Thread: Practice of Shingon style

Practice of Shingon style

Hi

I share video at today.

Practice of Shingon sect.

I don’t know about detail,but monk teach me,this style is traditional Japanese style.

Japanese Shinto style and Shingon style mixed.

Try to be pure body and mind.

Gassho
    Sat Lah
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

That looks really interesting! Thank you for sharing, Kakunen.

Do you know what is happening there? It looks like they are burning purifying herbs?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Ah, that is a fire walking ceremony by Yamabushi (山伏), wild mountain monks who practice "Shugen-do" (修験道 ... the way of self-trials and verification) associated with the esoteric Shingon Buddhist sect. More about the Yamabushi here ...

Shugen-dō, a Japanese religious tradition combining folk beliefs with indigenous Shintō and Buddhism, to which have been added elements of Chinese religious Taoism. The Shugen-dō practitioner, the yamabushi (literally, “one who bows down in the mountains”), engages in spiritual and physical disciplines in order to attain magical power effective against evil spirits. Mountains, considered in folk religions “other worlds,” were for the esoteric Buddhists training grounds for ascetics. ... Shugen-dō flourished during the Heian period (AD 794–1185) and allied itself with the esoteric schools of Buddhism, Tendai, and Shingon. As a “mountain religion,” Shugen-dō emphasized pilgrimages and retreats to sacred mountains. The yamabushi served as guides for pilgrims visiting Yoshino and Kumano, sacred mountains inhabited by Shintō kami (sacred power or gods). In this way the yamabushi helped the spread of Buddhism through northern Japan. Many Buddhist priests belonging to esoteric traditions regularly spent some time in mountain retreats developing yamabushi techniques ...
    Here is an example of the kind of fire walking ceremony that Kyonin and I saw, when he came to Japan the highlights of which include the monks splashing themselves with boiling water, a powerful Hannya Shingyo, and the monks dashing through the bonfires ... and then Kyonin and I walked across the burning embers (not so hard or hot, assuming that one keeps moving and does not get a coal stuck to one's foot ) ...

Worth watching ...

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-03-2022 at 12:38 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo! It is easy to see why they might get more spectators than a bunch of people sitting Zazen!

I have a book called The Catalpa Bow which talks about yamabushi. It seems that the Shugendo order was banned in 1873 by the Meiji government but survived within the Shingon and Tendai traditions.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Thank you, Jundo! It is easy to see why they might get more spectators than a bunch of people sitting Zazen!

I have a book called The Catalpa Bow which talks about yamabushi. It seems that the Shugendo order was banned in 1873 by the Meiji government but survived within the Shingon and Tendai traditions.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Well, in all fairness, our Soto ceremonies are also lovely and enchanting, and there’s a beautiful dance to them, though we don’t walk on fire

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

How funny. I was just reading about Shugendo yesterday because Sekishi posted an image of his long ago attempt at making a khakkara/shakujo and I found out about them by googling the names.

I stumbled across this video (haven't watched it)

http://shugendonow.com/#home-trailer

I guess there are some folks who practice this in the US.

There is a Rinzai group in Wisconsin that practices it for example

https://www.korinji.org/

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

That looks really interesting! Thank you for sharing, Kakunen.

Do you know what is happening there? It looks like they are burning purifying herbs?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    I am not sure but this is special wood.Same sect at near Tokyo explain such like so.

https://www.takaosan.or.jp/taiken/hiwatari.html
    This page,sorry in Japanese.Named 撫で木.

Gassho
    Sat today
    LAH
    Kakunen

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Yes,Meiji government stoped Shugendo,Shugendo is kind of integration about Buddhism and Shinto(Japanese God).
    But they choose pure Shinto to keep country.So Shugendo stoped,but lots of people keep on practicing so long year.
    So Shugend came back.

Gassho
    Sat today
    LAH
    kakunen

I've seen a few videos, perhaps on NHK, about Yamabushi in northern Japan who are leading retreats and hikes for curious visitors, and it's seeming to have become a little bit more of a thing these past years. I wonder if any of them are on TikTok?
    Gassho,
    Chris