Ryaku Fusatsu Kokuu leads. I was very nervous to sit with all of you, and I was fighting a lot of anxiety in joining here at Treeleaf.
    But that sit just felt like coming home. It felt like I'd said all those words before, although they were all truly foreign to me.

I appreciate you, Kokuu. I would not be walking this path without you. (Or any of you here)

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    SatLah
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Congratulations Kokuu!!

Gassho

Zenkon

congratulations, Kokuu ! This news made me very happy..

and thank you for this poem:

passing the flame
    from one warm hand
    to another —
    in the light of the autumn moon
    nothing is hidden

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Congratulations Rev. Kokuu!
    Deep bow
    Gassho

Rocío
    ST

By all the Buddhas!

This is so auspicious! I am so happy and humbled by this.

From the bottom of my heart, congratulations to Kokuu and Jinkan. The Buddhadharma is well cared for.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I am really happy for you both, my most sincere congratulations

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Congratulations! Nice to have so many transmitted teachers here

Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Such wonderful news. Congratulations Kokuu. You made me feel very welcome when I first joined.
    And to Jinkan again, congratulations!

Deep bows
    Anna
    satlah

Congratulations to both of you. May your path forward be of benefit to all.

Thank you for this commitment

Doshin
    St

Just a few minutes ago, before I saw this page, I congratulated Kokuu on his "upcoming" dharma transmission. Well, it has already happened! Like many people here, this news put a smile on my face and warmed my heart. During my over a year here, I've had so much help from Kokuu and I don't think I can repay his kindness. So, congratulations again! And of course, I'm happy to congratulate Jinkan!

The subtle teaching, the Treasure of the Eye of the True Dharma is now once again in safe hands, as it has been for centuries.

Gassho,
    Doğukan
    sat.

Congratulations Kokuu! So pleased to see this news.

Deep bows to you Kokuu
    Onka
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Congrats Kokuu. I have been practicing for 7 years and wondering what helped you. Few questions (to either you or Jundo)

- How long have you been practicing Zen? (you mentioned 10 years at treeleaf, curious how long before)
    - How many retreats did you sit and on the average how long are they?
    - How long did you work with Jundo?
    - What do you think are the main things that helped you in attaining the way?

Also curious if our online dharma transmission is recognized by Sotoshu (or whatever the official organization is). How does Jundo decide to give it? Is it once they see the student has dropped off body-mind? Or even few years of practice after that?

Gassho,
    Sam

Since you asked about me too ...

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    ... Few questions (to either you or Jundo)

- How long have you been practicing Zen? ...
    Coming up to 40 years soon.

Dozens and Dozens, ranging from a few days to several weeks in length. Sometimes we practice long and hard, all to realize that it is never a matter of length of time or measure.

62 years, in this lifetime anyway.

Keeping going, seeking to do better and the best I could ... not too tight nor too loose ... all while coming to realize that there is no where to go but here, nothing to attain but this, nothing lacking and nothing in need of repair ... even as we seek to fix what needs fixing.

Also curious if our online dharma transmission is recognized by Sotoshu (or whatever the official organization is).
    Sotoshu, as the religious organization of Japan, has no say or interest in perhaps 8 out of 10 Dharma Transmissions in the West among all Lineages. Their main concern is in certifying priests, usually the sons of priest fathers, to inherit the family temple in Japan. Since most westerners have no interest or expectation of inheriting a temple in Japan to serve as a parish priest, few bother with Sotoshu. Maybe 20% of western priests do register with Sotoshu (the Deshimaru Lineage does so), as some kind of "foreign missionary." Most have no interest in that.

The Soto Zen Buddhist Association in North America is not a certifying body. However, several of our Treeleaf Priests are members. I left there in protest (though it was rather mutual), primarily of their refusal to recognize the waver of non-residential training for priests facing great physical disabilities and like hardships.

How does Jundo decide to give it? Is it once they see the student has dropped off body-mind? Or even few years of practice after that?
    There are many factors which go into such decision. Even in the old days, I believe that teachers saw a student and knew how much they had embodied the wisdom and compassion of this path by their words and actions.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-06-2022 at 12:28 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

"The place, the way, has not carried over from the past and it is not merely arising now."

Nine bows.

gassho
    ds sat
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Hi Sam

Good questions!

Congrats Kokuu.
    Thank you!

- How long have you been practicing Zen? (you mentioned 10 years at treeleaf, curious how long before)
    Zen, just the ten years at Treeleaf, however I have been engaged in Buddhist practice since 1997, so twenty-five years in total, including Theravada and several Tibetan Buddhist traditions (Gelug, Kagyu and sitting with a local Nyingma group). I lived in a Tibetan Buddhist dharma centre for six months at one point.

I don't know if you know, but I have a chronic illness that means I have difficulty in leaving my apartment. This has been the case for the last ten years. However, before that I did attend some retreats. I did a week long silent retreat, several other week retreats, a month long retreat when I lived in a dharma centre, a number of five day self-guided retreats at home, and a few Rohatsu weekends. They were all good experiences but not as important for me as day-to-day sitting and practicing with my illness and all of life.

Ten years.

Faith, trust and practice. Reading lots of teachers who have practiced a lot, and then practicing a lot. Also, having good teachers and interacting with others who are practicing. Being of service to the community. Have I attained the way? I don't know, but I think I have some grasp of what 'this' is, 'this' being reality and Zen practice, which are not separate.

Also curious if our online dharma transmission is recognized by Sotoshu (or whatever the official organization is). How does Jundo decide to give it? Is it once they see the student has dropped off body-mind? Or even few years of practice after that?
    I don't believe it is, and since the Soto Zen Buddhist Association (SZBA) does not recognise my online ordination, I doubt they do either. To be honest, I am not one for official stamps of recognition and see priest training and eventual transmission as a covenant of trust between student and teacher, which is also verified by the sangha they serve. I have no plans to have an official position that is recognised by either Sotoshu or the SZBA. I just want to help people.

I hope that helps, Sam. I will be giving a talk about transmission soon, which will hopefully answer some other questions both you and others have. I can also say that transmission was never a goal I had when I started at Treeleaf, or something to attain. My approach has been to dedicate to my practice and helping others, and I would do that with or without transmission, and with or without ordination. The robe and transmission documents allow me to help in more ways I think, and I hope not to discredit either of those, but practice is practice, and service is service. Life is full and complete just as it is.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -satabitovertheweekend!-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 12-05-2022 at 09:05 AM.

I hope that helps, Sam. I will be giving a talk about transmission soon, which will hopefully answer some other questions both you and others have. I can also say that transmission was never a goal I had when I started at Treeleaf, or something to attain. My approach has been to dedicate to my practice and helping others, and I would do that with or without transmission, and with or without ordination. The robe and transmission documents allow me to help in more ways I think, and I hope not to discredit either of those, but practice is practice, and service is service. Life is full and complete just as it is.

... and this is why you will make such a good priest. Thank you for being a dear friend both here and away from Tree Leaf.
    The Haiku is beautiful

Gassho

Jinyo

Sat today

Others here have expressed their joy for Kokuu's transmission so eloquently.

I saw a few comments of how much Kokuu has helped them on their journey -- I'm in that league also, for "a few" years.

Nine Deep Bows

Gassho2, meian st

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Congratulations Kokuu!

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Congratulations Kokuu! Félicitations !

Sitting in your company at Tonglen Practice is a real privilege ; your kind presence always soothe my mind. Merci !

Mokushō 黙唱

Sat today

Thanks Kokuu and Jundo for answering my questions. Apologies about the retreat question Kokuu, I didn't know about your illness.

Wish you best with your practice and helping others.

Gassho,
    Sam
    ST

Excellent news! Congratulations to all.

Sat Today
    Choboku